COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
[Sticky] Settlers of Elyria Update 2

Hello my Elyrian friends,

It’s time for an update! Much work has been done on The Settlers of Elyria event and we're pleased to announce that the bugs around sales, prices, resources, and other data-related problems have all been resolved and verified fixed. In addition, we wanted to use this opportunity to not only fix the bugs experienced previously, but really strive for a superior experience.

As such, we've implemented new load balancing, streamlined the UI, improved navigation, and more!

Rather than tell you, let’s just dive right in and show you. This is what we expect the new domains and settlements map experience to be like: Fun fact: we had a lot of continent data we could render. Providing the right information about the areas for domain selection, but not making exploration useless, was a hard balance to hit. In the end, we think this has better visual fidelity, without compromising cartography as a skill and trade.

The UI is getting an update as you can see here:

This updated style meant to communicate the same information to you a bit more clearly and make navigating a sharper experience. We’re also using this as a chance to streamline some of our site’s branding and UX. We plan to make significant improvements to the website and our web features in the near future, and this is step one.

This is when you ask when you can see it, right? Soon. We need to do some more testing, and we need to do a bit more work on the purchase pipeline now that we have resolved the critical issues. Once we have completed our tests, and ensured they are all passing, we can announce a new date for Settlers.

As an aside, this is the first of many updates to our site and related tools you’ll see this year. I know we've been quiet, that’s because we’ve been busy working on the pre-alpha and updating the domains map.

I hope you like the direction here. I’ll be making another update as soon as we have the last bits of work done and we can announce a proper release date.

In the meantime, thanks Elyrians, you rock.

2/14/2020 2:33:57 AM #16

now this is some proper UI! nice work UI/UX team, you have reason to be proud! one comment is, i hope tribal percentages will still show when you mouse over the pie chart, since those are pretty important to a lot of ppl :)

2/14/2020 2:34:57 AM #17

Thanks for the update!

ref This game was a dream. Its dead now.

2/14/2020 2:37:39 AM #18

Looking good. Can't wait to see it live and the updates to the web site. Thank you SBS for all your hard work

2/14/2020 2:38:02 AM #19

Looks like good progress

Countess Aurabella

2/14/2020 2:38:23 AM #20

I am liking the new style on the map itself. Shows more detail but not too much. I want to see what it looks like at settlement view now. Give me more.

Divide et Impera

2/14/2020 2:40:41 AM #21

Looks solid

2/14/2020 2:41:28 AM #22

Yes.

The voice of Orlando's FrontEnd

2/14/2020 2:43:24 AM #23

Hi Ashkain!

If you don't mind me asking -- what kind of algorithm or engine are you using for the automated label placement? Are the labels changing dynamically based on the view extent, which is why the placement seems a bit odd in the screenshot?

EDIT: If I am not overstepping, perhaps this journal on Active Range Optimization (ARO) with regards to dynamic map labeling would be helpful?

Thanks for the update and the screenshots!

2/14/2020 2:44:27 AM #24

Great update, not just the news, but this is how I hope all updates will be in the future. Much more professional. I approve of the new direction.

2/14/2020 2:44:47 AM #25

Advice for improvement:

Since you have gone to a pie chart, it can be difficult to discern which tribe has the most when they are really close in number. I recommend on the listing to the left of them with the color dot, that they be listed from most to least in number instead of alphabetical. Edit: or at least make sure to retain being able to see the % when hovering over the section of the pie chart.

2/14/2020 2:45:15 AM #26

I'm liking the improved visual effect. Looking forward to getting new people moving in when SoE reopens.

2/14/2020 2:50:34 AM #27

Noice.

2/14/2020 2:55:04 AM #28

Never too late

2/14/2020 3:06:44 AM #29

And??...

Contact me via Discord if you would like more information, or to coordinate breeding programs: https://discord.gg/XaVU6z @KrivAldent#7561

Head Beastmonger and Proctor Pferden Atem College of Animal Husbandry The University of Weißerstein at Trausthafen The Kingdom of Vornair, Luna

2/14/2020 3:07:39 AM #30

Caspian said the tribal percentages will show when you click on the tribe in the pie chart, so thats great! really like the new topographical view, makes it easier to get a general feel of hills etc in your domain. very nice! the whole feel of the map is much more professional and gives a better overview.