COMMUNITY - FORUMS - LUNA DOMAINS
Presentation of the Virtori Church of Thearyn.

Please consider this post an archive.

As we have re branded to better serve the faithful of Elyria. You can find our new official post here: Grand Church of the Virtori Faithful

Presentation of the Virtori Church of Thearyn

Internal Struggles and how that makes for a strong, evolving and interesting Church.

Searching for Virtue and balance in dividing paths of the same institution allows those that wish for perhaps differing playstyles of Theocratic Roleplay the opportunity to do so, in the same church for one Land.

So we of the Kingdom of Thearyn present: The dynamics of the Church of Virtori in the Duchy of Thearyn

We believe the following will show you how we wish to start an interesting narrative with an added bit of rivalry, intrigue and even debate on theology. At the same time constructing strong points within the church to ensure a strong kingdom and religion lore with ample room for your roleplay and the start of a developing future story you'll create with us.

We've developed three basic anchors for morality tendencies within our church history to allow your role play or character choice to feel part of an organized religion. We wanted it to feel organized, but not so organized that it stifled play.

Due to the lack of info on mechanics, this will lack some of the organizational branches, except for an entry a on theology debating, which could serve as part of a church structure. Future mechanics may even help, however...

...these ideas are constructed to exist without any formal structure. As they are the story of the the very founding thoughts of the Church itself, Virtori and the delicate balance that is Virtue and Vice, and how different sections of the church focus their pursuit of Virtue to balance the vice rampant in the world.

Also there is no TL:DR Sorry!

The three pursuits of Virtue have a historical point of lore in the Church.

Within them are the commonality: Search for Virtue

And a differing Morality point: How they feel they exact or obtain virtue.

This allows personal variation in a religion that feels like an organized and time worn theology and institution.

Of the Chevaliers:

Those whom the search for virtue is in the Defence of those around them. They are the Shield and at times the sword of the Church and the blessed defenders of the land.

The Chevaliers (Or Gentlemenn) are the members of the church who swear in the search for virtue to use their strength of arms to protect King, Kingdom and the people of the Church. Be it the routing of troublesome bandits, heretics, or more dangerous enemies of King and Church. They insure there is a peaceful land for Virtori belief to flourish.

We see the Chevaliers as the more people and kingdom centered side of the church. the more Civil concerned holy defenders protecting people, peace and pilgrim in the Kingdom and beyond.

Should another religion attempt of slaughter the faithful, the Chevalier are first to ride. Meaning they see the people of kingdom, and the weakest of the church; their charges and pivotal to their own search for Virtue in a Vice ridden world.

Of the Inquisitors:

Those whose main focus is spreading the word of Virtori. The methods may vary between groups within the inquisitors. They are sworn to the Word of Virtori first. Thus are more likely to act heavy handed against those they see as a valid threat to the Virtori Faith, Rumors abound of Inquisitors and if there are devious truths behind their name

We see the Inquisitors as the most Zealous of the Church of Virtori. More concerned with the church's permanence in the Kingdom, and maintaining a strong connection to the civil affairs of the Kingdom.

Though historically the Church and Nobility has enjoyed a strong relationship, the spreading of the Virtori religion as a whole is where their primary passion lay.

Of The Impassioned:

These folks may very well make up the bulk of the Church in part because of their possibly more varied lives.

"For those whom wish to live at least a partial life of religion and the heart of Charity. With all the suffering in the world and the Seven Vices it is the Clergy who bring succor to the masses and embody the Seven Virtues to those in need. Should you join for a life in the light of the gods, or do so in one's travels."

From small town preachers to groups of Monks while they meditate and sing worship to Virtori.

Traveling Priests/Priestesses who travel the lands giving aid to the hungry and sick, or traveling with those who adventure to give that well practiced medical aid to those whom take riskier ventures than a town's occasional injuries.

These are the souls who know well that Vice is ever present, and the spread of Virtue is what sustains that balance. In pursuit of that Virtue, they may seek out the wounded in battle, no matter the banner.

And these are the very townspeople whom work and live next door to each other, keep each other safe, and ensure their neighbors are fed as they too embody those virtues.

The Narrative could be built by this:

Some Internal struggle makes for good stories.

Inquisitors glaring and spitting at the Half believers of the Chevaliers. The Impassioned whom move about the kingdom, dealing with all peoples, and maybe the prior two, in differing ways.

It can open up the opportunity to debate on the interpretation of scripture. giving some structure and the chance for players to fight a theocratic "War of Words" on how the church should act based on scripture.

I can imagine the fun of the many sides debating heartily in the halls of a great cathedral

The inner Church intrigue allows a "Dance of Popedoms" for those who may want a different flavor to nobility alone, like those who want to take full advantage of a Theocratic system

The Chevaliers could develop Indignation at the harsh methods of the Inquisitors, Joking amongst themselves that the Inquisitors love the Vices as much as the Virtues, which brings us to…

Role Play opportunity built by this:

"The Character"

By giving three Consistent anchors to vary your roleplay on for those looking for a holy pursuit

We're looking at 3 Church history/lore divisions. Allowing a very broad range aligned on a combination of the Virtori Lore along with some interpretation to meld all this in a style that doesn't depend on mechanics. The differences could really be as simple as what style of Clergy do you want to be.

Even in just the three there are many possibilities, and this will help define only the vaguest of lines so players will have indication to which parts of the church hold like role players or styles of play, but still have a recognizable church structure, as any church would have. Giving it a consistent stability to allow the development of it's storyline.

The intent here is to give a permanency to the church that will allow it to survive the 10+ years we have ahead of us from live.

For instance Under Inquisitor alone you could have Torturers and Executioners who embrace the "darkest" side of the Church and its practices; or those who track down and expose those who lie in the church's name or commits crimes against those in the church.

You abhor the more grisly, yet defend the Word of Virtori and the good of Virtori and Church.

"The Environment"

By having different sides of the same coin it allows the roleplay to be more fluid as even the robes someone wears can allow the spark of role play.

Lessening the need for people to so clearly state their allegiances before being able to continue the role having established those much needed reference points in the lore of the churches divisions.

A Simplified Example:

If we assume red robes = inquisitors, Blue robes = Chevaliers

A portion of information has already been presented to the role player. While not specific information, If you are wearing the blue robes of the Chevalier, your encounter and most importantly, how you act before interaction is even begun with someone in red robes, has assisted greatly in a the smoothing of the experience.

You don't have to enter the conversation smiling if you detest the Inquisitors, to find out if they ARE an inquisitor, and then frown/spit.

You also don't have to enter those encounters completely neutral, which may not fit your roleplay style/Character until you discover his/her connections.

"The living breathing Church"

Inquisitors may inspire players to cheer them as they are about to find a wicked betrayer of Virtori or run in their houses, close shutters, for fear the Red Robes have come for them.

Having these anchors to allow role play to evolve past the chat box, and construct a kingdom that responds even visually to the story line of the kingdom we collectively make is what i believe this will foster.

What Mechanics does this depend on? Few if any. This is a framework to give some solid ideas how a Theocratic theme can be built to inspire Role play, Narrative, tension, interaction and most importantly fun for those interested in such a theme.

It is our work to make sure this opportunity is made possible by the King and people, Like me, Working to make this kingdom real for you but..

...This of course depends on You! The prospective Impassioned Priests and Priestesses, Inquisitors and Chevaliers or merely the lovers of Virtori to make real. As well for those of other faiths to flower or wilt in the stories explored with a state favored religion.

We want to give you interesting choices such as this in Thearyn in addition to those that will be offered by the great people who join us in the Kingdom.

We're working hard to help build the experience on top of a most exciting game.

And please once again visit the Duchy page for Duke Maulvorn and please lend us your support!

Virtori Church of Thearyn and Saint Rothgard Solstice Discord

Thank you for your consideration.

• Flawliss, Priest Magistrate of The Virtori Church of Thearyn. Mayor of Saint Rothgard's Solstice.

11/20/2017 6:03:01 PM #1

Thank you all!

11/23/2017 7:10:52 AM #2

Thank you to those whom have reached out and are excited about this idea. You can also find me under the same name in COE Discord and ask further questions, chat etc.

11/27/2017 3:35:56 PM #3

For those who missed it, we in the The Virtori Church of Thearyn in concert with The Kingdom of Thearyn's Prospective King Maulvorn have released this short.

May it guide you to the path of virtue and happiness.

1/2/2018 7:19:18 AM #4

I want to add some religious stuff to my county.

I think i will catch you on discord and pick your brain abit when I can, you come recommended after all !

enjoy free bump haha cheers !

1/3/2018 1:19:47 AM #5

Posted By Aneira at 02:19 AM - Tue Jan 02 2018

I want to add some religious stuff to my county.

I think i will catch you on discord and pick your brain abit when I can, you come recommended after all !

enjoy free bump haha cheers !

Thank you and i'm most humbled by your interest and the faith of your recommender. You can contact me on discord at: Flawliss#6821

I look forward to talking with you!

1/3/2018 4:07:51 AM #6

Hope to see the Grand Debates soon.

May the best one wins!

1/3/2018 6:04:40 AM #7

Posted By Tetho at 11:07 PM - Tue Jan 02 2018

Hope to see the Grand Debates soon.

Thank you Tetho. I'm looking forward to it as well. I hope everyone brings their best arguments as we search and discover Virtori lore and relics!

1/11/2018 9:37:56 AM #8

Small edits and Image added. I'd also like to add here a link to the Grand Debates forum post which i've been told has been missed a bit more often than this one. And thank you for letting me know.

Please everyone enjoy and as always, If this or the Settlement of Saint Rothgard's Solstice interests you, please contact me on discord: Flawliss#6821 or through forum message!

On with the debates! The Grand Debates of The Virtori Church of Thearyn

1/12/2018 1:32:00 PM #9

I look forward to us working together.

1/13/2018 10:04:30 PM #10

Posted By Gamia at 1:32 PM - Fri Jan 12 2018

Indeed, me too!

1/14/2018 12:23:24 PM #11

Posted By Gamia at 08:32 AM - Fri Jan 12 2018

As do i my friend!