COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Food and Hunger Calculations of New Time Model Discussion

So I swear I've seen hunger and eating and such to be required to survive in CoE (Ie whats the point of weight gain and such)... Correct me if incorrect. Here is a balance question.

The new time model states that 7 real life days, is equal to 1 year / 12 months CoE Days. Now if you do the math, each real life day is 1.7 months or 52ish days if going off 30 days a month average. Also being said, each real life hour is equal to 2.1 days. Now there is thinking how the normal human has to eat. A minimum of a large meal once a day or two smaller depending from person to person.

If realistic, that would mean having to make your character eat 2 or 4 times an hour, or 48 and 96 times over 24 hours. Realistically, it would feel more like we're playing the eating game and not CoE.

Mind you, this would of likely been MUCH worse with 1 year being 4 days, but how do you guys think this will be balanced?

I personally wouldn't mind feeding my character once every couple of hours.

Also another question on the side; Will CoE contain nudity? Haven't heard anything about it (wouldn't surprise me), but then the body weight preview popped up the other day with blurred genitalia. If none by default, then a setting to enable/disable?

8/10/2016 8:18:25 AM #1

Sure.. If you think that they're going to make everything so realistic that its unbearable as a game.

Just wait and see what they do, or when they say something about it, and we can criticize it then. Because this is going off nothing.

~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruins~

8/10/2016 9:54:01 AM #2

This was talked about in IRC or some other information channel at one point. The basic idea (nothing has been fleshed out yet) is that gameplay trumps realism in this case. The survival elements in CoE are there to keep risk vs reward ever present and keep a real sense of danger during longer treks into the desert or frozen north but isn't meant to become an all consuming aspect of play.

For example when you are in town, should they have the appropriate structures your water and food requirements would be assumed to be met. Though once you venture out on your own outside of the towns, then you would likely have a water supply and a food supply that auto depletes over time (X units per hour). This isn't some supply that has no meaning, however, because it does occupy space and has a weight which limits how much you can carry both on your person and on your animal. So a merchant traveling with some guards over several days will have to make sure to pack as much merch as they can while still leaving room for those supplies, accounting for places where they may be able to replenish water (streams, creeks, rivers) and food they may be able to hunt on the way.

So it will be a minimally invasive representation of the reality but still add to the sense of danger and importance of proper planning, and let people enjoy the risk vs reward of how far they can push their provisioning limit to maximize cargo / profits / etc.

8/10/2016 10:48:12 AM #3

You have not taken into consideration the length of an Elyrian day in your calculations, which is on average 2.5 hours including night [Source - Update: Plenty of Eye Candy].

This does not fit exactly into how many days there are in a year etc. but does mean that eating and drinking in a realistic way is far less invasive. As you are only eating once or twice ever 2.5 hours.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/10/2016 12:12:04 PM #4

As VictoriaRachel just said, an Elyrian day is 2.5 real world (rw) hours. An Elyrian year is 7 rw days so 67.2 Elyrian days.

The survival attributes are:

• Fatigue

• Hunger

• Thirst

• Temperature

those attribute value are going to drop as time pass and as your character do things. When one of those reach some low level your character will start to feel some effects (probably some debuff) that depending on the situation may end up harming or even killing the character.

To prevent such un unwelcomed ending you'll need to replenish that attribute. To do so, you'll need to do things like eating, drinking or resting, using items, building or something....

In some situations those attribute will be passively frozen and wont deteriorate. for exemple if you stay within the area effect of a tavern in a village where you're not rejected, your hunger should be frozen and wont lose points (or rise depending how they want to turn it). So as long as you stay in that village you wont need to eat!!!

for thirst replace the tavern by a well or a body of water.

temperature is controled into apropriately built buildings and to some degrees by apropriate clothing.

The one thing you wont ever be able to dodge is Fatigue, your character will need to rest.

But from what i have read so far rest does not automaticaly imply sleeping. sleeping would be the fastest way to recover fatigue but some slower ways would exist like a camp where you play music instruments or tell tales.

So once all that has been said, hunger and thirst are things if you get out of settlements.

from there it's only guessing but those attributes should drop depending on biome, activity and time; and should recover with consumption of food or drink, type or/and quality of food resulting in a larger recovery or some decrease protection.

For me, the better quality/tier of food you use, the less you'll need to eat/drink. Will you be "forced" what ever you do to eat or drink at least once a day ?

i do not know

will it be possible to eat/drink at the same time you rest ?

i do not know

will eat or drink prevent your character to do other things while eating/drinking ?

i do not know but i hope, lets be honest we can not at the same time ask for a skilled/action combat system and be able to eat or drink at the same time, or drink potion for the matter.

For me eating/drinking should be actions and have visual effects and motion capture and the duration of it should depend on what you eat/drink. Eating a sandwish is not the same thing as eating a dish where you need a plate and some tools.

will that action be long ?

i do not know, eating in real world can take from 15 min to 2 hours (some time a lot more) depending on where, what and the culture/tradition. since a elyrian day is 2.5 rw hours, an Elyrian hour (assuming an elyrian day is 24 hours) is 6.25 rw min, 15 elyrian min would be 1.56 rw min we could say that consuming fast eating food take 1 rw min, slow eating food could take 5 to 10 rw min. Yeah , i know, it's a very long time during which your character is only eating.... but hey, that is the same thing in real world!!!

