COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
pregnancy problems?

i'm not going to be playing a female but im wondering. when a female character gets pregnant will there be any debuffs? will it even appear on your character or would it simply be getting pregnant one day, giving birth the next? seeing how the nine month period, if they're going off of human time, would fall into 2/3 seasons/earth days i'd like to imagine that it would have some effect. would be interesting for RP and give a penalty so that the rich and powerful don't spit out a few dozen kids

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

1/8/2019 12:47:51 AM #16

Posted By GonnaBeABlacksmith at 4:33 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 2:16 PM - Tue May 29 2018

There is no pregnancy represented in game.

As Leiywen stated child birth is through contracts. You sign the contract you get the child. There will likely then be a debuff on both parties that will not allow them to sign another child contract for a period of time but has no other effects.

So you're telling me i just sign a contract and then get a child? No sex involved? No action or visual representation of making a baby?...Lame. Way to be realistic SBS ~_~

Yes. To keep the game available to all there is nothing like that. It is a baby contract and that is it. There is absolutely no need for additional mechanics like that, and definitely not needed if it conflicts with some countries and laws making CoE unavailable there

1/8/2019 1:40:03 AM #17

I believe I heard somewhere that SBS was debating even letting children under the age of 4 (or so) run around, so not only will your child pop out immediately, you might not have to care for an infant. I wish I could find where I saw that though.

1/8/2019 4:13:11 AM #18

Honestly I'm glad there isn't pregnancy or penalties in the game. If there were I imagine there would be less female characters because they wouldn't want to be held back when the men can roam around.

2/21/2019 5:13:41 PM #19

This seems a middle ground. People who want visible pregnancy for realism can't reasonably argue against debuffs and penalties for it. It certainly doesn't stop a woman cold, but this is a medieval type society, so as others have said, mortality rate would be high. Miscarriages would be high. That would be realism. Why contain pregnancy "for realism" but not contain the pitfalls that reality brings?

And while it's only like a week of game time, that is per child. And since a character only has a limited amount of game time, that week (or multiple weeks if multiple kids) could very well force female characters to be out of action disproportionately.

It would be realistic, but I wouldn't play a female character if it forced my already limited game time (compared with other games) to be spent in limited capacity. And again, if it's really about realism, then females get penalized.

We get the pregnancy debuff in real life, we don't need it in game. I am glad I can play female without having to invest more energy just to survive than male characters.

reptiles are misunderstood and unforgiven ~ unknown

2/21/2019 8:43:37 PM #20

Just for fun, it doesn't have to be all debuffs. You could have a boost to whatever stats that makes npcs more agreeable. Most people don't really want to argue with a pregnant woman. Maybe a town wide buff that gives happiness or something else depending on the tribe. Daily you character get a craving for a certain food, if you eat that food you could get some type of buff. Have a mood swing buffs that doubles one stat for while and then halves that same stat after the buff runs out for the same amount of time.

None of this is planned but they could make pregnancy some what fun and impactful. The fighting and ganking is where it gets really dark and uncomfortable though.

2/21/2019 10:20:38 PM #21

Posted By Deftly at 12:43 PM - Thu Feb 21 2019

Just for fun, it doesn't have to be all debuffs. You could have a boost to whatever stats that makes npcs more agreeable. Most people don't really want to argue with a pregnant woman. Maybe a town wide buff that gives happiness or something else depending on the tribe. Daily you character get a craving for a certain food, if you eat that food you could get some type of buff. Have a mood swing buffs that doubles one stat for while and then halves that same stat after the buff runs out for the same amount of time.

None of this is planned but they could make pregnancy some what fun and impactful. The fighting and ganking is where it gets really dark and uncomfortable though.

They'd have to apply the buffs/debuffs to both menn and womenn, like they do with the current week cooldown.

2/22/2019 12:01:10 AM #22

I must admit, it would be kinda funny to walk up to an NPC and ask when they are due only to be slapped or abused because they are not pregnant :)

3/30/2019 9:39:29 PM #23

So I ended up coming back to this post with some questions.

1. When making a child contract, where does the child go? Does it automatically get housed at your home location, with the other parent? Can it travel with you?

