COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Spirit Walking Questions

Its possible these have been answered elsewhere and I've missed it, but here goes:

1. I know if your character is Coup de Graced (CdG) then you enter spirit walk and must make it back to your body in a set time period or face permadeath. What I'm curious about is if while you are offline and your character is being operated as an OPC, and someone knocks you out a CdG's you then, do you immediately start your Spirit Walk timer or does it wait until the next time you log in?

2. I know it has been stated that the means of preventing camping on someones body and repeatedly CdGing it is a 2 hour period where the player will be made in some way immune after finishing a spirit walk. Is there any more details about how that will work, and/or whether it will be balanced by any form of Resurrection Sickness that will prevent it from being abused?

7/30/2017 6:36:38 PM #1

Posted By Abool at

Its possible these have been answered elsewhere and I've missed it, but here goes:

1. I know if your character is Coup de Graced (CdG) then you enter spirit walk and must make it back to your body in a set time period or face permadeath. What I'm curious about is if while you are offline and your character is being operated as an OPC, and someone knocks you out a CdG's you then, do you immediately start your Spirit Walk timer or does it wait until the next time you log in?

It will be the next time you log in if I remember correctly, would really suck if you try to log on one day only to be notified that your subscription has ended and you need to buy another SoL.

1. I know it has been stated that the means of preventing camping on someones body and repeatedly CdGing it is a 2 hour period where the player will be made in some way immune after finishing a spirit walk. Is there any more details about how that will work, and/or whether it will be balanced by any form of Resurrection Sickness that will prevent it from being abused?

The 2 hour immunity is from the spirit loss of a CDG not from death itself so it is possible to die again after your spirit walk but you just won't suffer the spirit loss as normal. Really the only potential for abuse is spawn camping but returning from a spirit walks allows you to "ressurect" at a safe distance from where you died, how far away you respawn is up for speculation as far as I know.

UDL

7/31/2017 10:08:35 AM #2

Thank you for the answers! I was a bit concerned about the OPC spirit walking, it did seem like a bit of a bummer way to go. With these answers I have a few more questions.

In the case of being killed as an OPC and starting your spirit walk upon your return to the game:

1. Does the spirit walk use your characters age from when he was killed for the spirit walk or from when next you log in?

2. Does your character continue to age while dead and waiting on your return to do a spirit walk?

3. How much time is allowed for a person to return to their character and perform the spirit walk?

4. If killed as an OPC will there be some sort of event log the player can refer back to in order to determine how he "died?" I know that there has been a lot of talk about the SBE recording information as a tradeable good, which means there undoubtedly will be an event log, but does this event log record the actual identity of someone that has attacked and/or CDGed you, or does it just record thing like "You were stabbed and incapacitated" and "You were Coup de Graced"?

7/31/2017 10:19:09 AM #3

Posted By Abool at 06:08 AM - Mon Jul 31 2017

Thank you for the answers! I was a bit concerned about the OPC spirit walking, it did seem like a bit of a bummer way to go. With these answers I have a few more questions.

In the case of being killed as an OPC and starting your spirit walk upon your return to the game:

1. Does the spirit walk use your characters age from when he was killed for the spirit walk or from when next you log in?

2. Does your character continue to age while dead and waiting on your return to do a spirit walk?

3. How much time is allowed for a person to return to their character and perform the spirit walk?

4. If killed as an OPC will there be some sort of event log the player can refer back to in order to determine how he "died?" I know that there has been a lot of talk about the SBE recording information as a tradeable good, which means there undoubtedly will be an event log, but does this event log record the actual identity of someone that has attacked and/or CDGed you, or does it just record thing like "You were stabbed and incapacitated" and "You were Coup de Graced"?

1.) A spark of life is 52 weeks. An unknown death is roughly 2 days.. Punishments are of some undisclosed multiplier.

2.) I would assume so.

3.) Not decided, don't expect to feel robbed.

4.) It would surely make sense to know why you are in the spirit realm. But depends on something else to know "who" did it.

All of these points are conjecture, there is some idea on how this will work that is said by the developers, but we don't have the hard mechanics. People do need to log off some time. And if that time happens when you happen to die, I would expect you to have some certain mechanic that deals with this directly.

I would assume only the most safe players will get the full year.

7/31/2017 10:38:46 AM #4

You have 30 days to return to CdG OPC or risk permadeath, when you return you will spirit walk and will have a bounty token to turn in to sheriff to report your attacker. Those were from Caspian when asked these same questions a while back.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

7/31/2017 1:18:56 PM #5

From my understanding of the mechanics as they are now:

1) I am assuming you are talking about time here, so when forced to do a Spirit Walk, the actual timer for the spirit walk itself will start when you log back in. The only question I personally have is when you have to do a Walk from a AFK situation where you were still technically logged in, and I am guessing that your timer will immediately start (just a guess).

2) As far as I know your character will always age no matter what. So you would take your Spirit Loss when you die and enter the Spirit Walk Area then continue to age normally.

3) Spirit Walks are based on, you got it Spirit, which is the lifeblood of your character. When you die you loose spirit and when you get down to none you perma die and have to create a new character, and whether you use the same soul or not is up to you. The old your character gets or the more deaths they have will lower the overall spirit for that character. As the spirit gets lower the time you have to recover gets shorter and the 'soul cord' tied to your soul gets weaker. Eventually you can't see the cord anymore and/or the time is so short that you can't return to your soul to recover, that is a perma death and time for a new character.

4) While we don't know much about the OPC Scripting and Mode, the Devs have made hints that there will be some sort of activity log while In OPC mode probably showing contracts fulfilled, interactions, purchases and probably deaths and causes. How detailed they will be is anyone's guess but some sort of log should be available. I would assume it might point to being attacked but not by whom since you don't know their name. If you do know them then perhaps. Remember there will not be any names floating over the players heads unless you know them, so a stranger may continue being a stranger even in the logs.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/31/2017 3:39:04 PM #6

Thank you everybody for all of your answers! Summing it up we have:

1. We are assuming it will base it off of your character's age when you log back in.

2. Yes

3. 30 days

4. System still unknown, but assume log will show killer's name only if killer character is logged in victim character's known contact list, aka only if your character "Knows" them.

One final concept I am sort of curious about is how exactly logs will work with the Waerd. Do they have a community "Contact list"? AKA, can a Waerd killed by someone it personally does not know share the face of its killer with the community and ascertain the identity from among a communally established list of identities they have made? I know that this question at this point is probably pure conjecture, but still curious with as much talk as goes on about the Waerd if any details about this communal knowledge system has been shared.

8/3/2017 1:04:42 PM #7

So, CdG causes spirit loss, does taking longer to return to your body have any penalties? other than perma death if you dont make it. Like if I have an hour to get back to my body, and it is nearby, can I spend 20min wandering around with no penalty?

9/20/2017 2:22:04 AM #8

Also, I did not understand the spirit walking after having returned to your body. Is there anything keeping someone or something from continually knocking you out at the same location or will you spirit walk back to your body and have a grace time to get to safety or find help?

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

9/20/2017 7:57:12 AM #9

Posted By Varhukan at 04:22 AM - Wed Sep 20 2017

Also, I did not understand the spirit walking after having returned to your body. Is there anything keeping someone or something from continually knocking you out at the same location or will you spirit walk back to your body and have a grace time to get to safety or find help?

You don't revive on exactly the same spot, so there is no point in camping the body. I don't know the exact distance, but I bet it's enough to escape a second attack. It has to be that because animals might camp your body the rest of their lives :)

9/22/2017 5:47:32 PM #10

Thanks!

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC