COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SELENE ORGANIZATIONS
Magnum Opus, Guild of Alchemists extraordinaire

Magnum Opus is aiming to become a great if not the greatest alchemist guild in all of Elyria! Our goal is to find, identify and research every plant, fungus, animal, any kind of ingredient there is and use them to create potions, poisons, mixtures and tinctures.

We want to become an economical powerhouse through knowledge and expertise. We will uncover the mysteries of alchemy, refine them for mass production and rake in the profits. The inventions and innovations are used to make the guild and it's members wealthy and successful. We will keep our trade secrets well hidden and guarded behind our gates.

The Duchy of Falzame in the kingdom of Al-Khezam will be our home duchy and we will set up the headquarters in Lichendale in my county of Meitheal but once we are ready for it we might expand to faraway lands. Our aim is to have a guildhall in every major city and a network of alchemy shops so that we can offer our services everywhere..

We also have some plans for setting up a school for alchemy and possibly a herbalism guild!

Apprentices will work and learn under more experienced alchemists in order to learn the basics of alchemy. At first they will handle menial jobs but that is necessary to hone their skills so that they can safely work with more dangerous substances and transmutations. When they are ready to work independetly they will be given rank of a journeyman.

Journeymen are independent alchemists working for the guild. They are skilled and trusted enough to receive some of the trade secrets of the guild. Journeymen can work independently or under a master alchemist.

Masters are the most renowned workers of the guild. They advance the field of alchemy and lead their own research projects. They can lead guildhalls in major cities or work as master craftsmen in their own shops.

Counselors are masters who are part of the advisory council. They guide and lead the guild with the Grandmaster.

The leader of the guild who handles the everyday decision making and guild management with the advisory council.

As alchemists will need a lot of glassware we will be on good terms with glassblowers. Blacksmiths and tinkerers are also major trading partners who will provide us with elemental metal, metalware and parts and in return we will provide them with solvents and other alchemical products needed in metalworking.

The guild will also employ gatherers and hunters to find and deliver alchemical ingredients from nature to the guild. Sometimes a group of alchemists might take a field trip to discover new ingredients and will need guides and guards to assist them.

Military and mercenary groups will most likely need many of our products. We will provide what we can within the rules and regulations of the kingdoms we operate in.

Meaning of the Name

”The Great Work (Latin: Magnum opus) is an alchemical term for the process of working with the prima materia to create the philosopher's stone. It has been used to describe personal and spiritual transmutation in the Hermetic tradition, attached to laboratory processes and chemical color changes, used as a model for the individuation process, and as a device in art and literature.” Magnum Opus in Wikipedia

Many aspects of this project are still subject to change as we learn more about guilds and alchemy. If you want to hear or discuss more please join Magnum Opus Discord or send me a message on the forums!

7/7/2017 9:19:38 AM #1

Looking good :D good luck with this venture :D

7/9/2017 9:33:54 AM #2

Very nice well done.

7/10/2017 2:49:54 PM #3

Posted By Nagash at 12:19 PM - Fri Jul 07 2017

Looking good :D good luck with this venture :D

Posted By Dongiovanna at 12:33 PM - Sun Jul 09 2017

Very nice well done.

Thanks to both of you! I have to praise Lech who made the nice images for the guild and also for my town!

7/21/2017 2:08:42 AM #4

I like it. Well done

9/5/2017 3:53:39 PM #5

Nice presentation!

9/6/2017 10:55:05 AM #6

Nice post heheh

Count of Latium

10/9/2017 8:24:27 AM #7

Thanks! Quite a lot of waiting still ahead of us so I try to keep things simple for now.

1/7/2018 12:49:11 AM #8

Excellent post! I look forward to seeing how the guild progresses over time.

1/15/2018 4:30:17 PM #9

I look forward to hosting one of your guild halls.

2/2/2018 6:40:01 AM #10

Posted By Cromulent at 02:49 AM - Sun Jan 07 2018

Excellent post! I look forward to seeing how the guild progresses over time.

Posted By Sanguinesh Eviscerator at 6:30 PM - Mon Jan 15 2018

I look forward to hosting one of your guild halls.

Thanks fellas! I will gladly offer my guild's services within your domains!

I guess I have to update some stuff soon, maybe this weekend already.

5/17/2018 8:00:27 PM #11

I updated the post with the fact that we are nowadays part of the kingdom of Al-Khezam. Forgot to add that when we joined few months ago ^_^

5/18/2018 12:09:17 PM #12

I must admit that I have thought about Alchemy for a while but as I'm new I still need to find out if It will be a viable money making venture for me and the guild. I was also thinking of being a hunter and wondered if they would compliment each other.

5/20/2018 5:50:19 PM #13

Posted By Blaike at 3:09 PM - Fri May 18 2018

I must admit that I have thought about Alchemy for a while but as I'm new I still need to find out if It will be a viable money making venture for me and the guild. I was also thinking of being a hunter and wondered if they would compliment each other.

It will probably be as viable for many making as any crafting skill but of course demand and supply will determine that. I would imagine hunting can be useful for alchemist especially if you are willing to gather some herbs while you are at it ;) We will have to wait and see how the crafting system works for alchemy.

8/11/2018 8:14:41 PM #14

With the Searing Plague event I just can't keep from wondering what kind of diseases CoE will have once the game launches and what we can do with alchemy to battle them or perhaps even enhance them.

8/13/2018 2:57:05 PM #15

Hi , nice post ! Gl hf in your project development ;)