COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Community ambassador

Whilst I love the idea of this and think it's a good idea I have a concern.

Allowing people more that one vote and allowing people the chance to vote no has sort of made this a popularity contest.

Now I'm using this as an example because he has the biggest community and in no way think this has actually happened.

If Adam gets all his community to vote for him and against everyone else he could potentially win a spot based on the pure size if his community not on his contribution.

This would count for anyone else with a large community behind them

8/17/2017 11:50:16 PM #16

Posted By Caspian at 5:01 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

The Ambassador Program isn't a popularity contest because it isn't a contest at all.

A contest implies the nominees are competing for a limited number of ambassador spots. However if you read over the Ambassador Program write-up linked from all the polls you'll see that the Ambassador Program is designed to "recognize and elevate the members of the community who go above and beyond."

This means all members of the community who go above and beyond. We do not compare the nominees against one another.

We have a set of internal guidelines and metrics we look for to determine whether or not any particular nominee meets our criteria. In theory, all or none of the nominees could be made Ambassadors based on how they individually meet our criteria; and obviously, the more people who meet our criteria, the healthier and better the community will be.

Because they're all individually evaluated, there's no benefit or purpose to down-voting others in an effort to improve the odds of the person you want to be an Ambassador.

So it's pretty simple. If, in your experience, someone has demonstrated what we're looking for in an ambassador, vote yes for them. If you've had a negative experience with someone and don't feel they'd make a good ambassador, vote no. And if you feel you haven't had enough experiences with someone to make an enlightened vote, then simply don't vote.

Sincerely,
Caspian

This is why I haven't voted either positively or negatively on everyone. Some people I just do not know

8/19/2017 4:40:18 PM #17

Posted By CptBloodBeard at 4:28 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Lol serp is deleting all my comments. Even ones did that pertain to the OP

I'd like to lodge a formal complaint

Complaint noted.

And I only remove your posts when they are not constructive, which unfortunately is often recently :(

And please don't derail this thread from its original topic, thank you.

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

8/20/2017 9:06:32 PM #18

Posted By Caspian at 12:01 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

The Ambassador Program isn't a popularity contest because it isn't a contest at all.

A contest implies the nominees are competing for a limited number of ambassador spots. However if you read over the [Ambassador Program] write-up linked from all the polls you'll see that the Ambassador Program is designed to "recognize and elevate the members of the community who go above and beyond."

This means all members of the community who go above and beyond. We do not compare the nominees against one another.

We have a set of internal guidelines and metrics we look for to determine whether or not any particular nominee meets our criteria. In theory, all or none of the nominees could be made Ambassadors based on how they individually meet our criteria; and obviously, the more people who meet our criteria, the healthier and better the community will be.

Because they're all individually evaluated, there's no benefit or purpose to down-voting others in an effort to improve the odds of the person you want to be an Ambassador.

So it's pretty simple. If, in your experience, someone has demonstrated what we're looking for in an ambassador, vote yes for them. If you've had a negative experience with someone and don't feel they'd make a good ambassador, vote no. And if you feel you haven't had enough experiences with someone to make an enlightened vote, then simply don't vote.

Sincerely,
Caspian

I don't think you fully grasp what the OP is saying. Either votes count or they do not. If you allow voting then it is in fact a popularity contest. This is enhanced by the ability to vote no. Doing so does not enhance your candidate's chances but it does decrease the other persons. In the case of the Dance of Dynasties, which are being played even now, there is value in decreasing the standing of representatives of kingdoms you may be in conflict with. This is part of the meta-game.

I ask you to reconsider the mechanics and eliminate the no votes, Just make it a threshold of X votes to pass.

8/21/2017 12:59:17 PM #19

Any time you give people the opportunity to do something negative to another person...they will.

"No" votes, or "down votes" simply encourage trolling - it is RARELY used in the manner intended.

Imgur