COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Guild and School Locations?

I know that very little is still known about guilds and schools. There is a small section in the Technology and Research dev journal and there's only a brief description on the wiki. The dev journal talks about using an organization's equipment, so obviously guilds and schools will have physical locations.

What I'm wondering is if they will be limited to a single physical location. I've heard people talk about opening "branches" of a guild in other cities. Will something like that be possible, or will a guild/school be limited to a single location? And is it known yet how a building will be designated as a guild or school as opposed to my own personal research space?

10/5/2017 1:19:23 PM #1

I can assume larger guilds or schools will open and maintain a 'main' location and as they grow they will spread to different areas. I see Guilds staying some what regional since most are centered around a particular focus and resource. Religions are also narrowly focused however are not necessarily tied to a particular area and can be located anywhere. And schools can have a combination of teachers and trainers which will provide broad range of training and will be easily adaptable to almost anywhere, so I see them as being easier to spread and bring a further distance from the main location. So I see Guilds as almost biome specific, religions almost being tribal may spread out a little further, and actual training schools can be located almost anywhere.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

10/5/2017 1:47:44 PM #2

I guess what I'm asking is how the "spread to different areas" would work. What I imagine is a guild/school opens a location in city A. They want to expand to city B, so they they purchase or lease a plot of land in city B to build a new location and some in-game mechanic associates the new location in city B to the guild/school in city A.

I agree that some guilds will likely be much more local/regional, but I can see schools spreading out more to increase the number of people doing research.

10/5/2017 1:51:39 PM #3

Guilds and schools are both supposed to be able to have branches in separate locations to spread their organization.

10/5/2017 5:10:52 PM #4

Seem pretty easy, School A is looking to buy land in County B, They buy the land, they build the school B and they make a contract saying that the school B is owned by school A and will follow the same way of teaching that the school A is using.

10/5/2017 5:25:16 PM #5

Ooo, I didn't think about the contract system being used. That makes it easy to cut off a branch of the go rogue or do anything else against the rules of the guild.

10/5/2017 5:31:05 PM #6

Yep it seem to be the best way i think

4/10/2018 8:37:19 PM #7

Can a guild be a school? In actual medieval days guilds trained apprentices and had there own kind of schools. Will guilds in Elyria be able to operate some kind of school? How will guilds be able to train someone and, what is it that only a school could do?

4/10/2018 9:11:18 PM #8

Posted By SqueakyWheels at 4:37 PM - Tue Apr 10 2018

Can a guild be a school? In actual medieval days guilds trained apprentices and had there own kind of schools. Will guilds in Elyria be able to operate some kind of school? How will guilds be able to train someone and, what is it that only a school could do?

A guild can teach people and doesn't has to share all knowledge plus they can make patents. I believe guilds are more geared towards production where schools are more geared to research

5/17/2018 5:40:23 AM #9

I am sure there will be guilds spanning across several cities. Personally see myself running as a merchant in the game and if a large merchant guild is created then they'll most likely see that having a single area of operations limits themselves heavily. for example say a kingdom has heavy access to mines while another one has none but contains lush forests. instead of having one area in one or the other you could have two branches in both that trade and travel from one to the other. At least that's my guess seeing as from what they say nearly everything is going to be player built.

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

5/17/2018 7:38:53 AM #10

First of all we have to remember that most of what we are discussing is assumption, as it was pointed out by the OP we do not have the full scope of information and knowledge yet.

What we know is that organizations will both act like "entities" and require some sort of charter. It also was told that organizations will be able to open branches.

What all that means ?

• Organizations as "entities" it means that they can "act" a bit like characters, they can own things and sign contracts (by a proxy, a character with the clearance to sign in their name).

• Organizations sign a charter, which means that they have internal rules and hierarchy and they have "rules" that apply to their relation with authorities (depending on who signed the charter)

• Organizations can open branches, we do not really know what branches are, but i'd assume that branches are more than presence in an other place. What i mean is that if a guild is implanted in a settlement and decide to buy a warehouse in an other settlement, they probably not need a branch or a new charter. If on the other hand they plan to have local activities and would need to sign a charter with local authorities, they could create a branch. Now how independent is a branch ? are branches 100% part of the original organization or is there an internal charter ruling the relations between the branch and the original organization ?

5/17/2018 9:48:47 AM #11

Posted By Moohasha at

I know that very little is still known about guilds and schools. There is a small section in the Technology and Research dev journal and there's only a brief description on the wiki. The dev journal talks about using an organization's equipment, so obviously guilds and schools will have physical locations.

What I'm wondering is if they will be limited to a single physical location. I've heard people talk about opening "branches" of a guild in other cities. Will something like that be possible, or will a guild/school be limited to a single location? And is it known yet how a building will be designated as a guild or school as opposed to my own personal research space?

You can have branches within the same kingdom. If it's in another kingdom, it will be a different guild/organization.

Posted By SqueakyWheels at 10:37 PM - Tue Apr 10 2018

Guilds and schools are similar, but different. In CoE, if a guild researches something, the guild gets a patent for 3 real life weeks. And only members of the guild will be legally able to make use of the research (to the benefit of the guild).

After 3 weeks they may extend it for another 3 weeks (at a price), after that it becomes public knowledge.

Schools however immediately share their research to the world.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX