COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Non-traditional/Group Marriages

I was talking on another website about CoE, and realized that one question I had did not appear to be in the forums.

Are group marriages going to be possible in the game? Of any sort? Polyamory, Polygamy, Polyandry, Serial Monogomy, Swinging, whatever.

Essentially, once married, are you limited to a single spouse?

Thanks

FC# 3258EF

2/21/2019 1:29:32 AM #16

This would be an interesting concept in COE. I would say that seeing it would spark some questions by other characters as to why they decided to be in a poly relationship.

Ashfire Breeding Co. The best mounts and pets from the County of Attoric located in the duchy of Acrium! Director of Animal Husbandry for the duchy of Acrium. Proud member of the Solaris Confederation! -Kai Ashfire

2/21/2019 2:02:37 AM #17

Posted By KaiAshfire at 7:29 PM - Wed Feb 20 2019

This would be an interesting concept in COE. I would say that seeing it would spark some questions by other characters as to why they decided to be in a poly relationship.

As for me, when I was in a poly relationship, it was because I am a very passionate person, and needed more than just one other person to absorb the love and attention I give :-) it can be overwhelming.

2/21/2019 4:02:20 AM #18

No one from SBS has indicated that plural marriages couldn't be a thing. They've been pretty ambiguous about it, in fact. From listening to Q&As and reading discord comments, to me, it seems like they're undecided.

No one here actually knows, and people who are saying it's possible or not possible, with confidence, simply do not know what they're talking about. And should put up or shut up.

From my point of view, plural marriage can be done out right, with contracts and all the familial bonuses. It can be done 'if married don't give bonuses' way. It could be done RPishly without contracts, which makes plural marriages basically ungovernable, but lacking the family bonuses. There are dozens of ways to accomplish this, left right and center, and depending on what you're really after.

I'm going to be one of three wives to one husband, myself. If it's not a mechanic, we'll do it via roleplay and so can anyone else.

2/21/2019 9:29:21 AM #19

There's always the bigamy option. Create a secret identity, a new persona and then go off and get married again using a 1:1 contract. Sounds like a lot of hard work to me though.

I wonder if Monarchs will make certain types of marriage illegal.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

2/21/2019 3:17:21 PM #20

I honestly think it likely that it'd be harder to restrict marriage than it would be to just make it a contract arrangement with the same penalties for breaking terms as any other contract. Marry one person without a clause saying you can marry more? Prepare for divorce. Fail to provide heirs for one or more of your partners in a high-profile polyamorous marriage? Prepare for divorce. Fail to specify monoamory in your marriage contract and discover your partner's cheating? Probably not gonna hold up in court. Also, prepare for divorce.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

2/21/2019 4:57:56 PM #21

Posted By ZeroCool at 03:29 AM - Thu Feb 21 2019

I wonder if Monarchs will make certain types of marriage illegal.

I think we would be more likely to see things like that if CoE were largely a role playing game. But at the monarchy level, it's a high stakes RTS game as well. With conquest as one of the objectives, I'd be surprised if any monarchs intentionally engaged in this kind of social engineering or minutia, unless there was something to be gained by it. But other players can and likely will with religious zeal.

I'd let Barons marry their horses, if it'd make them better at killing.

2/22/2019 3:49:31 AM #22

Posted By Dleatherus at 1/3/2017 8:28:14 PM

i certainly don't think the devs should dedicate development time to implement a game mechanic for it unless it was timewise an easy thing to do

This.

2/22/2019 9:06:44 AM #23

Just going off the lawful\unlawful thing and not that I agree one way or the other but...and this has implications across all laws. Could the contract writer be held accountable for drafting an illegal contract?

I will be playing on Selene (EU) Server
2/22/2019 3:06:10 PM #24

I certainly hope the contract system will allow such variants in our family houses. It's a cornerstone of my lore (the epic tale of Sofia, Titanes and the Seven Sisters). It'd be a shame if we can't practice it if we choose.

2/22/2019 6:31:32 PM #25

As there are a lot of benefits to being in a family/marriage, like family communication being one of the things that stand out in my mind (sending private messages to family members anywhere on the same continent). I could see a multiple marriage mechanic either being limited to a max small number like 2-3 or various restrictions like limits to one spouse or some other contract that cuts the family benefits out as players could abuse the mechanic for their own gain.

Family Benefits:
- Family members on the same continent can send private messages to one another.
- Members can always sense that a family member has been slain and is Spirit Walking.
- Members can find their way to a family member's body.
- Family members help increase each other's life span by creating a reason to live.
- Line of succession as well as items naturally pass on to heirs when someone passes away.
- Family members automatically get keys to shared household resources and can access and process the land without breaking laws.
- Family members can always see through disguises.
- Family impacts fame, which affects how much spirit you lose when Spirit Walking.
- If Family members are grouped up, they will receive temporary attribute boosts and stamina boosts via the bolstering mechanic. (Stamina will be set to the level of the highest family member in the group)