COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Starting at the bottom

So my question is simple, if I start as the lowest level of commoner, is it still possible to gain renown and add a family sur-name? Or would i need to start with it?

1/14/2018 12:09:39 AM #1

You absolutely can. The game is being designed to allow exactly that. You just have to work to achieve that in game post-launch rather than purchasing the desired status pre-launch.

1/21/2018 7:55:03 PM #2

To grow a name from the founding father. Starting as a simple farmer who took up his pitch fork for defense, to become a royal knight or even king is a great pitch. Honestly i can't wait to see the life stories of what people are able to create and do.

1/21/2018 8:53:53 PM #3

Yeah it's a great draw. There's so much potential for greatness with this game.

3/3/2018 9:28:28 AM #4

This had been a question on my mind too. I'm excited to get into this game!

3/3/2018 12:25:45 PM #5

If I'm not mistaken, going from farmer to ruler is exactly what one of the things SBS wants to see is. Your question seems to be about creating a unique surname post-launch by virtue of deeds done. This would be an excellent thing to see happen but seems unlikely. The more likely scenario is you taking the surname of the family you are born into to greater heights. Never fear, anything is possible and only time will tell!

Tutum Silentii Premium

3/3/2018 1:58:51 PM #6

Everyone will start with a surname. If you don't have a custom surname, you will take on the surname of the family you start in, or be assigned a surname if you start as a ward of the state.

I haven't heard anything about creating a custom surname after launch, but I have heard that if you achieve something notable in-game you will have the option to change your name based on that. For example, if you slay a dragon, you could use the surname Dragonslayer.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/4/2018 1:11:10 PM #7

Great question!

You may not get to select/customize your family name initially, however as you perform accomplished tasks you could get an option to have a new surname.

Examples:

Slay the bear that was ravaging the village

This could earn you the surname (using the gossip functionality within the game) Bearslayer.

Or perhaps you are the first to sell 1 million copies of a book you crafted as a scribe. You may be known as Penman, or Inkpen.

With the proper skills, you and others could even manipulate the gossip mechanic to make it seem like you were the one that slayed that bear, or even wrote that book.

The possibilities are endless, based on the gossip mechanic of the Soulborn Engine.

3/15/2018 4:47:22 PM #8

Definitely! The wiki mentions exactly what Sport says

Posted By Sport at 08:11 AM - Sun Mar 04 2018

Great question!

You may not get to select/customize your family name initially, however as you perform accomplished tasks you could get an option to have a new surname.

Examples:

Slay the bear that was ravaging the village

This could earn you the surname (using the gossip functionality within the game) Bearslayer.

Or perhaps you are the first to sell 1 million copies of a book you crafted as a scribe. You may be known as Penman, or Inkpen.

With the proper skills, you and others could even manipulate the gossip mechanic to make it seem like you were the one that slayed that bear, or even wrote that book.

The possibilities are endless, based on the gossip mechanic of the Soulborn Engine.

Also just wanted to provide the link to the page, which also says that achievements are bound to the soul (to a certain extent.) So if you have an heir you could create a family with a legacy you can pass down!

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Achievements

Luna Server NA-East ; Citizen of the Kingdom of Kairos, Duchy of Ashira, County of Agrion Discord: https://discord.gg/msw2Qm

Member of the Azmar City Council, Student of Tyto Academy

Friend Code: C80DCC

3/16/2018 2:51:19 AM #9

Kyro, there are some very specific notes about how Fame and gaining of it works in this design journal: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/1772/DJ-16-The-Weight-and-Measure-of-a-Lifetime

You will find some unique but straightforward ways it functions, along with some very interesting situational things like comparative fame, such as if an entire settlements' population does something nifty and acquires an uncommon fame level, then specifically among each other, they all have a basic comparative fame.

"I'm awesome!" "So am I!" "True!" -Staring commences, followed by indifferent shrugs-

3/16/2018 11:13:23 PM #10

looks like there will be players with a big bonus at start based on the money they donated..

When you want to shoot, shoot dont talk!

3/17/2018 7:18:58 AM #11

Posted By Fgrobste at 4:13 PM - Fri Mar 16 2018

looks like there will be players with a big bonus at start based on the money they donated..

All those bonuses have strings attached. Will it be fun to be a marionette controlled by your possessions?

3/26/2018 10:43:37 AM #12

They list fame as a way to cause the owner to lose more time for each death but do not really go into the benefits. besides the gloating aspect what benefit does gaining fame have. Seems like if I was planning on living a dangerous life style I might want to avoid fame.

3/26/2018 1:22:05 PM #13

One thing to note is that having higher fame gets your more SPs. You can use that to prep for your next life. You'll be able to buy things for your next life with SP. Having higher fame and being active will have a benefit. We need to also count npc interaction. We don't know how fame will fully work with them.

3/26/2018 1:33:53 PM #14

It also acts as a reason for war...

Casus belli from Fame: A character who reaches a fame level consistent with a particular tier of title can lay claim to titles of that tier. should be noted this is for non nobility folks only.

And while I don’t have a quote (shocker!!) we do know some fuzzy details about fame and NPCs. A player with more fame will be far more likely to have a marriage contract / child contract with an NPC though it still requires favor with said NPC.

3/26/2018 2:26:42 PM #15

Most likely fame will allow NPCs to react more favorably to you and be more likely to do things you ask them to. Also will probably give you more influence through the gossip and rumor system to influence their opinions of other people/places/products as well.