COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
I have a concern about my pets.

I like to buy pets. I know some people who already have them bought in microshop, more power to them. I like to breed otterbears, just because they are mounts, they can swim and can pull a barge. The fact that they are cute is a bonus. I also buy them the help to invest in this wonderful game. It is great to be part of this community, and I am sure you're all nice people here in the forum.

My question is this: What protects my investment in this game. What stops my animals from being slaughtered by some random troll while my character is OPC? I know that there is a justice system, but that doesn't protect my animals and my boat. I don't care if the culprit goes to jail, my animals are still dead and my boat may be damaged or even destroyed in the process. There is no way to get my money back so I can buy a new otterbear or barge. I may have transports from one county to the other and get robbed, but that is okay. It's part of the PvP game, and believe my, I love it. But I paid real money for the wagon and the horses. I may say "Take my money!" to Caspian, but I don't want to say the same to every random gamer.

There really should be a way to protect my investment in this game. Until than I stick to the bare minimum to play this game as I want.

I post this here, because I think that the "have nots" will not share my concern. They will probably be completely in love with this sandbox system. They have nothing to lose.

And please don't tell me to buy protection for my pets and animal stock. The random passer by may just dive in and see my pets as a source of food, and see the protection it has as a challenge. Everybody loves challenges. Plus they may carry stuff he wants. A bonus. :)

All I can do until now is see the culprit as my mortal enemy and attack him every time I see him/her. That will not do. I know from other games that a criminal system doesn't stop a killer. I have a certain amount of animals, and I paid for them.

5/23/2018 9:03:14 AM #1

Nothing is stopping someone killing them. If you're worried about pets being randomly attacked, perhaps you should see if you can get a guard.

Keep pets in house, if they enter its trespassing. Make sure to have a fence. Most random people wont bother killing a pet if it requires a lot of effort. And if they absolutely hate you, well, Nothing is stopping them from killing you and your pets.

Eliminate easy opportunities.

If you want to be my lover, you gotta get with my friend code: 926EE6

5/23/2018 9:05:20 AM #2

This is something my mate and I have been discussing for a long time now. Both of us wanting to focus on farming/animal breeding. Knowing anyone from a hostile group/kingdom etc. Could just come in and murder everything all in one big go. Now even if that person lost half their soul. It could take me months to even get back to where I was.

I really can't see any punishment stopping people from doing this. While it also seems like the perfect way to troll someone into the ground. Unless I have to put one giant wall around the whole area to stop this from happening.

My view isn't so much about money though, just the time I would lose. I also have really no suggestions how to fix either problem. Seems like animal breeders have to worry more than the average person.

5/23/2018 9:13:30 AM #3

Posted By Ithikari at 11:03 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Nothing is stopping someone killing them. If you're worried about pets being randomly attacked, perhaps you should see if you can get a guard.

Keep pets in house, if they enter its trespassing. Make sure to have a fence. Most random people wont bother killing a pet if it requires a lot of effort. And if they absolutely hate you, well, Nothing is stopping them from killing you and your pets.

Otterbears in my house. That would be fun. And surrounding myself with a big wall doesn't exactly seems fun either.

5/23/2018 9:19:25 AM #4

Posted By Ilyria at 6:43 PM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Ithikari at 11:03 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Otterbears in my house. That would be fun. And surrounding myself with a big wall doesn't exactly seems fun either.

Otterbears aren't a weak animal. I would entertain the idea of some random person attempting to kill it.

5/23/2018 9:21:29 AM #5

Posted By Ithikari at 11:19 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Otterbears aren't a weak animal. I would entertain the idea of some random person attempting to kill it.

Where can I find the specs?

I don't believe they are fighters.

5/23/2018 9:24:51 AM #6

Posted By Ilyria at 6:51 PM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Ithikari at 11:19 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Where can I find the specs?

I don't believe they are fighters.

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Otter_Bear

5/23/2018 9:32:13 AM #7

Posted By Ithikari at 11:24 AM - Wed May 23 2018

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Otter_Bear

Once they are behind a fence, and that is what breeders do, they are in no state to defend themselves. Bow and arrow loves animals behind fences. Unless the fence is a giant wall. I don't think high walls are aesthetically pleasing for a farm. It's not very inviting for people who want to settle in your town.

