COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Thunder delay opinions

In the most recent update, Ideas to Reality, Vye said the following:

"And before you ask, yes, you can determine the distance between you and a lightning strike by counting, though the system isn’t implemented just yet. And with Elyria’s scale being different than ours, it’ll likely be around one second per 100 meters, rather than one second per kilometer."

Since the world is only being scaled down from a broad perspective; not everything in it (trees, buildings, etc.), do you think it would make more sense to have the sound of thunder in Elyria travel as fast as it does in our world (331.6 m/s) or to have it at 100 m/s?

Happy, as always.

10/24/2016 3:03:09 PM #1

The maths on 331.6m/s is a little tricky.

"Hmm four seconds, the lightening is 1326.4 meters away, we should be okay for a little bit guys, keep going."

I think 100m/s is just as easier number to actually play with. Also if it is 331.6m/s why do we count it as 1km every second in the real world?

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/24/2016 3:17:44 PM #2

Hey folks,

First, sorry about the math error. I provided the information for that part, and I wanted to say one second per x m/s rather than one second per y m/s, however, I was coming from 3s = 1 km and I multiplied 1 by 3 instead of dividing 3 by 1 - that while thinking 5s per mile. In any case.

It should have read 1 second per 100 m/s instead of 1 second per 340 m/s.

As for the time dilation, it's there to provide a bit easier math for people, nothing more. "The lightning was 1 second before the thunder, it's 100m away".

This results in just a little bit over 1 minute to walk there, a little over 30 seconds to jog there, and about 15 seconds to sprint there. (actual numbers are a bit longer but provides a reasonable estimation for survival purposes)

10/24/2016 3:29:45 PM #3

The real question is can lightening strikes cause fires? :) Also good grief man, do you ever sleep?!?!?!?!?!

10/24/2016 6:23:23 PM #4

I like 1 second per 100m/s. It makes it easier since I'm bad at math lol. I think it's awesome that the developers are thinking of the little things like this though.

10/24/2016 6:36:56 PM #5

Working round the clock Caspian? Gotta get that layaway up XD

KS Backer #44

10/24/2016 10:29:57 PM #6

Posted By Pteroguin at 11:29 AM - Mon Oct 24 2016

The real question is can lightening strikes cause fires? :) Also good grief man, do you ever sleep?!?!?!?!?!

Why would you even ask that, bro :P

10/24/2016 10:53:04 PM #7

why does it have to be as easy as possible to determine how far away a lighting is? i dont see the point. i thought, if i am so near to lightning, that i can hear thunder, then its dangerous, i dont see the need to use lighting for checking distances.

how fast do the clouds move in CoE? Do they have only a third of the rl-speed, too?

i mean, in the end, CoE is a fantasy world somewhere in some universe and nature constants can be chosen just like the devs want. but i really see no reason to adjust numbers based on "this is the most easy number". if we do that, all numbers will be 1. height of usual people: 1. distance between most cities: 1. needed number of fur to create a jacket: 1. needed number of stones to build a house: 1. easy should not determine numbers.

rumor says, if you get struck by lightning, there is a 80% to die, a 15% chance to lose conciousness, a 4% chance to unlearn skills and a 1% chance to get/trigger a talent. creates rumors

Friend Code: 30EF47

10/24/2016 10:59:22 PM #8

Posted By Gromschlog at 4:53 PM - Mon Oct 24 2016

why does it have to be as easy as possible to determine how far away a lighting is? i dont see the point. i thought, if i am so near to lightning, that i can hear thunder, then its dangerous, i dont see the need to use lighting for checking distances. how fast do the clouds move in CoE? Do they have three times the rl-speed, too?

I think it's a good way to gauge whether that lightning is coming your way. Say you set up camp for the night, the storm rolls in and you see a lightning flash, 3 seconds later you hear the thunder, nothing to worry about, another lightning flash, 2.5 seconds to thunder. Uh oh, that storm is going to be right on top if you in a minute, better prepare to get movng

TSSoE Homepage

10/24/2016 11:08:46 PM #9

Posted By jeebs67 at 12:59 AM - Tue Oct 25 2016

Posted By Gromschlog at 4:53 PM - Mon Oct 24 2016

why does it have to be as easy as possible to determine how far away a lighting is? i dont see the point. i thought, if i am so near to lightning, that i can hear thunder, then its dangerous, i dont see the need to use lighting for checking distances. how fast do the clouds move in CoE? Do they have three times the rl-speed, too?

