COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Like a boss

If you were the boss of a dungeon what would your strategy against adventurers be? Also what would you be defending?

Ill start for an example. For me i probably take most inspiration from zelda temples. But since i wont be some big creature my 'boss room' would probably be filled with traps that only i am aware of. I would activate hazards and be taking cheap shots at the adventurer with my bow. I would probably cause some kind of status effect with my arrows to further disorient the adventurer. I would think of the dungeon to be like some sort of trial.

Perhaps my reward would be some type of poison that weakens some evil beast enough that it is manageable to defeat by a single person.

If other people cant think of examples i potentially could try make some more

6/10/2017 1:37:36 AM #1

Posted By Reikan at

If you were the boss of a dungeon what would your strategy against adventurers be? Also what would you be defending?

Ill start for an example. For me i probably take most inspiration from zelda temples. But since i wont be some big creature my 'boss room' would probably be filled with traps that only i am aware of. I would activate hazards and be taking cheap shits at the adventurer with my bow. I would probably cause some kind of status effect with my arrows to further disorient the adventurer. I would think of the dungeon to be like some sort of trial.

Perhaps my reward would be some type of poison that weakens some evil beast enough that it is manageable to defeat by a single person.

Posted By Reikan at

taking cheap "shits" on adventurers always sounds like a sound strategy ;)

Ill start for an example. For me i probably take most inspiration from zelda temples. But since i wont be some big creature my 'boss room' would probably be filled with traps that only i am aware of. I would activate hazards and be taking cheap shits at the adventurer with my bow. I would probably cause some kind of status effect with my arrows to further disorient the adventurer. I would think of the dungeon to be like some sort of trial.

6/10/2017 4:39:30 AM #2

Posted By Reikan at

taking cheap "shits" on adventurers always sounds like a sound strategy ;)

LOL joking aside, this is a more relavant question than many would think. Obviously this question comes from the Q&A having to do with settlement development where the devs outlined how they would build a classic MMO dungeon around the concept that "you," as a player, had learned the secret to lichdom. It's totally fair for someone to have seen that and come here to talk about it, so please try to be reasonable with downvotes.

Let's turn their supposition that you are a lichlord on its head: Suppose you are Duke Chickenwing, a particularly warlike person on the outside of another kingdom. You've been causing serious trouble for the neighboring duchy, part of another kingdom. Are you going to OPC sitting in a chair waiting for people to shoot you with an arrow through a window all day? Sounds like you are asking to be killed?

You know you are a target because you are making yourself a target. Ten players with hoods up could roll into town at any point and be ready to die their worst death to show you justice. No. You don't want it to be that easy, so you should consider creating a trial for them to deal with before they can even deal with you. Put everything you can have in the way, right?

Guards, animals, traps... You don't really get to decide what they get out of killing you, that's probably just the collection of items you care about, because gods.... after how hard you made it to get to you personally while you were logged out if they can do it, it's literally your underground hardmode cache of all the awesome stuff... assuming you don't hide stuff off with friends everyday, but can you trust them and will they be there when you want them to give you the sceptre of awesome at exactly the moment you want it instead of having to go get it???

There are relevant situations, even for "above board" characters, that they might want to create a dungeon to get to them and their treasured possessions.

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart

6/10/2017 4:39:31 PM #3

thankyou for your post mythos you have inspired me to fix my spelling lol.

Though Nurgle would approve this message.

I think it wouldnt be that hard to create a trial and have it as a way to deter random killing. Yes a random person could loot your body, but if thats the case don't keep the thing on your person and of course have more strong protection.

I could know where something is and just not tell someone unless they met my conditions. I feel like it would be a nice idea for people to consider the possibility of being a boss like character that isnt a lich. You wouldnt even need to be evil.

And if you were a lich, why would you make a dungeon is there a story reason?

6/10/2017 4:48:45 PM #4

Disguise the entrance of the dungeon as a tax payment office. No one will want to come near my juicy dungeon! >:D

6/25/2017 9:14:51 AM #5

Have a really thick door.

6/25/2017 9:34:44 AM #6

Posted By Barghest at 5:48 PM - Sat Jun 10 2017

Disguise the entrance of the dungeon as a tax payment office. No one will want to come near my juicy dungeon! >:D

Even better, have a labyrinth of traps, guards, animals and confusing passageways that leads into a main chamber that has intricate puzzles for the treasure hunters to find.