5/23/2018 9:38:24 AM #8

Anyway, the otterbear is just an example. I may want to buy foxelots to to protect my farms from pests.

5/23/2018 9:40:54 AM #9

Chances are the otterbear being attacked will rip through the fence and still kill the person attacking.

Not something I'm really worried about seeing as the person still has to go out and get a bow and arrows and I don't see people putting that effort in just to randomly attempt to kill someone else animal unless you've pissed them off directly or indirectly.

I'd be more worried about raiders.

For Foxcelots and stuff you'll want a fence around your crops regardless. And I'd love to see people try and shoot them with a bow with no skill.

5/23/2018 9:46:56 AM #10

Good point Ilyria, I also wondered this myself.

One thing to note, it won't be as easy to destroy buildings, so my guess would be boats, wagons and other stuff also won't be as easily destroyed, I imagine even if someone would try to set them on fire, you could notice it beforehand and put fire out before it does any serious damage.

Animals however may be a bit tricky, let's say I took all measures to secure them - I have a fence around them, anyone besides me and few other people are trespassers, if you are in business of breeding pets, you will most likely end up with many of them, and it depends if you have large enough barn to secure all of them for the night, most likely not. So what does stop some griefer hopping over the fence at night (let's be real hiring guards to guard farms is an overkill) stabbing animals and killing all of my livestock, ruining my business, sure the next day he will be convicted as criminal, loose some spark, but that doesn't fix anything for me.

Now, I'm not saying there should be some protection extended on animals where they are unkillable, there should be always possibility of people killing or stealing them, but if it's easily done it just ruins experience for one party where person won't even bother trying to make something work

5/23/2018 9:50:33 AM #11

Posted By Ithikari at 11:40 AM - Wed May 23 2018

For Foxcelots and stuff you'll want a fence around your crops regardless. And I'd love to see people try and shoot them with a bow with no skill.

How about breeding horses? Are you really against some protection for the things you have bought in the microshop?

5/23/2018 9:59:18 AM #12

Posted By Ilyria at 7:20 PM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Ithikari at 11:40 AM - Wed May 23 2018

How about breeding horses? Are you really against some protection for the things you have bought in the microshop?

I don't want my animals to have some divine protection and I don't want others to have divine protection just because I paid real money. It's clearly listed that animals in packages can grow old, die or be killed. If people can't be bothered protecting their animals properly and providing security it's their fault if their animals die due to a random person wanting to randomly kill stuff.

5/23/2018 12:36:00 PM #13

People can kill you, take/burn all your stuff, steal your land, kill your pets... sorry that's just the way it is. Hopefully doing all that would take enough time to rally the guard to stop them, but that also means if you want help you should build close to or inside of town. This is a game that stresses mutual defense, not everyone standing around watching while their neighbor gets griefed.

5/23/2018 12:58:00 PM #14

Posted By Dekul at 1:36 PM - Wed May 23 2018

This is a game that stresses mutual defense, not everyone standing around watching while their neighbor gets griefed.

Absofrikinlutely. :)

Friend & Conquest Code: 6B3A23

5/23/2018 1:07:17 PM #15

Posted By Dekul at 2:36 PM - Wed May 23 2018

People can kill you, take/burn all your stuff, steal your land, kill your pets... sorry that's just the way it is. Hopefully doing all that would take enough time to rally the guard to stop them, but that also means if you want help you should build close to or inside of town. This is a game that stresses mutual defense, not everyone standing around watching while their neighbor gets griefed.

I think you are not getting the point here. The concern as I see it is someone losing months of work to a troll vs said troll just losing a little bit of spark (a couple of days to a week at most) and that is IF said troll is even caught. The concern is that if this becomes rampant people will start quitting the game and CoE will wither and die as only grievers remain who will then fall upon each other due to lack of other players to harass. This game's justice system needs to became much more harsher than just giving people a slap on the wrist when they do something illegal.