COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
I have a concern about my pets.

I like to buy pets. I know some people who already have them bought in microshop, more power to them. I like to breed otterbears, just because they are mounts, they can swim and can pull a barge. The fact that they are cute is a bonus. I also buy them the help to invest in this wonderful game. It is great to be part of this community, and I am sure you're all nice people here in the forum.

My question is this: What protects my investment in this game. What stops my animals from being slaughtered by some random troll while my character is OPC? I know that there is a justice system, but that doesn't protect my animals and my boat. I don't care if the culprit goes to jail, my animals are still dead and my boat may be damaged or even destroyed in the process. There is no way to get my money back so I can buy a new otterbear or barge. I may have transports from one county to the other and get robbed, but that is okay. It's part of the PvP game, and believe my, I love it. But I paid real money for the wagon and the horses. I may say "Take my money!" to Caspian, but I don't want to say the same to every random gamer.

There really should be a way to protect my investment in this game. Until than I stick to the bare minimum to play this game as I want.

I post this here, because I think that the "have nots" will not share my concern. They will probably be completely in love with this sandbox system. They have nothing to lose.

And please don't tell me to buy protection for my pets and animal stock. The random passer by may just dive in and see my pets as a source of food, and see the protection it has as a challenge. Everybody loves challenges. Plus they may carry stuff he wants. A bonus. :)

All I can do until now is see the culprit as my mortal enemy and attack him every time I see him/her. That will not do. I know from other games that a criminal system doesn't stop a killer. I have a certain amount of animals, and I paid for them.

12/13/2018 4:07:38 AM #61

Posted By Kambien at 09:23 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Wolffje at 09:17 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Ilyria at 4:13 PM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Esoba at 4:10 PM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Wolffje at 10:06 AM - Wed May 23 2018

If I hang a griever under the current system he/she loses a few days on his/her spark and then just re-spawns and is able to run back to his/her body, collect most of their gear and go off merrily to find the next person to grief. That is not justice, that is more like getting 72 hours of community service after doing an armed robbery with an AK47.

Completely agree. I would love for leaders to have a wide latitude for punishment. I can see how that can also be used negatively, but I prefer that chance over the certainty of people griefing just because they don't have much in the way of punishment.

A noble is always worst off when dealing with grievers. Either in money, soul time, time spent in this game.

Hence we need to be able to execute a capital punishment. AI is pretty advanced these days so I am pretty sure you could have the Soulbound Engine track all their activities and at some point force a permadeath on a griever when he/she is caught and executed. The blacker your karma, the more spark you lose to a point of losing it entirely.

I would support a Soul Karma system with steadily increasing risk. It would be nice if there was also a system to earn a spark for pro-social behavior (balanced so that the game still makes money). Though that may be more difficult to code.

It is possible for those executing the punishments to keep continuous records, and to execute a prisoner repeatedly based on the severity and frequency of past crimes. Assuming they have to walk back to their body, their body will still be in custody.

So from what I understand you want the heroes to lack content because there'd be less criminals out of fear of losing a significant amount of time for robbing something like a coffee shop, to me somebody shouldn't lose a month for robbing all the coffee shops unless a "good guy" can get penalized in different ways from doing good acts that are as impactful as the bad ones . I don't think that would be a good decision for a story perspective. The point of this game isn't only to be the good guy. It's can also be about being the bad guy. If punishments are too severe than people who decide to be bounty hunters, guards, or adventurers would have less content to enjoy. If somebody goes through the trouble to kill your pets after you've gone through all the right measures probably isn't doing it randomly, if somebody is randomly killing your pets then it's from utilizing the power they spent time to gain. If you've got a major issue put a significant bounty for their head to attract bounty hunters or hire a guild to kill them. I want equal grounds for everything, not one sided gameplay.

(My friend code is 5D39A6)

12/13/2018 4:14:52 AM #62

Posted By Ilyria at 10:00 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Esoba at 4:54 PM - Wed May 23 2018

If you read back on my posts you can see that is exactly what I have been doing. But Dukes need to have better tools for removing grievers from society on a more permanent basis. Right now you can punish a griever, he/she loses a few days of spark and the griever then goes: "lol, screw you n00b, I have had my punishment and now I am off to roflstomp some more of your subjects". How is that justice?

Agree. It's not one or the other. A Duke should take responsibility, but that Duke should also have the tools to do their job in it's entirety. I'm not a Duke - nor do I want to be one - but I can imagine it would be frustrating to reimburse your folks and yet not be able to actually inflict much of a punishment on the perpetrators.

