COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Couple of questions/suggestions for CoE team regarding SoE

Greetings, and I just jump right into it...

Could any of the following be implemented before SoE is launched, or will it take another year to implement these:

Q: Between the four servers and all the kingdoms there are many hamlet/villages that are right at border line with another county, so question is, could it be possible when purchasing a settlement to move the county border line or location of your hamlet/village let say up to three parcels away from the county border for a fee? e.g. move county border line one parcel away from your village for $20.00, move border line away 2 parcels for $35.00 and three parcels away for $50.00?

Q: There are many hamlet/villages that are completely away from any fresh water. But, Let say someone was interested to have their settlement near a fresh water. Could there be a way to add a small, medium, or large size lake near your settlement for a fee? Let say $20.00 dollars to add small size, $35.00 for medium size and $50.00 for a large size lake.

Q: In the same county some hamlets/villages come with three tribes and some come with two tribes. Considering once in game there is going to be tons of time and effort consuming matters to tackle; in my opinion those settlements in a given county coming with three tribes would be at an advantage, especially if one has an immediate use for a tribe that does not come with their settlement. So, could it be possible for those who have only two tribes to add a third tribe (if they wish to do so), to their settlement for a $ fee?

Q: looking at biomes and features coming with some hamlets/villages and then looking at professions that come with those settlements. One might have more immediate use for a profession(s) that does not originally come with the settlement that they plan to purchase. So, could it be possible to add up to three additional professions to the list of existing professions for an additional $fee? Of course, at the time of purchasing your settlement?

Q: Once the up coming SoE is launched and successfully concluded. Why not have another Settlers event for Non-aristocrats to attract new blood? In that scenario, of course the ones who already own settlements can’t participate. The new SoE would be in the form of purchasing e.g. a 2-4 raw parcels, no hamlets, no taverns, no titles, no professions, nothing.. just few parcels in few predetermined locations in a given county.

This might attract people who want to start from zero with just raw land, to either build on it or sell it in game later if they change their mind by the time game goes live and want to join a city, or whatever...

Something for those who don’t want to wait for game to go live to purchase through County tables... something to give them sense of belonging/commitment. Of course, they would still go through political process to introduce themselves to kingdom, duchy, county officials, etc.. before or after purchase, or risk losing their parcels once game goes live.

Not to mention all this is an additional source of income for CoE if any of this was possible to implement.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this wish list question like suggestions. No need to answer 'cause once SoE goes live we shall see what possibilities comes with it or not... Be well and safe.

"I'd rather die standing than live on my knees."

2/8/2020 9:18:21 AM #1

Thank you for your excellent and thoughtful suggestions, we appreciate all feedback and ideas!

Will make sure the team sees it, whether accepted or not, we are thankful you took the time!!

Cheers :wave:

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

2/8/2020 11:18:44 AM #2

A note on this one specifically..

Q: Between the four servers and all the kingdoms there are many hamlet/villages that are right at border line with another county, so question is, could it be possible when purchasing a settlement to move the county border line or location of your hamlet/village let say up to three parcels away from the county border for a fee? e.g. move county border line one parcel away from your village for $20.00, move border line away 2 parcels for $35.00 and three parcels away for $50.00?

You have to realise if you want to start pushing around county borders as a mayor, however small amounts you think they are, you are impacting at the very least two different counts areas of control. Now if that border is the edge of a Duchy, you are impacting two Dukes areas of control as well.

Moving the settlement a bit might be more feasible without screwing with counts domain borders, but with the current granularity of our maps, the Icon for a hamlet being on a border may not mean it is even within 3 parcels of the border as it is.

2/8/2020 11:40:50 AM #3

I don't think a mayor should be able to determine borders. If you don't like the location of said settlement, you pick another, you don't redraw the borders. Leave border issues to the counts and dukes.

You make your selection based on what is available in the settlement, location, and tribe. The studio should not offer options to re-do what they have done. You can do that during Expo.

2/8/2020 12:40:31 PM #4

Greetings dear Ineluki and Lady Stelaphina,

Thank you for your responses. And I do understand the map not being exact and so on.. However, when you are that close to a border that is hard to visually recognize in game except through maps, every inch counts in order to avoid political mishaps and avoid stepping on other people's toes or domains... I am talking about the settlers event and a one time 1 to 3 parcel(s) at the time of purchasing your settlement.

I am not talking 300 parcels and am not talking about messing with duke or count powers (or parcel control) once in game.

Also, please consider when a city on the other side of your county is that close to your border.. and if the person running it has ill intentions? Then this arrangement might actually save lots of headaches for dukes and counts in the long run by giving up only a one time 3 parcels.

Besides, considering the hundreds of parcels under the control of a duke or count if they cannot live without 3 parcels out of the hundreds of parcels that they have under their control? Frankly, they got no business running a duchy or county. They would be better off giving up their duchy or county and go sell candles or play guitar, etc, they might have better luck...

(No disrespect to dukes or counts who can live without 3 parcels out of the several hundred that they control).

Besides even IF 1 to 3 parcel scenario was possible to implement at SoE, then perhaps same code and database and so on could also add 1 to 3 parcels to the county that loses 1 to 3 parcels... except else where down the line away from city on either side? I mean there is no playable game yet so is not like anyone is messing with something that has already been put to use..

Nevertheless, is just a suggestion, if 3 parcels is a make or break deal for dukes or counts, then we can ignore this suggestion all together. I will have no problem with that at all.) Am just playing with ideas.. nothing more or less... Cheers.

2/8/2020 2:14:33 PM #5

Moving the border 3 parcels is going to end in a net result of well over 3 parcels being removed from their county so lets lay that fallacious argument to rest. For arguments sake we are going to give your hamlet close to the minimum parcels and say only two parcels are laying on the border. In order to give you a 3 parcel buffer, you will need to take away an 18 parcel block minimum....

Here is a representation of parcels to get your 3 parcel gap on all edges with just two parcels on the border.

Your two parcels are the black, the black thick line is the border, and the red parcels are how many you need to take to give you your 3 parcel space. That is a medium sized village worth of land you are taking.

I don't want to Quash your idea out of hand, but it at least needs to be looked at factually.

2/8/2020 2:15:34 PM #6

Dear Serpentius,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am very glad to hear from you and pleased that you are doing well. Wish you and CoE team all the best and above all good health.

2/8/2020 2:18:54 PM #7

From a strategy viewpoint. I wouldn't want anyone to back off from that border. If I see the opposite mayor/count making that move, they would come across as weak to me. Moving back before the game has already started. While it won't be much of anything, parcel wise, perception is a powerful thing.

The whole point of going onto the border, is you want that kind of gameplay. There are hundreds or thousands of other settlements if people don't want to be near the border at all.

Q: There are many hamlet/villages that are completely away from any fresh water. But, Let say someone was interested to have their settlement near a fresh water. Could there be a way to add a small, medium, or large size lake near your settlement for a fee? Let say $20.00 dollars to add small size, $35.00 for medium size and $50.00 for a large size lake.

Not sure how easy it would be for SBS to just add random stuff to the maps. Since the maps are basically a living breathing world. Adding random lakes all over the place, could be very much game breaking. Your biome has lack of water? No worries, you can buy as many lakes as you can afford.

2/8/2020 2:23:51 PM #8

Posted By Gunnlang at 01:18 AM - Sun Feb 09 2020

Not sure how easy it would be for SBS to just add random stuff to the maps. Since the maps are basically a living breathing world. Adding random lakes all over the place, could be very much game breaking. Your biome has lack of water? No worries, you can buy as many lakes as you can afford.

Ya, the water was created by a complex simulation, the water is where it is and also isn't for a reason.

2/8/2020 2:25:30 PM #9

Thank you Ineluki,

Very cool graphics and makes it easy to distinguish... Honestly, I doubt if CoE would even have the time to consider any of these suggestions at this point... However, I learned long ago that it is better to speak up than not... Maybe, a crazy idea might give them another idea to toy with... who knows..

But as a supporter of CoE team, I rather throw ideas, concerns, suggestions and what not their way... If they can use any cool; and if not still cool... either way I do my share to support them the best way I know how by participating in a positive way .. that's how I see it..

In any case I thank you for trying to help me see things better... God knows the more I learn the better when it comes to this game.. so ty for your time.. cheers.

2/8/2020 2:44:27 PM #10

Posted By Gunnlang at 10:18 PM - Sat Feb 08 2020

From a strategy viewpoint. I wouldn't want anyone to back off from that border. If I see the opposite mayor/count making that move, they would come across as weak to me. Moving back before the game has already started. While it won't be much of anything, parcel wise, perception is a powerful thing.

Greetings, hum putting about three parcels distance between your town and a county border is hardly backing off from a fight. You are still the closest to that county border than any other city.