I think it's a good way to gauge whether that lightning is coming your way. Say you set up camp for the night, the storm rolls in and you see a lightning flash, 3 seconds later you hear the thunder, nothing to worry about, another lightning flash, 2.5 seconds to thunder. Uh oh, that storm is going to be right on top if you in a minute, better prepare to get movng

irl, if you are 300m away from a lightning strike, chance is good that the next one will hit you. a storm is quite big and lightning can travel quite long distances and not just goes exactly the shortest way directly down to earth (although it should). if you are that close, there is no point in running away, you alredy ARE in the middle of the storm. only thing you can do, if you are on open field might be huddling to be smaller.

i dont think you plan on counting 10-20 seconds each time after seeing a lightning anywhere. this would be the distance where its realistic to react with such a lowspeed sound in CoE.

If it has to be simple, i prefer a soundspeed of 1km/s. one second -> lightning is dangerously near, two seconds time to worry if on open field, more than three seconds relatively safe... i dont want to count half a minute waiting for sound telling me if i am in danger.

10/24/2016 11:16:16 PM #10

Sorry for not having knowledge of weather patterns or size of storms/frequency of lightning. I was only using that as an example of how knowing how close lightning is can be beneficial. It's cool that you took my measurements so literally but it's pretty obvious they weren't meant to be used in such a way

TSSoE Homepage

10/25/2016 10:54:13 AM #11

another thing to wonder about: if sound is so slow... it might be possible for the fastest birds to be faster than sound. so maybe, it might be possible to create a Peregrine falcon like creature that stuns its victims with sonic booms. obviously, the creature itself has bad/no ears, otherwise, it would die of noise sooner or later :P

and in the end... 100m/s is not really that fast... we might achieve vehicles that might be able to reach that speed perhaps in the end of the game. that will get really loud. and people cant hear you before you hit them.

i still say. if it has to be simple, make sound faster like 1km/s, not slower like 100m/s

10/25/2016 11:03:10 AM #12

Posted By Gromschlog at 12:08 AM - Tue Oct 25 2016

i dont think you plan on counting 10-20 seconds each time after seeing a lightning anywhere. this would be the distance where its realistic to react with such a lowspeed sound in CoE.

I do this in the real world when I see lightening so I do not see why I wouldn't in Elyria too!

All in all I can not see any benefits presented for changing the time from 100m/s to something different. Making it a lot faster gives you less chance to react and therefore it removes from being an interesting mechanic you can actually work with to something that might as well just be RNG and have no delay at all.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/25/2016 12:39:08 PM #13

the current speed of 100m/s is = 360km/hr and it is the speed of normal airplane or normal bullet train in real life, I guess.

by the way, the speed of sound could be use for something else in game such as if you hear some sound and you see something moving in a distance you will be able to guess the distance.

Maybe a faster sound speed will help us have earlier prepare? how about 200m/s?

Plan to be just an explorer and trader, will most likely be Jenoan in fourth kingdom of OCE server

10/25/2016 5:08:52 PM #14

I wonder how much people will actually be wondering how far away lightning strikes are given the fact that they will be able to tell visually how far away they are and that rough estimates could be made even without a simple sound speed... I suppose this is something that the developers can tweak in Alpha/Beta once people get a chance to experience it.

Happy, as always.

10/25/2016 5:46:36 PM #15

Posted By Solarity at 2:39 PM - Tue Oct 25 2016

the current speed of 100m/s is = 360km/hr and it is the speed of normal airplane or normal bullet train in real life, I guess.

by the way, the speed of sound could be use for something else in game such as if you hear some sound and you see something moving in a distance you will be able to guess the distance.

Maybe a faster sound speed will help us have earlier prepare? how about 200m/s?

bullet trains maybe, but airplanes are much faster. record is 12,100 km/h according to wikipedia overview site for airplanes, usually airplanes start and land with 100-250km/h and fly with 700-900km/h.Posted By VictoriaRachel at 1:03 PM - Tue Oct 25 2016

Posted By Gromschlog at 12:08 AM - Tue Oct 25 2016

I do this in the real world when I see lightening so I do not see why I wouldn't in Elyria too!

All in all I can not see any benefits presented for changing the time from 100m/s to something different. Making it a lot faster gives you less chance to react and therefore it removes from being an interesting mechanic you can actually work with to something that might as well just be RNG and have no delay at all.

why can you not react if you get the information by sound faster? this does not make sense to me. the slower the sound is, the less you can react. its slower, not faster than irl. if you cound 10-20s irl, you will have to count 30-60s in CoE... thats a very long time, just to determine that a lightning is 3-6km away (if the sound is able to travel so far with such a low speed).

Posted By HappyMan at 7:08 PM - Tue Oct 25 2016

I wonder how much people will actually be wondering how far away lightning strikes are given the fact that they will be able to tell visually how far away they are and that rough estimates could be made even without a simple sound speed... I suppose this is something that the developers can tweak in Alpha/Beta once people get a chance to experience it.

yea, this issue is about the lowest priority^^ still i think its a bit weird to make sound so slow that birds can produce sonic booms.