COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Slavery?

Hello everyone,

I didn't see the subject so i ask the question:will slavery be possible with all that could involded such as slaves market, slave trader etc ... i see this as an alternative to death with a possibility to get free for players.

Join Now!

12/15/2015 11:56:06 AM #1

While there might be a prisoner or war system, which is akin to slavery in the sense that people are kept against their will, other systems are less likely. There is a good post by Caspian about why it doesn't really add much enjoyment to the game which is found here, which ends:

"All-in-all, I can't think of any player that would truly get joy out of a slavery mechanic.

As I said before, as a PoW mechanic, both the Achiever as well as the Killer might "accept" it, if it's done properly."

Personally I think that it is the sort of system which sounds a lot more fun then it is to play. After all, with a game there is a very easy way to escape slavery, log off and don't come back.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

12/15/2015 8:02:34 PM #2

Indeed. It's very, very unlikely there will be a slavery system.

-Miguel

\[T]/

12/22/2016 12:53:16 AM #3

This post is more then a year old but i just found that game by coincidence.

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 12:56 PM - Tue Dec 15 2015

After all, with a game there is a very easy way to escape slavery, log off and don't come back.

But u dont escape slavery then , when u go offline your Char will be controlled by AI or did i understand that wrong ? Even when u are offline your charakter runs around in the online world and do something, so he can do slave work.

12/22/2016 1:03:12 AM #4

Topic was discussed multiple times. And Caspian made it quite clear - in the Post VR linked - that you can RP a slave, it won't be a gameplay thing, because it ain't fun for most players.

12/22/2016 1:09:15 AM #5

Posted By Zunjin at 5:03 PM - Wed Dec 21 2016

you can RP a slave

rofl

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

12/22/2016 2:49:57 AM #6

Posted By Morkar at 7:53 PM - Wed Dec 21 2016

This post is more then a year old but i just found that game by coincidence.

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 12:56 PM - Tue Dec 15 2015

After all, with a game there is a very easy way to escape slavery, log off and don't come back.

But u dont escape slavery then , when u go offline your Char will be controlled by AI or did i understand that wrong ? Even when u are offline your charakter runs around in the online world and do something, so he can do slave work.

Yes but the player is still gone. If I'm logging off I couldn't care less what my NPC is forced to do. Ima be watching some Netflix XD.

I think the only viable "slavery systems" would be PoW and maybe servants of debt where they agreed via contract to be a servant for X days and during that time they must accept any contract offered to them by the master. Even if it's for 0 pay. After that day, all debt to the master and his associates guilds and organizations are cleared and the slave contract is void.

I don't know anymore.

12/22/2016 6:25:03 AM #7

Posted By Morkar at 12:53 AM - Thu Dec 22 2016

I think you missed the 'don't come back' part. This drives players out of the game. Yes you would leave an OPC behind but does that benefit to the game if the player never returns? Never interacts with the community again? Never completes their spirit walk if they die? Never pays for another spark of life?

Keeping people playing long term is important and taking away the control of their character is not the way to do that.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

12/22/2016 6:35:10 AM #8

well you could implement NPC slaves if NPC commit crimes (if they can commit crimes) and once an NPC is a slave he's locked out so noone can inhabit him

12/22/2016 7:03:28 AM #9

Or someone can just ''research'' the slavery, lol.

1/8/2017 10:11:49 PM #10

Maybe not in the same sense as we understand it, but maybe as a "devoting yourself to someone for a period of time, in exchange for some benefits"... like, for example, instead of you having to tend the crops, you can buy a slave to take care of it, and the if it's done successfully, that player will have a little something (extra) at the beginning of it's next in-game life.

While that won't be "slavery" in the same way we understand it, it would be considered slavery from the point of dedicating one in-game life to someone else. Of course, the benefits should be worth it, and there should be added a mechanic for that (like if you sell your life for some items, a temple will have to keep them safe for you, and when you're reborn you will have to go to that temple to obtain them.

1/11/2017 9:19:13 PM #11

Hullo

6/10/2017 8:00:03 PM #12

To be fair; feudalism was more or less slavery for the lower peasant classes. People who have to tend to their farms so they can keep their home, pay their taxes. eat and survive... I do think it would be interesting if you could capture somebody and then force them to work on your lands, or even have the ability to sell them to someone else. Then it would be the player's responsibility to make sure the slave doesn't try and escape.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22281/the-kreuzstadt-campaign

6/20/2017 8:02:21 AM #13

I think it's really unrealistic to say slavery wont exist in game. Considering players lives are limited, people are not going to want to die. If person A captures 6 people and takes them to his farm which is guarded and tells them to work or his guards'll kill them, people going to work. Keep them fed (A starving slave isn't a useful slave) and watered, keep them in rooms over night that are locked, as locking doors is confirmed. As you can knock people out and remove their weapons, shouldn't be too hard to keep a load of unarmed people hostage if you've a decent guard unit. Obviously, this'll be unpopular behaviour and may result in quite a few enemies. But I can imagine some communities employing the tactic and I do feel it could add to them games story. A slave trading community, where the slaves are constantly looking for chances to escape, trying to get outside help to free them etc.

6/20/2017 1:08:57 PM #14

I was going to channel my inner-Orangeboy and write about enslaving women in order to create a bunch of childrens, but then decided against doing so.

As already has been discussed by the Devs (even in this very thread), there will be no slavery.

You want someone to work on your field for you? Hire them with a contract for service, no need to enslave them.

Also, as a side note, it's been noted that you will not be able to move unconscious bodies either in order to reduce griefing.

• "The only thing certain in Life is Death, do not fear that which is known." - Orashna, Master Warrior and Expert Herbalist
6/20/2017 1:14:21 PM #15

Also, as a side note, it's been noted that you will not be able to move unconscious bodies either in order to reduce griefing.

When did that change? Cause on DJ # 4 they stated that while a person is incapacitated you can tow the body a short distance.

UDL