COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
killing ecosystem

I have a question here if you look at what happened to Ultima... ( you can find that here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE ) You can see there might be a problem with things going extinct. What is going to stop people from just wiping out all plants and animals and just killing the game.

Count Weylyn of Vit Kanin. Friend code B7D0EF

2/5/2020 5:21:38 PM #46

Posted By Gromschlog at 5:14 PM - Tue Feb 04 2020

of course trees regrow. how else would forests exist at the start of the game? people will have used wood before.

How else?.. .by reforestation. NPC are able to plant trees and perhaps more law obidient than gamers. . Planted or seeded... a tree will grow a lifetime of a Mann.

I hope that ordinary gamers soon will realize that a consumeable world is not for consume but for care and for an environment sensible economy.

House Pyrros

2/15/2020 8:47:19 AM #47

Posted By Scipion at 11:21 AM - Wed Feb 05 2020

of course trees regrow. how else would forests exist at the start of the game? people will have used wood before.

How else?.. .by reforestation. NPC are able to plant trees and perhaps more law obidient than gamers. . Planted or seeded... a tree will grow a lifetime of a Mann.

I hope that ordinary gamers soon will realize that a consumeable world is not for consume but for care and for an environment sensible economy.

I wish real world people felt the same way about earth lol . However it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Count Weylyn of Vit Kanin. Friend code B7D0EF

2/20/2020 5:04:20 PM #48

Posted By Scipion at 6:21 PM - Wed Feb 05 2020

sure, reforestation speeds up the process. But if plants cant spread without human interaction, they cant exist in nature. You can totally just consume whats around you. As long as the amount fits with the surrounding regrowth rates. And if those are 0, the world doesnt make sense.

For thousands of years, reforestation was completely irrelevant, because there were not that many people and they didnt need that many plants. Speeding up natures "regrowth" is only required, if you take more than nature can refill. For a game world to make sense, nature needs to have a certain regrowth-speed without player-interaction.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying, any tree should regrow in a week or we should all cut down 10 trees per day and player and blame the game for becoming a desert. All I say is: natural regrow needs to exist in CoE.

And just because earth has rules for growth-speed, that does not mean, that CoE needs to have the same speed. For it to make sense, it needs to have a certain value, which I guess will be determined either in alpha/beta or via calculations in a world without players... doesnt matter. In the end, it just needs to exist. The result may be, that trees livespan relative to manns livespan is 0.1, 1, 10 or 100 (same for spreading and growth) and it may mean, that if we dont cut trees down, we'll have close forests everywhere after a year. or it may mean, that we'll have deserts everywhere in a year. Both would be unwelcome to most, I guess, and therefore, a proper value should be found. We could get trees that fully grow in a month and die after two months if uncut... or we get trees that only yield any wood at all if they grow at least for two months. We may find, that trees grow linearly with time or they might not (obviously depends on if you measure growth in mass or heigth). In any way, the regrowth-rate mustn't be 0.

Just like anything in this topic: If we have an issue at all, by large parts depends on how SbS designs the game. If trees grow and spread fast and animals do the same plus are hard to track/find/hunt, then none of these potential issues may become a problem. It's certainly good to think about any of this, but I hope and guess, that SbS are aware of the issues and have plans to give us a viable world.

Time for panicking is not now. Its when you play alpha/beta in a state, where SbS stated, that growth rates are done and you find, that you can easily destroy the whole nature with a small group of players. Until then, have a little faith.

Friend Code: 30EF47

3/5/2020 6:08:31 PM #49

1: Animals in Elyria can supposedly detect you before you detect them, probably depending on how well you are at sneaking about, and they will either run or hunt you down.

2: Animals are apparently pretty vicious in CoE so if you wanna hunt animals you probably need to be properly prepared and might end up having to burn through medical supplies or other supplies to go out on hunts meaning hunting can be costly and time consuming if not done properly. Could take months of "leveling" so to speak to get to a point where hunting is safe so if people going into the game just to cause bother they'll likely just get slaughtered themselves very offten and give in.

3: I know plenty of people who plan on implementing re-forestation plans to combat any deforestation and hiring NPC's to do it could be a thing so aristocrats and nobles can hopefully counter any loss of tree life without the need to involve human players.

4: Chopping down trees is likely labourous, the more you chop the more fatigued and tired you get meaning it gets harder and harder the more you do it so an individual hoping to cause mass widespread de-forestation is probably time consuming intensive gameplay. A true woodcutting industry likely needs multiple people to chop trees, transport the wood etc because on your own it's too hard to even just keep chopping all the time. I mean have you tried chopping a proper sized tree in the real world, it's knackering especially with medieval tools.