2. Does the birthplace take any consideration? If you're orginally from a Northern biome and you make a child contract in a southern biome, does that do anything? When you spark into your child, do you start at the new location or your home?

3/30/2019 10:20:08 PM #24

Posted By Ogarra at 2:39 PM - Sat Mar 30 2019

So I ended up coming back to this post with some questions.

1. When making a child contract, where does the child go? Does it automatically get housed at your home location, with the other parent? Can it travel with you?

2. Does the birthplace take any consideration? If you're orginally from a Northern biome and you make a child contract in a southern biome, does that do anything? When you spark into your child, do you start at the new location or your home?

These answers are supposition:

1. If the contract is between husband and wife, then the child probably lives with its parents. If the child is a negotiating tool between families then it probably lives with the "dominant" parent is according to the contract. Can you take it with you when you relocate your family from one town to another? Probably. Can you get it to tag along outside of town on your adventures? Not sure, but I'm going with probably not.

2. The particular tribe of Mann that the parents belong to affect what "natural abilities" it may get, along with physical characteristics. My assumption is you spawn into wherever the child is, so make sure its at your home.

Again though, these are just my best educated guesses.

Three aberrations that have plagued gamers from the beginning: The Lag Monster, the Mistell Maven and the Typo-Daemon. Their actions have to led to laughter, anger and tears since the beginning of the Internet.

3/30/2019 11:04:21 PM #25

Posted By taijhin at 12:13 PM - Thu Feb 21 2019

This seems a middle ground. People who want visible pregnancy for realism can't reasonably argue against debuffs and penalties for it. It certainly doesn't stop a woman cold, but this is a medieval type society, so as others have said, mortality rate would be high. Miscarriages would be high. That would be realism. Why contain pregnancy "for realism" but not contain the pitfalls that reality brings?

And while it's only like a week of game time, that is per child. And since a character only has a limited amount of game time, that week (or multiple weeks if multiple kids) could very well force female characters to be out of action disproportionately.

It would be realistic, but I wouldn't play a female character if it forced my already limited game time (compared with other games) to be spent in limited capacity. And again, if it's really about realism, then females get penalized.

We get the pregnancy debuff in real life, we don't need it in game. I am glad I can play female without having to invest more energy just to survive than male characters.

Disclaimer: I really don't care what they do with pregnancy

That being said your argument doesn't hold true to anything said so far. Why? Because I have not seen a single person who wants a partially realistic pregnancy advocate for having pregnancy debuffs/penalties (those that coincide with realistic pregnancy).

This is a low-mid fantasy game, meaning there are many elements to this game that are unrealistic (if not all), keeping that in mind it is reasonable to say if they implemented pregnancy it more than likely can be implemented unrealistically (as it stands now). Due to that fact, your example of why implementing realistic pregnancy would be bad, is a fallacy in of itself (since no one want it, and even if they did it would never be implemented realistically just like how everything in Elyria is unrealistic).

There are many good suggestions for and against implementing pregnancy without having to regard the realism of it.

3/31/2019 3:32:02 AM #26

@Ogarra

In regard to your first question, a requirement for creating a child contract is that you must have a room for it to live in first, belonging to whichever parent claims the child. So that's where it would go.

As for your second question, you can't spark into them until they are teenagers.

3/31/2019 7:43:22 AM #27

@Pieoflords,

I have a warning for you. If you want to play as one of your original character's descendants, you might not be able to avoid playing as a female.

3/31/2019 1:01:58 PM #28

@Ravenlute

Thank you :) I did not know that about the rooms.

4/2/2019 11:39:51 AM #29

I get the discussion about penalties that come with pregnancy. But what about a visual option in settings or a cosmetic effect maybe even used outside pregnancy just for the sake of roleplay. Maybe that's just a minority of the playerbase who's interested in something like that.

I'm just throwing it out there, dunno if it's been mentioned.

Fimbulheim

4/2/2019 12:55:26 PM #30

The problem is getting into the reality of "killing" a pregnant or appearingly pregnant woman and the global laws that go against such things.

It is the same reason they are having a hard time on whether having kids in game and what to do with them when a group of raiders burn a village to the ground.

Showing kids getting killed in any fashion is going to get the game banned from some country. Which the devs have clearly stated they don't want that to happen if they can absolutely help it.