The idea is about avoiding looking on the map eveytime you want to get something done on the side of town near the border.

Mind you some towns are on an island or they seem to be and border seems to be in the water just touching the town... imagine everytime you are navigating you got to wonder am I fishing from their water or my side of border ... and the politics and taxes and what not that goes with it... I mean I can go on about why I had that suggestion but backing away from a fight was not one of the reasons... now if I had said can i move a town 10, 20, 50 parcels away oh well yeah that's a backing off for sure lol

Nevertheless, thanks for your input.

2/8/2020 2:50:11 PM #11

My point was a MAYOR should not have the power to move a county or duchy border. That decision is made between the affected counts and dukes, not mayors. I am not saying I could not live with losing said parcels, but why should a mayor decide that?

2/8/2020 3:12:00 PM #12

Posted By Stelaphina at 10:50 PM - Sat Feb 08 2020

My point was a MAYOR should not have the power to move a county or duchy border. That decision is made between the affected counts and dukes, not mayors. I am not saying I could not live with losing said parcels, but why should a mayor decide that?

Thank you dear Duchess,

But again am talking about having a little space rather than falling on another county's lap. Am not concerned about making border line decisions. If making decisions about borders was my concern I would have purchased a county or two or three, heck I would have conquered the whole darn Kingdom and get it over with...

But, I see your concern. And that is why it is good that we are talking about it. I am sure you are not the only one who might think am talking about making decisions about a 100 mile border line... cheers.

2/8/2020 3:41:20 PM #13

Posted By SirVasna at 01:44 AM - Sun Feb 09 2020

The idea is about avoiding looking on the map eveytime you want to get something done on the side of town near the border.

Mind you some towns are on an island or they seem to be and border seems to be in the water just touching the town... imagine everytime you are navigating you got to wonder am I fishing from their water or my side of border ... and the politics and taxes and what not that goes with it.

That's when you just get on well with the neighbour. Some random fishing possibly in my area? Whatever, now if they are setting up a mayor fishing port/shipment. Sure you got a bigger problem. Besides unless people are going to be patrolling that area, who would even know they are fishing/hunting in the wrong county.

Knowing a few RL towns that go over borders. Personally I find them cool, they could both somewhat join together and make a massive trading hub. Making both counties richer for it. If they happen to be two different kingdoms, all the better.

I doubt the average person will care which side of the border they are on and if they really do, well they would stay well away from said border.

2/8/2020 3:43:05 PM #14

Posted By Stelaphina at 01:50 AM - Sun Feb 09 2020

Posted By SirVasna at 02:12 AM - Sun Feb 09 2020

Posted By Stelaphina at 10:50 PM - Sat Feb 08 2020

Thank you dear Duchess,

But again am talking about having a little space rather than falling on another county's lap. Am not concerned about making border line decisions. If making decisions about borders was my concern I would have purchased a county or two or three, heck I would have conquered the whole darn Kingdom and get it over with...

But, I see your concern. And that is why it is good that we are talking about it. I am sure you are not the only one who might think am talking about making decisions about a 100 mile border line... cheers.

Just for reference, Stela has 12 settlements ranging from hamlets to cities sitting directly on her borders in neighbouring Duchies. She is one of the smaller Duchies in Vornair, and some of the counties in her duchy are under 200 parcels. If some random mayor moved a border and took 18+ parcels from a small county, we're talking about a 10% or larger loss of land for the count in question.

It doesn't take a 100 mile border line move for it to be a real impact on her counts, and her duchy.

2/8/2020 4:37:47 PM #15

1st Q : I think it has been adequately addressed how moving any borders at all before game launch and not through in game mechanics is both bad for and blatantly unfair to everyone already placed.

2nd Q: As stated, water is where it is for geological reasons. As there will be no terraforming planned for us, the only way for this to happen should be through geological events that are out of player control completely.

3rd Q: Adding professions via cash is a bit cringy for a lot of people and smacks a bit of P2W scheming. Another solution to this would be purchasing profession kits/storefronts and placing them during exposition(if you build it they will come), and/or migrating the professionals you want into the settlement during KoE.

4th Q: Purchasing land by non-exposition players is detrimental to the world building purpose of exposition, as it will undoubtedly result in the non exposition purchases to be placed in ways that will adversely impact the designs of counts and dukes. Bloodline people will have the ability to purchase plots through the EP store, and iirc, will be able to choose their land during expo without the use of the land management table.

I tried to be thorough in my responses, I hope this helps.