COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA DOMAINS
[Riftwood] The Town of Briva ~ A Tourists Guide

The Seaside Town of Briva ~ A Tourists Guide

Welcome to the Seaside Town of Briva located in the county of Silverhaven Bay, and the Duchy of Atravana in the Kingdom of Riftwood. Idyllic Briva is situated among gentle, sandy shores with fleets of fishing vessels harbouring behind treachorously shifting sandbars along Silverhaven Bay. The county seat, this town of artists, sailors, and explorers espouses policies that are kind to artisans, adventurers, traders, and all who strive to find fortune and glory. (Although the rumors of pirates are completely unfounded and should be ignored by the tourist!) The prosperous and at times ribald trading hub is centered around the shipwrights guilds, arts school, banking alliances, and markets. Life is refined in upper Briva, however, where the well-dressed townsfolk thrive on conversation and leisurely appreciation for the better things in life.

As the traveler may have guessed, the sea faring vessels produced here are famed across the Riftwood coast. Fabrics of linen from the north of the kingdom exchange hands with tailors and sailcloth weavers, while silk comes into town from the Kypiq in their ambling merchant trains that follow the meandering highways from the forests far away to the north. Brightly colored fish with enormous sails go from the hands of fish mongers to the traders and fine restaurants. Makers of dazzling white sailcloth are carried to the docks to be fitted on the famous cutters paroling the coast. Only the finest of garments from the highest quality fabrics are made by the many skilled tailors of Briva.

A bite to eat and a drink can be found at any of the taverns which are rich with debate and delicious foods heady with exotic spices, while tea-houses offer a more gentle and elegant place of gathering, where intrigue and even a harrowing game of strategy can be found. Please do not loose your entire purse, dear traveler. If gambling and politics is not your style, visit one of the sprawling daily markets, or any of the special seasonal markets, which celebrate fish harvest with festivals and competitions. Tournaments just outside the city walls, decorated with a riotous blaze of colored banners streaming in the sea breeze, are sure to draw challenging warriors to compete for prizes and fame, as well as the wandering visitors to enjoy the music, food, and latest gossip from abroad.

The traveler may notice, as he walks the road towards town from inner Atravana, the wide clearances on either side of the highway, between the walls, and the more malodorous lines of work. Special markets such as animal trading, tanners, butchers, fishmongers, and dyers have their workshops and storefronts located outside of the city, offering prime trading for locals and merchants from afar.

After passing through the gates you'll find strong walls and a superbly trained Janoan guard to keep the streets safe, while public servants ensure a clean, beautiful place to live and work. By Duchy mandate, every citizen of any tribe or origin is required to be at least passable in a minimum of one combat weapon to aid in defense if necessary. As night falls, each resident or visitor lights his lantern to walk about with as the gates fall closed at nightfall. Skulking about in the shadows is not tolerated by the local guard.

Finding an inn along the town avenues or the sprawling boardwalk is a small endeavor. Just ask one of the friendly townsfolk hurrying by after work for directions. The inns and taverns boast good company and better libation to the music of skilled bards and ruckus laughter of sailors with their outlandish tales of far away islands of adventure. Or perhaps your purse can spare some coin to rent a more lavish room in one of the well appointed town homes in the residential district.

All are welcome to settle in Briva and the broader county, not just innkeepers and sailors. Clever tinkerers, carpenters, and blacksmiths will all find a a place to work their craft here. The town guard is always on the lookout to recruit fresh blood. Couriers are needed to deliver goods and messengers to run letters. Scribes can find work writing contracts. Brewers, bakers, and cooks to offer foodstuffs. Animal tamers and breeders to improve the flocks of sheep and goat. Fishermen to draw in sustenance for the county. Alchemists and herbalists are needed to tend to the ill and contribute by their scholarly pursuits to the whole Kingdom. The wealthiest land-owners enjoy seats on the council and live to see Briva prosper.

The School of Arts is dedicated to fostering mastery of craftsmanship, and sharing the knowledge with the Kingdom.

For those who wish to stay, a simple visit to the County Seat manor to purchase land or a home will be more than rewarding.

The Town of Briva

Town Goals:

The above fictional tourist guide is a romanticized vision of where I'm planning to take The Seaside Town of Briva. I've updated this piece to reflect the change in venue to the tropical rain forest coastal biome. The majority tribe of that biome is Janoa and then To'resk. We're looking for great people of any and all tribes to help make this vision a reality. A wealthy, adventurous, fun place to roleplay, master your craft, work towards the legendary and set out for adventure!

The primary focus of Briva will be on mercantilism, ship building, sailing, banking, fishing, exploration, and trade. However, wealth draws wealth. All trades are going to rely on the products and efforts of others.

To that end, people of all interests are welcome.

NA-W server

Kingdom of Riftwood discord

Duchy of Atravana discord

Town of Briva and County of Silverhaven Bay discord

Countess and Mayor: Sylvae

Duke: Kaleva

King: Stephan Balaur

4/17/2018 1:00:51 AM #1

No mention of me? This is worst trade deal in the history of trade deals. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

4/17/2018 3:56:25 AM #2

Awesome write up! I love the RP feel :)

5/10/2018 12:58:38 AM #3

I really enjoyed your town write up, Sylvae. Briva sounds like a lovely place. :)

5/21/2018 7:47:43 PM #4

Thanks, Aerbax and Hieronymus! Updated with the new town discord information.

8/4/2018 1:06:05 AM #5

Sounds like a quaint place for a getaway. Perhaps I will have to alt in for a visit after I'm done fanning the flames over on east, Selene promises to be trying and I will need a good vacation spot.

8/16/2018 3:08:50 AM #6

You'll have a trading partner in me for some of those textiles.

8/22/2018 7:19:00 AM #7

Came here to check out Briva at Sylvae's suggestion.

How many people are committed to Briva so far? What professions are they thinking of? Just trying to get a feel for the demographics.

8/23/2018 1:48:37 AM #8

Posted By Morgion at 03:19 AM - Wed Aug 22 2018

Came here to check out Briva at Sylvae's suggestion.

How many people are committed to Briva so far? What professions are they thinking of? Just trying to get a feel for the demographics.

Hi Morgion. Thanks for visiting my discord. Your questions, of course, were answered there. But for the other visitors,

We have a small population yet who are largely interested in crafting.

3/5/2020 4:23:35 AM #9

did a bit of a quick n dirty update to reflect the long overdue final biome selection and shift in focus.