COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[Sticky] SHINY DAY (2/7/2020) - Shine like footsteps on the water!

Hi Everyone!

The studio is finishing up an internal milestone for Chronicles of Elyria this week, and as a result, Snipe, Vye, and the rest of the leadership team was in an extended review meeting yesterday evening. The meeting was looking over the quality and scope of deliverables for our internal milestone with a fine-toothed comb and, as such, none of them were available to write up a shiny.

But, I wanted to take a quick moment to show you something that came across the art desk this week. Back during our Kickstarterversary last year we introduced a basilisk mount for the wetlands, swamp, and tropical rain forest. These basilisks make exceptional mounts in these biomes due to their ability to "walk on water" over short distances.

You can once again see the concept art below:

During the development process, concept art is created as a collaboration between the art team and the design team. The artist and designers will look at still imagery, mood boards, and other reference material in order to create a dialog about the topic, and then the artist will, if necessary, set to work on creating a piece of art which not only conveys the designers intent, but also incorporates our particular aesthetic into the work as well as shows the subject in its natural environment.

But this is just the first step. Often the concept art will spark discussion between the artist and designer about the look and feel of the creature. Small details which might have been overlooked in the original discussion may now jump to the forefront and iterations may be required. Additionally, a single piece of concept art is often insufficient for a character artist to go off and model the creature or character. This is because the way in which a model is made is heavily dependent on how it'll move and be skinned to a rig, how it will interact with the world, and how the world will interact with it.

Often times the artists will go and make additional contextual diagrams which serve to communicate key information about an animal, such as where the saddle would sit, and how it's expected to locomote. These additional diagrams serve, not as a discussion between the concept artists and designers but, as a discussion between the concept artist, character artists, and animators. Here's one such additional concept art that was created for the basilisk mount.

Until next time folks, stay shiny!

2/7/2020 11:22:48 PM #16

Posted By Drudge at 3:44 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

I thought Snipe was in charge of Shinies. Did that change?

"and as a result, Snipe, Vye, and the rest of the leadership team was in an extended review meeting"

Was right there near the beginning of the post.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

2/8/2020 12:08:20 AM #17

Posted By Tulloch at 2/7/2020 10:14:50 PM

No offense, but did you guys not learn anything from the backlash over shinies just over a week ago?

But I said with all due respect.

2/8/2020 12:22:06 AM #18

Very nice! I love seeing the behind the scenes work that goes into building a game—especially the artwork; it’s what brings the world to life!

Hopefully one day backers can get a sketchbook showing how concepts evolved over time into the final product. Recently attended a museum exhibit dedicated to the history of gaming...entire sections revolved around the hard work that went into the art and how pivotal that was to a successful game!

Not the most content heavy shiny that people are hungry for, but I agree with Dleatherus that it’s appropriate for what it is and is still pretty cool in my opinion.

Good shiny!

2/8/2020 12:31:04 AM #19

Posted By BioRules at 6:22 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

"and as a result, Snipe, Vye, and the rest of the leadership team was in an extended review meeting"

But Snipe hasn't done one of these in a month. Just making sure he hasn't been banned from them because of the reactions to the TreeHouse one.

2/8/2020 12:55:00 AM #20

It's a very nice looking creature. I shall have to track one down and crossbread it.

A Man will tell a day's tale when full of Food and Mead!!!

2/8/2020 1:49:06 AM #21

Posted By Drudge at 7:31 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

But Snipe hasn't done one of these in a month. Just making sure he hasn't been banned from them because of the reactions to the TreeHouse one.

I think Serp has just been heads down busy on some significant work so others like Vye and Caspian covered for him knowing most backers well appreciate seeing them.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/8/2020 1:51:15 AM #22

Posted By Kyleran at 8:49 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

Posted By Drudge at 7:31 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

I think Serp has just been heads down busy on some significant work so others like Vye and Caspian covered for him knowing most backers well appreciate seeing them.

Talking about Snipe. I think his last post was the TreeHouse one. I hope he hasn't been banned (or self-banned) from posting because of it.

2/8/2020 2:26:29 AM #23

No one has been banned LOL.

Everyone is just super busy working on future stuff so you can have more in your hands that you've been asking for.

No need to jump to any conclusions, Snipe, Vye, myself, AshKain, and Caspian are all capable of posting shinies.

Stay awesome everyone, and happy weekend <3

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

2/8/2020 2:42:21 AM #24

Posted By Dleatherus at 09:29 AM - Sat Feb 08 2020

i also think the overwhelming majority of the community would agree that seeing the basilisk in the actual game for themselves would be better than seeing it in a video clip of game footage

Well of course, but seeing as we are god knows how far away from testing the game thus seeing anything in game. Seeing a video of these animals in Pre-Elyria is the next best thing.

Just something small like what Sanguinesh shared of a real one, would be nothing short of awesome.

2/8/2020 3:34:13 AM #25

ARK is here.

2/8/2020 4:32:58 AM #26

I wonder what it tastes like nomnom.

Just a lonely peasant on the road looking towards a distance future with the sweat on my back and a tear of cloth in my hand a family crest it must be. A adventure will i have, I dream of dreams my destiny awakens me.

Friend Code: A48E0C

2/8/2020 5:36:15 AM #27

More early concept art for stuff we have already seen....yay?

2/8/2020 6:03:34 AM #28

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/33537/the-kickstarterversary-moves-into-week-2

We've already seen this shiny. It's been on the wiki as well.

2/8/2020 6:09:56 AM #29

We haven't seen the addition which is what that picture you linked is directed to.

That picture you linked was used as the example of the concept art that they were taking and turning into something moving for the game. The shiny isn't about the image we have seen before, it's about the image that was provided afterwards, that it's going beyond that point to have its movement mapped out for in-game.

2/8/2020 3:38:13 PM #30

Nothing runs across land or swims faster through water than a giant eel hound

alt text