COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
pregnancy problems?

i'm not going to be playing a female but im wondering. when a female character gets pregnant will there be any debuffs? will it even appear on your character or would it simply be getting pregnant one day, giving birth the next? seeing how the nine month period, if they're going off of human time, would fall into 2/3 seasons/earth days i'd like to imagine that it would have some effect. would be interesting for RP and give a penalty so that the rich and powerful don't spit out a few dozen kids

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

5/29/2018 12:07:41 PM #1

As far as I can remember the studio stated that there wouldnt be any debuffs for females being pregnant.

Dont know the exact mechanic behind it. But you have to sign a child contract between a male and female character. This way the children will be "created". There probally is someone with the correct source, cant find it at this moment. The source also stated how new children are spawned in the world

5/29/2018 12:16:49 PM #2

There is no pregnancy represented in game.

As Leiywen stated child birth is through contracts. You sign the contract you get the child. There will likely then be a debuff on both parties that will not allow them to sign another child contract for a period of time but has no other effects.

Basically pregnancy is not fun and overly penalties part of the player base. It just doesn't make sense for them to include it when there are other more friendly ways to get the same effect.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

5/29/2018 1:32:07 PM #3

Even if they did include a pregnancy mechanic, women don't stop functioning the moment they become pregnant. Most women don't even know they are pregnant till they miss their period.

Pregnant women are able to perform normal every day functions up to the early third trimester. Prior to this they can function quite normally, but over exertion may risk a miscarriage. Depending on certain factors relating to the mother, and extenuating risk issues they can continue to perform normally right up till birth. Recovery depends a lot on the difficulty of the labor, but is generally only a few days.

Given the lifespan of a person in Elyria is about 6 months of our time, any period of penalty would be relatively brief. Also the tribes of mann are different then humans, and may have any number of different strengths/weaknesses. They may be able to carry children and give birth with fewer risks and limits of functioning.

I plan to play a female, and I wish they would include some form of pregnancy, as long as they don't make it absurdly penalizing.

5/29/2018 1:52:42 PM #4

The lifespan of an Elyrian will be around a year our time, I'd they don't receive any spirit loss. Each real life week is an in game year, so around a 50 year playable lifespan. And if I remember correctly, the cooldown on child contracts is one week. That's a lot of babies, assuming you have rooms for them.

⛵️❓💰

5/29/2018 1:55:52 PM #5

Maybe I am biased, actually scrap that I am horrifically biased. Pregnancy, however long they make it last, does not add anything enjoyable to the game and only penalises one gender making that gender less likely to be played further encouraging a likely unbalance that will already be present in the player community.

As you said “They may be able to carry children and give birth with fewer risks and limits of functioning.” let’s just assume this is true and there are in fact no risks and no limits of function and keep the mechanic as it has currently been proposed.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

5/29/2018 2:00:40 PM #6

Male and female are created equal in Elyria, there is no downsides/debuffs to play them except outside of tribal limitations. As the others said, there will be a "cooldown" period for having children, it takes one Elyrian year (one real life week) to get a child, and another year where both parties involved in the contract won't be able to sign another one until the time is up. Characters will not be able to have kids pass the age of 45 (if this hasn't changed recently).

(10-30-16) (click for a bigger viewing)

5/29/2018 3:26:56 PM #7

@Xeyska Thanks! I'm not the OP, but I was looking for this info :).

6/12/2018 11:37:25 AM #8

thanks for all the information. this really clears things up

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

10/3/2018 3:54:07 PM #9

I'm disappointed to learn there won't be a portrayal of pregnancy. For me, the realism aspect of the game is what enticed me so just having a kid appear after signing a contract takes away a lot of what I was hoping to have to navigate.

Edit: Although, I guess it's something we can just roleplay before signing a contract.

Pacyen is a Virtue.

Friend Code: 4ACB46

Lady Iola Berankin, Countess of Roeking

[EU - Demalion Empire / Duchy of Anor / Roeking County]

~Anorian Maiden~

10/3/2018 4:41:46 PM #10

That is a bit of a shame. I would have appreciated even a single day of pregnancy time for a bit more realism.

10/3/2018 4:47:37 PM #11

Posted By Corvidius Blackmore at 09:41 AM - Wed Oct 03 2018

That is a bit of a shame. I would have appreciated even a single day of pregnancy time for a bit more realism.

If we had realism here, we would have a very high mortality rate in childbirth, often in the first birth, which would make female PCs very hard to play and very unreliable in terms of descendants.

I think the Devs have made a very good choice here based on the idea that this game involves playing a bloodline, not merely a character. Because that is central to the game, realism that undermines or imbalances bloodlines should be avoided if possible.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

10/4/2018 7:47:25 AM #12

Reasonable realism. Showing the pregnancy for a short time and scuppering any fatal side effects. The showing of a pregnancy adds to the realism factor but obviously, nobody wants exactly the same experience in-game.

It's a terrible argument to say no to something by flying to the opposite extreme. If a character in-game went through a pregnancy for, say, three Elyrian days then they would not be overly inconvenienced.

If the problem has to do with certificate ratings in some countries or difficulty with the actual mechanics then okay, I understand. But it just isn't true about there not being a way to accomplish this fairly for female characters.

As for the main topic, if they are ever considering visible pregnancy, I'd suggest they avoid buffs or debuffs for exactly this reason.

Pacyen is a Virtue.

Friend Code: 4ACB46

Lady Iola Berankin, Countess of Roeking

[EU - Demalion Empire / Duchy of Anor / Roeking County]

~Anorian Maiden~

10/4/2018 8:31:51 AM #13

Posted By Nyx_Bean at 12:47 AM - Thu Oct 04 2018

It's a terrible argument to say no to something by flying to the opposite extreme. If a character in-game went through a pregnancy for, say, three Elyrian days then they would not be overly inconvenienced.

I agree with this to an extent. The realism factor you're considering is our own reality, outside of Elyria. We do not have the Akashic Records that we know of, in our world. I believe the team has incorporated their described mechanics of child birth in a very safe, all-age friendly and socially acceptable manner. This is the reality in this world, there are still handfuls of ways to roleplay the scenario to your suiting.

Having visible signs of pregnancy would be neat, but then there's the entire "realism" argument of negative things happening during pregnancy. Your OPC reaches any stage of 'death'. You accidentally fall off a cliff. What happens then? Whole new can with endless arguments and theory of mechanics. Plus, consider all of the individuals in the world. Would this mechanic be worth the resources, and have a safer fit for the whole player base than the current design? So, not jumping to opposite extremes. Meeting in a safe middle for all players.

10/4/2018 1:43:19 PM #14

Altho a visible belly would be fun, I can understand the complications of it, so I am just going to fatten up my pregnant characters and excuse myself to go to the toilet a lot before child contract is compleated..

1/7/2019 11:33:04 PM #15

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 2:16 PM - Tue May 29 2018

There is no pregnancy represented in game.

As Leiywen stated child birth is through contracts. You sign the contract you get the child. There will likely then be a debuff on both parties that will not allow them to sign another child contract for a period of time but has no other effects.

So you're telling me i just sign a contract and then get a child? No sex involved? No action or visual representation of making a baby?...Lame. Way to be realistic SBS ~_~

Steel and Blood forges the best weapons.