COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Crime, false accusations, and Spirit Loss

So this enters theory crafting territory as I suspect this information hasn't been released yet; but, so far the only punishment that we know of for Crime for sure is some Loss of Spirit but that is in regards to those who've completed a CDG on another character.

So a loss of spirit for making someone else lose spirit, which is fair. But what happens in a case where investors come for the innocent you who just so happens to be the only person who fits the profile of the criminal?

Would innocent people still receive the penalty of Spirit Loss if framed properly? Even if we take an extreme example and say on your travels you have to stop at a near by settlement, but you come to find out you walked into a "bandit town" ran by a small group of friends who let you know you're breaking the local law by not wearing x the coat of arms for the settlement and thus you get sentenced for a stupid crime but still get tacked with a little spirit loss.

The questions I pose is...

1) When creating laws (implicit contracts) do you also set the cost of punishment for said crime or will that be handled by the the game engine? Personally I believe it should be set by the players (1) to take a load off the engine since it's already handling every NPC interaction and (2) different biomes have different play styles and obstacles so maybe having a high population might be bad in some cases so a steady communal killing to make sure food and resources don't get over expended might be essential to survival.

2) Is the punishment for all Crimes spirit loss related or can you make the punishment for crimes monetary or property related? In addition to that, if the persecuted doesn't have any money or property then what would the punishment be? Spirit Loss? Hard labor? Spirit loss would be the easiest since Hard Labor means that you'd have to at least restrict another characters movement via binding or locking them in a room (two things you cannot do to other characters).

3) If you are falsely accused of a Crime and receive a spirit loss penalty, is it possible to have your character permadie requiring you to buy a new Spark of Life?

4) Is there any punishment for falsely accusing a character for a crime? As much as I wish for Ace attorney to suddenly pop out of nowhere yelling "Objection!!" and save my bacon when I'm being falsely accused I think SBS will come with a different form of notification.

UDL

8/4/2017 10:54:40 PM #1

1) unknown 2) unknown 3) yes 4) you would need to have forged evidence to generate the token so I suspect yes there will be since forgery of every kind is illegal.

8/4/2017 11:33:16 PM #2

A witness could be considered evidence as well right? So in the event of the inevitable trolls who get a buddy in the legal system as a judge (or whoever is responsible for producing bounty tokens) while their reign of false accusations will most likely be short, since it still would be possible to incur permadeath via false accusations I see a number of victims before the trolls get removed from office since there really is no limit to the amount of crimes you could be persecuted for.

UDL

8/5/2017 1:43:19 AM #3

Posted By Yoruninja808 at 7:33 PM - Fri Aug 04 2017

A witness could be considered evidence as well right? So in the event of the inevitable trolls who get a buddy in the legal system as a judge (or whoever is responsible for producing bounty tokens) while their reign of false accusations will most likely be short, since it still would be possible to incur permadeath via false accusations I see a number of victims before the trolls get removed from office since there really is no limit to the amount of crimes you could be persecuted for.

They'd need to forge an information token to pass to the judge as their testimony. But yes if you had a corrupt judge that accepted just any piece of info regardless of quality you could use that to damage someone. So dukes should be on the lookout for people who might do that. Unless the duke is in on it as well....

8/5/2017 2:01:00 AM #4

I wonder if there is going to be teirs in the legal system, so if someone gets punished on a mayor level, someone on a count level can repeal the judgement. Likewise with count and king tiers.

But it seems sketchy since how would a repeal system work? If repealed could you get spirit back and counter the permadeath?

UDL

10/11/2017 3:28:34 PM #5

Posted By Yoruninja808 at 7:33 PM - Fri Aug 04 2017

and on that note that makes me wonder about corrupt government officials say you just got a really nice land deed from the king or duchy but a corrupt monarch monarch wants that land for himself couldn't he falsely accuse you if he had forged evidence and get your property taken away or possibly killed i think that would make people quit i hope they dont do this