COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Contest Winners: Trials of Karcion Part 1 (November)

Wanna know what the Trials of Karcion is all about? Here's the contest information!

We had a ton of great entries to both contests for November’s Trials, and it was SO HARD to just pick three submissions for each contest but without further adieu….

The Conclave of Contests presents, for the first time ever, the Trials of Karcion community contest winners in “Autumnal Elyria” and “The Thousand Words a Picture Paints” contests!

1st Place

“The Wisp March” by Scuttle

The structure of “The Wisp March” was extremely reminiscent of the “Queen’s Gaze” official lore piece, the writing combined a rigid description of a Dras celebration and incorporated a bit of fanfiction-lore called “The Bones of Luzien” to back up the details. Our favorite aspect of the write-up is definitely the description of the fanmade beverage, “wispwater”, an extremely strong (or toxic, depending on how you look at it) alcoholic bioluminescent drink served during the the event. We felt that the entry combined all of the aspects into one entertaining, interesting, and detailed piece that earned its place in first.

2nd Place

“The Anima Celebration” by Verbage

“The Anima Celebration” was wonderfully creative while sticking with the major theme of a Kypiq autumn celebration. As one judge put it, “The Anima Celebration was a compelling read that was somewhat reminiscent of real-world fertility rituals and celebrations. The placing of this celebration in the Autumn, however, was quite novel. The reverence for the trees and the returning of their leaves from whence they came was quite impactful.”

3rd Place

“As the Winds Blow a Dead Leaf” by Markof

This place was one of the hardest to decide on. While “As the Winds Blow a Dead Leaf” didn’t prioritize any one specific tribe, it chose to take on a broader idea of what Autumn means to different tribes. We particularly liked the beautiful vision of the Kypiq celebration; the lighting of tiny lanterns made of dead leaves, sending them off into the night sky to celebrate the migration of the birds, whose leafy homes have disappeared as the trees shed their leaves. Though we would have loved to see a little bit more detail in the piece, the author seemed to understand the tribes well enough to not make them do something that would be out of their normal behavior and fit their ideas nicely into each culture, which earned it third place.

1st Place

“Sins of a Scriviner” based on concept-art #2 (Classroom scene) by Trug

“Sins of a Scriviner” expertly touched on the main theme of the concept art along with writing a clear narrative about one particular student in the class. The entry was able to create a strong central theme about Virtorian values in the classroom setting and created a mysterious, yet memorable, storyline that could easily be expanded upon in additional chapters with its subtle yet exciting cliffhanger.

2nd Place

“Under that Baleful Glare” based on concept-art #1 (Adventurer Scene) by Scylurus

“Under that Baleful Glare” encorporated a lot of things we love about Chronicles of Elyria, one of which being the creation and evolution of personal story. It had many elements incorporating Elyria, while also including details found within the concept art like the tentacles within the icy walls of the cavern, and creating an important reason as to why the adventurer is heading towards the sunken ship.

3rd Place

“A Study in Audacity” based on concept-art #2 (Classroom Scene) by Scuttle

“A Study in Audacity” immediately draws the reader in and asks tough philosophical questions that make the reader really think about belief structures in Elyria. As one judge put it: “The introduction of an agnostic character and challenging the beliefs of the Al’tifali made this a story about more than just some bored students.”

Bonus Drawing & Honorable Mention

And finally….the bonus drawing for those who participated in BOTH contests! This bonus drawing came in late as an incentive to draw (no pun intended) in entrants who had already participated in Autumnal Elyria, so the following deserve a BIG thanks for participating in BOTH contests: Hieronymus, Sundae, Scuttle, and Nightfinger -- Thank you!

The winner of the Borderlands 2 bundle is....

Hieronymus!

Who submitted their entries “Divine Veneration” in Autumnal Elyria and “A Picture Paints” in The 1,000 Words a Picture Paints contests!

Winners will be contacted through direct message on the Chronicles of Elyria website so keep an eye out for your message! Please allow 24 hours for contact

Contest Entries

While we had to choose clear winners, I highly recommend checking out ALL of the entries (who indicated consent) for each of the contests found in this public drive folder linked below:

Autumnal Elyria Contest Entries

The 1,000 Words a Picture Paints Contest Entries

Please note that in order to maintain no bias for any particular entry, entries were judged anonymously, however all entry titles & authors are displayed on the public drives in the file name of the corresponding entry.

Congratulations to the winners and thank you ALL who participated in the first EVER Trials of Karcion! It was such a pleasure to read all of the entries and we were amazed by the exceptional creativity presented by our fellow community members!

Stay tuned for December 1st when we reveal the series two in The Trials of Karcion!

11/28/2017 11:14:40 PM #1

well done every 1 that entered and a big congrats to those that won

From Our Farm Gate To Your Dinner Plate.

Friend Code : EE5C8E

11/28/2017 11:22:06 PM #2

Lovely!

I think we as a community, and the studio, can be proud that the game, in development as it is, has inspired so many hearts and minds to write already.

Congratulations to the winners!

11/28/2017 11:27:05 PM #3

victory screech

I'm.... honored, touched, ecstatic, overjoyed that my pieces were selected, and so happy to be able to make my contribution to the community, however small. Thank you so much to the mods for creating and organizing this initiative, it inspired so much creativity from everyone! Looking forward to part 2.

Once I calm down a bit from my elation I'm gonna read the rest of the entries! I can't wait!

11/28/2017 11:36:31 PM #4

Wow, thank you so much! I'm glad you liked the tale, and I can't wait to read the others! Huge shout-out to Hellmoon and Caelestius for setting this up, and all the other folks who participated. I really enjoyed the challenge and look forward to more in the future!

11/29/2017 1:40:07 AM #5

Congratulations again to all of the winners!

Confirmation messages have been sent out, if you have won but do not see a message in your COE message inbox - please message me in whichever way is most convenient!

11/29/2017 3:47:38 AM #6

I won a participation trophy! Sweeeeeeeeet. :D :D :D

11/29/2017 4:33:02 AM #7

I haven't read all of them yet tonight, but there are some great stories here. Congratulations to the winners and all who entered!

Thanks so much to Hellmoon and Caelestius for working so hard on setting this up. Hope to see more of these events and amazing pieces :)

11/29/2017 5:05:47 AM #8

I had fun doing the creative thing, thanks for putting it on!

11/29/2017 8:12:43 AM #9

All of these are really well done!

11/29/2017 8:18:23 AM #10

Congratulations! ~~♥♥♥♥

11/29/2017 2:33:27 PM #11

Very well done, indeed. Hat tip to all the participants.

12/1/2017 6:37:10 AM #12

This was a fantastic community event and I want to thank the mods for starting it. I can't wait to see what else the community comes up with. Thanks to everyone who participated, and congratulations to those who won!