8/10/2016 2:50:06 PM #5

If you venture out and end up being away from civilization for a few hours real time your character might need a hefty load of food and water which will appear to rapidly disappear if consumed on a daily basis.

What is it, like 2000 calories a day plus a liter of water? I can't remember if that is right. But the rapid advance of time hopefully won't look like a time lapse video with a mule standing there with a visibly shrinking pack on its back.

Awaiting the launch of CoE and the end of the era of ThemePark tyranny.

2/17/2019 6:25:36 PM #6

I'm also very keen to hear more on this. My wife plans to run an inn, and I'll be supporting her with the gathering side of things, so she can manufacture food from the meat and herbs I bring home, and her daughter can garden/orch. That's the verb for running an orchard, right?

We're hoping the inn will provide fatigue replenishment, comfort/temperature, a few buffs, as well as the informational resources of the roads we sit on the crossroads of. It's always useful to know if the pass in the west has been snowed in.

But we know that players can design their own recipes and community content, so if she wants to invent a peach cobbler, hopefully the recipe complexity and diversity of ingredients and difficulty of the steps to make it will result in a buff that makes people have a hankerin for more of her peach cobbler, and not just a generic 'satiation bar'!

2/17/2019 8:13:12 PM #7

seriously, though, things like this haven't really been discussed much as they aren't working on that section of the development - many of us have been howling for more mechanic info ...

2/18/2019 1:53:40 AM #8

an understandable concern; however, the game does not contain "humans" so technically, it is plausible that the Elyrian tribes have different physiological and metabolic requirements.

2/18/2019 7:54:11 AM #9

Maybe the missing magic in the game isn't actually missing, but instead ubiquitous in the minimal food requirements of the characters.

2/18/2019 10:56:16 AM #10

Holy thread necromancy batman!

2.5 years is the longest so far, I think the guy needs a prize of some sort (coal?).

As for food and drink - I’d suggest waiting till after they’ve done their survival alphas, cause until then the mechanics are more aetheric than anything.

Coming Soon(tm)

2/18/2019 4:10:53 PM #11

Elysian years aren’t earth years though, and Elyrian aren’t humans. All assumptions you make are therefore meaningless.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

2/18/2019 4:14:01 PM #12

Posted By chipla at 05:56 AM - Mon Feb 18 2019

Holy thread necromancy batman!

2.5 years is the longest so far, I think the guy needs a prize of some sort (coal?).

As for food and drink - I’d suggest waiting till after they’ve done their survival alphas, cause until then the mechanics are more aetheric than anything.

Better to revive a still relevant ancient thread rather than making a duplicate thread imo.

I don’t understand forum culture.
Reply to an old thread that is still relevant and “omg necro” Make a new thread to something that was asked years ago: “omg learn to use the search function, are you new to the internet or what?”

What the fuck are you supposed to do? Not post at all? In my opinion necroing threads is the cleanest solution because it prevents duplicates.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

2/19/2019 1:59:23 AM #13

I too agree with Zimmah. The purpose of the forum is allow people to discuss the same topic over a long period of time.

I am tired of seeing people creating threads on topics like PvP exploits, griefing, P2W, etc regularly. And I have no intention to keep repeating myself whenever a new thread comes up.

On topic though, SBS has no intention to include activities for the sake of realism if it does not serve any gameplay purpose. So rest assure that staying in a well supplied settlement alone will keep your thirst and hunger at a normal level. Just that spending extra time/$ a at tavern for food will give you buff and other things.

Edit: for a more updated time conversion between Elyria and our world, please refer to Labbe's thread

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

2/19/2019 6:37:52 PM #14

Posted By CopaKindred at 10:25 AM - Sun Feb 17 2019

We're hoping the inn will provide fatigue replenishment, comfort/temperature, a few buffs, as well as the informational resources of the roads we sit on the crossroads of. It's always useful to know if the pass in the west has been snowed in.

Inns and taverns are being designed to be nexus points. In addition to providing the food benefit to the area around them in a settlement, they are natural gathering places for the populace, allowing gossip and knowledge to be exchanged easily between PCs and NPCs alike. There are multiples ways we encourage this. One is that cozy comfortable places like taverns, Inns, and similar establishments, are places where characters can recover from their fatigue quickly. Another is that the crafting system places a premium on hand-cooked food with its unique combination of properties over the standard food benefit. Essentially - sure, you won't starve while you're in the proximity of a tavern or inn, but if you want food that inspires, or really energizes, or that offers other effects, you're going to have to consume a hand-cooked meal, and taverns are a place where you're essentially guaranteed to find one, whether you can cook yourself or not. And since you're there for a meal anyway, you may as well relax, recover from your fatigue, lighten your spirits with some entertainment, and hear the latest news and gossip of the settlement.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
2/19/2019 6:54:48 PM #15

Posted By Snipehunter at 10:37 AM - Tue Feb 19 2019

Hope that helps! :)

You just sold me on visiting my local tavern in game. Funny how nice it sounds when you consider everything.

I have to rework my whole "never leaves home dras alchemist" persona now.

:D