There should be a tool to make someone an enemy of the state. Once you enter a Kingdom, all NPC, OPC and all in between will attack you. That way grievers will run out of options fast, and we don't have to worry about manpower having to run the Kingdom up and down.

If you really want to stop grievers than, if you can capture them, lock them inside a hidden dungeon. You can become a vigilante to protect your things you know? This has happened plenty in real life, When somebody feels that the punishment for a crime isn't significant enough then they take justice into their own hands. You can do the same too if you're so worried about the punishments not being severe enough.

(My friend code is 5D39A6)

12/13/2018 4:16:27 AM #63

Posted By Wolffje at 09:07 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Dekul at 2:36 PM - Wed May 23 2018

People can kill you, take/burn all your stuff, steal your land, kill your pets... sorry that's just the way it is. Hopefully doing all that would take enough time to rally the guard to stop them, but that also means if you want help you should build close to or inside of town. This is a game that stresses mutual defense, not everyone standing around watching while their neighbor gets griefed.

I think you are not getting the point here. The concern as I see it is someone losing months of work to a troll vs said troll just losing a little bit of spark (a couple of days to a week at most) and that is IF said troll is even caught. The concern is that if this becomes rampant people will start quitting the game and CoE will wither and die as only grievers remain who will then fall upon each other due to lack of other players to harass. This game's justice system needs to became much more harsher than just giving people a slap on the wrist when they do something illegal.

People are to hard core about this game to quit due to trolls. I have faith in this fan base.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

12/13/2018 5:21:13 AM #64

I didn't read all the comments, so forgive me if I repeat anything. First off, reputation seems like its going to be a big thing in this game. If you're an established rancher and you loose your stock, then perhaps you'll be well known enough that a bank or guild will give you a loan to help you rebuild what you lost. From everything I've seen, I'm guessing that reputation may be a lot more useful in this game than in some others. Second,l oosing your pets, crops, shipments of supplies or whatever does seem like a major setback for a character, but I think it's important to remember that this game isn't just about one character you play as. A large part of this game is about the legacy that your characters build! So if your character looses his pets, what then? perhaps they have established themselves enough by then that they can get a loan from a bank or a guild to start over again, or perhaps the start over raising new stock (trison for example), or maybe they can't restart their farm at all and have to sell everything, so they dedicate their lives to being a bounty hunter and taking down criminals like the ones who ruined them! Or maybe they even sink as low as becoming criminals themselves and thus start a notorious gang. Yes it's real money you loose, and it sucks looking it, but it doesn't mean game over. It may just mean that now you have to explore a new aspect of the game and give your heirs a different heritage that what you had originally planned.

12/13/2018 7:48:21 AM #65

As a person who has around 3k+ hours on Ark (PvP servers) with a solid focus on PvP Defence + Breeding, I get your concerns OP.

Now, correct me if i'm wrong but I feel the first part of expo there is no PvP allowed, which will be around (could be wrong) a month?. I feel that is a great amount of time to really build your defenses, get breeding going, established relationships within your towns or other towns, build up funds and hire guards. You also would have had beta (I assume) at least to get some sort of game play/strat ready.

This WILL happen, people will come and kill all your stock, maybe even wipe out everything you have. You should be afraid of it, you should dread it and you should plan for it.

When this game launches a lot of people will come to stream and they will be looking to entertain their viewers. The easiest way is killing people/robbing etc. It was HUGE when Ark came out.

Never rely on AI to defend you, AI in any game I've played is terrible and non functional. Plan for AI to fail. If your plan is "rely on AI" as people have suggested, then you need to think of another plan.

Once again, this WILL happen. Make the decision if animal breeding is for you as nobody who is a griefer/solid pvper cares about the "punishment system". Who cares?. It won't work nobody will care as the streamer will only be around for a few months before he gets bored and moves on and the damage is done.

12/13/2018 9:02:44 AM #66

Well, I hope that fences give some protection.

12/13/2018 1:03:06 PM #67

There's always a phoenix if you're a kickstarter backer. If it dies it comes back :)

12/13/2018 4:12:01 PM #68

Ilyria,

I haven't read all 5 pages so ignore me if someone has already mentioned this, but a stable would solve your problem. A closed stable keeps arrows/people out, centralizes your investments, and provides protection while you are offline. If you really have a lot of animals, you'll want at least a stablemaster and possibly a few stable hands. These are 24/7 guards to call the townwatch if a troll comes knocking. A stable is also easy to have the town watch patrol by since livestock is high value. All in all, a manned stable provides protection and guards for your investment (and since there is a stable for sale sometimes in the store it allows you to invest a little more in the game you want to support).