The anticipation of the hunters will be amazing to watch they will salivate as they solve the last puzzle to open the chest....

Just to find a handwritten note made by me "I owe you treasure". Then have the ceiling fall down killing them.

6/25/2017 10:37:27 AM #7

Really hard to address this without knowing what tools will be available for creating these dungeons.

I plan on making a dungeon similar to the Yawning Portal inn from the forgotten realms that lead into the first dungeon of Undermountain. The room was dominated by the Entry Well, measuring 40 feet in diameter and descending 140 feet underground, the access to Undermountain. The clientele consisted mostly of adventurers eager to enter the depths of Undermountain.

My settlement focus is adventurers so this will fit nicely into my towns theme.

Now my next question is getting things to populate the depth of my dungeon. Will things move into the caverns, or will I need to capture and place these creatures into the dungeon.

I been thinking about dungeons for awhile now, I did Neverwinter dungeons and enjoyed creating them. Nice if we can purchase some stuff with EP during exposition for the dungeons.

+1 to OP,

6/25/2017 2:05:50 PM #8

Posted By Barghest at 12:48 PM - Sat Jun 10 2017

Unless they are there to rob the tax collector...and find so much more...

I'm not a doctor.

6/27/2017 1:22:11 AM #9

Posted By Barghest at 6:48 PM - Sat Jun 10 2017

I'd be glad to visit my mayors tax office and be rewarded even more for going there personally :3

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

6/27/2017 4:33:29 AM #10

I must not reveal anything about the dungeons I have planned...

6/27/2017 10:02:11 PM #11

I know where the dungeon entrance will be... it's the outhouse.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

12/12/2018 4:55:39 PM #12

assuming I'm a lich. I'd probably build a castle that I'd live in and I'd like to surround it with a city, and under it would be a labyrinth in filled with monsters, guards, (if possible) underground farms so I never need them to leave. Than when a hero with an army provided by the local king decides to attack they'd probably die, but if they even make it to my castle than manage to make it to the end of my labyrinth, there'd be a brick wall with 6 torches on the walls, if you didn't activate the door by pulling the lever that's hidden in the dungeon than the next lever won't work, than the door behind him would close and lock shut leaving him to starve to death. but if he did get to my vault there'd be an empty box on a pedastal that would be assumed to be my phylactery, but my phylactery would be far away from my city by a kingdom that decides to ally itself with me, they would assume my phylactery was in the dungeon they protected but, it'd actually be a trapdoor under the entrance.

(My friend code is 5D39A6)

12/16/2018 11:16:57 PM #13

Creating a decoy treasure room, with medicore stuff to loot, so the adventure goes home disappointed and tells everyone that in my dungeon would be nothing of worth. While the real treasures of wealth are still hidden somewhere.

Ihr müsst eure Gruppe erst sammeln bevor ihr weiterreisen könnt!

2/5/2019 9:57:55 PM #14

I would transform myself into a sweet little pet that no one can kill.

Member of the County of Thraxir/Mitglied der Grafschaft Thraxir

ᛏᚺᚱᚨᛪᛁᚱ

Friendcode: 862C38

9/22/2019 6:41:20 AM #15

A dungeon to hide my powerful artifacts, created through my immense magic power to test adventures seeking my favor? I'm glad you asked, as I've spent a bunch of time plotting it out.

Any good dungeon is far away from civilized lands, lead into from some dingy looking cave that slowly turns more and more refined the closer one gets to the entrance. The door itself is the very first challenge; a stone door that will only open when the word of power is spoken. An explanation and hint will be displayed above the door. If they get it right, the floor beneath will fall out and a stairway downwards will be revealed (for those that didn't get forcefully dropped). This leads into a branching hallway, going in four directions. The adventurers must find the right path, the others ending in traps. After a trek down the hallway, through a few doors, beasts and constructs will be waiting for them. After a few trials by combat. and more traps in the way, they will eventually find a box on a pedestal. Inside will be a signet ring, proof of their success in the trial. As the ring is taken, the rooms will start collapsing behind them. These things make strong adventurers: Wit, strength, and speed.

"Sometimes, you just have to sit and watch the world burn."