COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Dealing with Bodies (and other oddities)

As we all know, each tribe has different cultural and geographic backgrounds which will probably play into the way they each deal with bodies.

My first question is if say a character wanted to be cremated, would they have to be placed onto a pyre or would you be able to burn them in a oven.

M̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶ q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶a̶ c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶ e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ p̶e̶r̶m̶a̶d̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ i̶t̶'̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ s̶h̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ s̶p̶i̶r̶i̶t̶w̶a̶l̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ b̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶6̶ f̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ e̶a̶r̶t̶h̶.̶

Posted By Fenrer at 10:58 PM - Wed Jul 18 2018

To my understanding you cant move a characters body very far unless they have suffered permadeath. (Maybe family can?) You can "spawn" a bit away from your body so you wont get griefed or insta die on the same thing that killed you before.

Posted By Protey at 01:16 AM - Thu Jul 19 2018

Sources: Can you move a corpse? If perma-dead, then yes. If CDG then no. 25 MAY 18 D-CCR

My thirds question is if graveyards (if any) will have separate zoning criteria than others or what they would be under (I.E. Commercial.)

My fourth and final question is if there is a graveyard in a town (with everything properly buried), would it have any neutral, negative or positive effects (I.E. Health, spooky stuff, etc.)

Thanks for looking at my thread, this is basically my first post and I know unless you're one of the developers you probably won't have the answers but it's worth discussing.

NA-W

7/19/2018 3:26:46 AM #1

That last question I would think now likely passive buffs

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

7/19/2018 3:43:24 AM #2

I can answer in part about the Dras via this thread, by the devs. The Dras wouldn't need to set aside a graveyard, just a building for their dead to dry and decay before their skeletons are taken out and bones engraved, which would likely be smaller than a graveyard, saving a lot of space depending on how tightly they're packed or if they're stacked in racks (that they wear the bones of their dead being a bit creepy aside, plus the Dras are immune to all known diseases, so they don't have to worry about that, though the poor Neran living nearby...). It would render the question of what happens to the place where the dead are left forever moot, though make the question of the effects of whatever happens in areas with lots of dead more interesting.

As to graveyards and morgues, I imagine they'd be government buildings/plots run by the mayors and councils, rather than commercial buildings/plots, because, at minimum, you'd want to control what happens to the dead to some extent (in order to avoid diseases and such), plus the cultural expectations that even the poor would want. Ignoring that would likely result in discontent among the populace.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

7/19/2018 4:58:13 AM #3

Hoping there will be pyres and burnings, graves and air drying cant be the only options with so many different tribes and religions.

To my understanding you cant move a characters body very far unless they have suffered permadeath. (Maybe family can?) You can "spawn" a bit away from your body so you wont get griefed or insta die on the same thing that killed you before.

Atleast family members should know if one of their own is dead or not, got some ability to help them find their way back from the spirit world and such things.

No clue about the rest, but i'd dare to say a properly tended graveyard could not be anything negative.

7/19/2018 7:16:24 AM #4

Sources:
Can you move a corpse? If perma-dead, then yes. If CDG then no. 25 MAY 18 D-CCR

:smiley: There's one exception. If you've given someone permission. Otherwise, you cannot move a body, but you can move a corpse.

Can you burn dead bodies? 23 FEB 16 V-BW

You definitely can, yes.

Since the world is persistent, how dead entities will be handled? Will they despawn after some time? Is there a threshold of maximum entities in the world? 15 NOV 17 D-SC

They rot and turn into skeleton if not buried or burned - if you're lucky.

7/19/2018 8:27:01 AM #5

Well, on the whole family and death thing, the wiki says

> >* Members can always sense that a family member has been slain and is Spirit Walking. >* Members can find their way to a family member's body.

among other things not relevant to this thread (unless family giving you a reason to live gives you more time to find your body after a CdG), so there's that at least.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

7/19/2018 2:48:14 PM #6

Dras are immune to all known diseases, so they don't have to worry about that, though the poor Neran living nearby...).

The problem of this is if they are far enough away from their cultural backgrounds say in the middle of a Neran city, the bodies would have to be moved extremely fast as to not spread any sickness to those who aren't as blessed with disease resistance as the Dras or Janoa. The racks could be outside the city but even than it'd have to be regulated so the building isn't leaking the rotting biproducts of the bodies. Another problem with this is what if some ways of traditional tribe deaths are no one specific, it might mean you have to transport the body to that place somehow.

As to graveyards and morgues, I imagine they'd be government buildings/plots run by the mayors and councils, rather than commercial buildings/plots

This is also valid because it could be that the gov't pays the undertaker or whoever deals with the bodies to dispose of them in a way befitting their tribe. The possibility though is that undertaking still could be a job in the private sector, because irl even in the Victorian era much of it was privately owned. I feel like maybe there could be a contract way of deciding what to place the plots as.

This also brings up the question, will you be able to create your own custom zones?

NA-W

7/19/2018 3:54:21 PM #7

Posted By Fenrer at 10:58 PM - Wed Jul 18 2018

Hoping there will be pyres and burnings, graves and air drying cant be the only options with so many different tribes and religions.

Me too friend, their are so many interesting death rituals in our real world it'd be a shame if a few of them didn't carry over.

This brings up the question on potential "holding rooms" for the spirit walking bodies to go to if near a city. I don't remember if the bodies get affected in any other way besides simply laying there but still, simply just a safer "spawn point".

NA-W

7/23/2018 4:28:06 AM #8

What the Dras do is a kind of sky burial, which was and is common in some RL cultures. In and of itself, it is not a threat to public health if the remains are kept on their platform. In the Tibetan form, which is evidently still practiced, the fleshy parts of the remains are eaten by vultures, which means the most dangerous parts of the remains do not stick around very long.

The only odious phenomenon in such burials that might offend Nerans, then, is the smell. For any settlement that does not have a sewage disposal system, that is a rather insignificant inconvenience. Similarly, if a settlement allows tanneries or slaughterhouses inside its walls, the smell of dead bodies will not stand out that much.

Most likely, Dras sky burial sites in cities would be enclosed behind some kind of barrier, specifically to discourage access to the site as a source of tannery (et al.) ingredients and a destination for foul-smelling offal which should be disposed of elsewhere.

7/23/2018 5:23:46 PM #9

Posted By Poldano at 10:28 PM - Sun Jul 22 2018

What the Dras do is a kind of sky burial, which was and is common in some RL cultures. In and of itself, it is not a threat to public health if the remains are kept on their platform. In the Tibetan form, which is evidently still practiced, the fleshy parts of the remains are eaten by vultures, which means the most dangerous parts of the remains do not stick around very long.

The only odious phenomenon in such burials that might offend Nerans, then, is the smell. For any settlement that does not have a sewage disposal system, that is a rather insignificant inconvenience. Similarly, if a settlement allows tanneries or slaughterhouses inside its walls, the smell of dead bodies will not stand out that much.

Most likely, Dras sky burial sites in cities would be enclosed behind some kind of barrier, specifically to discourage access to the site as a source of tannery (et al.) ingredients and a destination for foul-smelling offal which should be disposed of elsewhere.

Thank you for adding onto the thread, I was actually thinking about Tibetan death practices when I saw that the Dras left their bodies to nature.

Regarding the Tanneries and Slaughterhouses, it makes sense and I now realize that if the Dras use Mann Ivory to make jewellery could we potentially skin people and make furniture out of them. Another question is if harvesting bones will be a mechanic in the game.

NA-W