12/13/2018 9:35:56 PM #69

Like I said, this is an old topic, long forgotten.

12/13/2018 9:59:43 PM #70

While we don't know a lot about pet mechanics, but I believe it's been mentioned that all animals have a life expectancy and can not only die from players but age themselves with a finite life.

It would be cool if animals, or at least player owned animals, worked like player characters in that one death or one "down" isn't necessarily the end of the animal's life. For instance, there would be a certain amount of times the animal could be "downed", to prevent players just going around killing them all.

Additionally, to piggyback on what others have said, I'm sure most animals will defend themselves. In RL, a horse isn't just going to let you hurt it - you might get a hoof to the face and I wouldn't be surprised if Elyrian transport animals are just as deadly with their powerful legs and massive bodies. I think there will be very few, if any, animals that won't fight back when attacked by other animals or players.

12/13/2018 10:07:34 PM #71

Posted By Gunnlang at 02:05 AM - Wed May 23 2018

This is something my mate and I have been discussing for a long time now. Both of us wanting to focus on farming/animal breeding. Knowing anyone from a hostile group/kingdom etc. Could just come in and murder everything all in one big go. Now even if that person lost half their soul. It could take me months to even get back to where I was.

I really can't see any punishment stopping people from doing this. While it also seems like the perfect way to troll someone into the ground. Unless I have to put one giant wall around the whole area to stop this from happening.

My view isn't so much about money though, just the time I would lose. I also have really no suggestions how to fix either problem. Seems like animal breeders have to worry more than the average person.

"My mate"

mY MaTe

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

12/14/2018 4:40:21 AM #72

What ideas do you have to protect your animals from harm?

Starting location could be one such way to decrease your likelihood of being a victim of bandits, rival breeders or a hostile kingdom.

Those in the grasslands shrub steppe and generally in the flat middle part of the map are going to have more traffic. People need to cross that area to get from north to south or east to west.

Those who weren't thoughtful and innovative enough to reduce the likelihood of having their animals killed should see the consequences of that.

In LIF those who built poorly designed castles were not punished as there are mechanics and limitations which protect the defenceless fortification.

12/14/2018 5:24:07 AM #73

Posted By odd fella at 12:40 PM - Fri Dec 14 2018

Those who weren't thoughtful and innovative enough to reduce the likelihood of having their animals killed should see the consequences of that.

And likewise those people who want to commit in game crimes should fear to punishment, so it takes real skill to commit a crime, not just a desire for random acts of destruction

12/15/2018 7:55:51 AM #74

I agree. The risk of reputation loss, death or imprisonment should be enough to reduce the number of folks who wanna commit hostile acts for fun.

However, ontop of that I have a slight suspicion devs will introduce mechanics and limitations to also prevent what they term "griefing".

For example, setting farm fields and animal barns alight is a tactic that can be used in war as well as by griefers. But this won't be a feature in the game so therefore there's no need to be careful with your building plans and placements to factor in that threat. There's no need to build the extra watchtowers and increase your militia force or hire more watchguards as threats such as this won't exist.

I'm very interested to find out whether COE will go down the well worn path of controlling the potential threats and hostile acts.

12/16/2018 3:48:13 AM #75

Posted By odd fella at 02:55 AM - Sat Dec 15 2018

I agree. The risk of reputation loss, death or imprisonment should be enough to reduce the number of folks who wanna commit hostile acts for fun.

However, ontop of that I have a slight suspicion devs will introduce mechanics and limitations to also prevent what they term "griefing".

For example, setting farm fields and animal barns alight is a tactic that can be used in war as well as by griefers. But this won't be a feature in the game so therefore there's no need to be careful with your building plans and placements to factor in that threat. There's no need to build the extra watchtowers and increase your militia force or hire more watchguards as threats such as this won't exist.

I'm very interested to find out whether COE will go down the well worn path of controlling the potential threats and hostile acts.

As to the above point, bandits may not be able to destroy your buildings by setting them on fire but an invading army can. They will need siege engines to do it and it will take time but actual armies will be able to destroy buildings.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.