COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
The 88:1 Ingame:IRL day ratio

So, I'm trying to get my friends interested in the game, but as RPers, they are turned off by the steep time ratio in the game. They feel it will be impossible to set up the RP required to play out a good story that spans generations when every hour 3 and a half days have gone by. A single conversation could last days, and force people to cut out interactions because they need to move on with the story they want to tell. Every time you sleep IRL, a month will pass in game. I mean hell, going to the bathroom in the middle of exploration could take you a whole day of in game time.

I understand this game is very niche, and that the aging system is tied in with the monetization system, I get that the time scale has to be accelerated for the mechanics of the game to work, I just wonder if there would be some way to address their concerns, because while I can deal with it, I still feel like it's a tight time-frame to work with and it's going to be probably the #1 turn off for those interested in typical free form MMO style RP.

7/27/2018 11:13:20 PM #1

actually i believe that it takes 2.8 r/l hours for an in game day

each r/l week on earth = 1 elyrian year

(elyrian years do not have the same number of days as r/l earth years if i recall correctly)

7/27/2018 11:28:35 PM #2

They feel it will be impossible to set up the RP required to play out a good story that spans generations when every hour 3 and a half days have gone by.

Three days do not go by in one hour. As Dleatherus stated, it's the other way around. Every three hours, roughly one Elyrian Day has passed.

1 week in our time is 1 Elyrian Year. So a single Earth year is 52 Elyrian years. It's quite possible to play out a character lifetime over the course of a real Earth year.

7/27/2018 11:35:37 PM #3

Ah, that's good to hear, I did not know that an Elyrian year was shorter than a earth year, which is what I was basing my math on.

Thank you both for the quick response!

7/27/2018 11:36:43 PM #4

no worries, and welcome to the community

if your group are roleplayers i'm thinking they'll be making lots of friends within the CoE community

p.s. if they are looking at joining the community - click on the link in my signature and message me directly - there is a 5-6 week long lore/rp event starting SOON(tm) called The Searing Plague, and depending upon the size of your group, our group should be able to score an Elyrian Package for all of you!

7/28/2018 7:14:20 PM #5

Greetings and welcome dude :)

7/29/2018 9:46:26 PM #6

3 hours will still be short. I have taken part in RPGs where the days lasted 3 hours and we often got into problems. starting a conversation at 6 AM and talking until the early afternoon.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

7/30/2018 11:45:22 AM #7

Posted By Galliad at 2:46 PM - Sun Jul 29 2018

3 hours will still be short. I have taken part in RPGs where the days lasted 3 hours and we often got into problems. starting a conversation at 6 AM and talking until the early afternoon.

I understand that but in the long run for players to get things done in the time they have is very important. If you family you can speak across any distance and if not. Well you had fun chatting in the Elyrian world which sounds pretty awesome to me. There are going to be lots of player run businesses that would love to have players hangout for a day or three and have fun as a community. My 2cents

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

7/30/2018 12:59:43 PM #8

I may be mistaken. However, I do believe everything is still open for change. They decided on the 2.8 to 1 ratio as Caspian and Dleatherus said above, but I image if players get into the alpha and start saying it feels too short they may make some changes.

Also as a player you have to also think about other players and how their time is precious as well. How much fun would it be if the time was 4-6 irl hours to 1 day in Elyria? Most folks only get to play 1-2 hours at a time or less. If every time they logged into the game it was night/day due to their schedule you are excluding them from experiencing half of the world. Where as with the current ratio Monday Night at 8pm will be at a different time in Elyria than Tuesday Night at 8pm. ( I believe there was a QnA on this or something)

As for your RPing, I'm glad more RPers are looking into Elyria and yes the time does make things odd when it comes down to it.But that is just something that has to be dealt with. There may be a better time ratio to give more time per day to assist in your RP and only Alpha and Beta play can determine that.

The time also makes "night missions" odd in you only have 1 hour or so to complete it before day begins to break. BUT again working the system to how they have it ensures that everyone gets to experience the full game.

7/30/2018 7:45:05 PM #9

Meh, 3 hours isn't short. Go play on something like Everquest with it's 72 minutes daytime cycle for short time frames.

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

7/30/2018 11:12:30 PM #10

You have to consider Elyria is not earth. Their time is different. Just because 1 real life year is approximately 1 Elyrian lifespan doesn´t mean their weeks, months and days are similar to ours.
In fact, their nights are shorter than their days because of the twin star.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

7/30/2018 11:27:44 PM #11

Posted By zimmah at 4:12 PM - Mon Jul 30 2018

You have to consider Elyria is not earth. Their time is different. Just because 1 real life year is approximately 1 Elyrian lifespan doesn´t mean their weeks, months and days are similar to ours.
In fact, their nights are shorter than their days because of the twin star.

The Elyrian year is markedly different from the Earth year, in fact: A year in Elyria is divided into 6 months. Each month is divided into two weeks. Each week is divided into 5 days. This means there are only 60 days in the Elyrian year.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/3/2018 9:15:24 AM #12

Whenever I RP'd ingame we tended to just moot the day/night cycle ingame because most MMOs had their cycles go through within an hour or two. So if we had anything serious that needed addressing (which I see your point given we age and die rather fast here) then prob some discord or forum rp is needed xD or some outside planning.

But tbh six months for an ingame year is a lot to get a plot going. Mind you...might be a lot of casual gameplay and hardcore rping involved though.

Soldier of Dread Legion

8/16/2018 10:02:00 PM #13

okay so then 3600 in-game days equates to almost 1 year for someone's character to die of old age. i'm not against character perma death, but i like to have at least 2 years tather than 1 developing a character as a maximum (i'm kind of a long-term RP player, so 1 year to me is a rather weak amount of time to fully develop one character i'm playing as.), but hey, gotta pump the marketplace somehow :P.

I am only worried that such a constriction will ensure when something 'bad' happens people have to absolutely be on top of it within a 6 hour time frame whereas if it was 20-1 time frame people might have a week or two to fully commit to a plan of action.

otherwise, if you did take 1 week to commit to a plan of action you just spent almost 30 days in-game just to come up with a solution that'd otherwise take a week in-game time to figure out if it was closer to real-time.

For example, if someone were to somehow gather everything needed to declare war on you, you'd then be stuck with a problem that might take you several days or even weeks to comprehend, but by that time you'd 'technically' be at war for almost 6 months(in game) before you got your crap together to mount a proper defense. whereas historically it might take a month to fully get all your men equipped and marching toward the front lines (obviously rabble armies, but enough to slow the incoming forces while you train better men.. and will even slow the enemy army due to fighters fatigue that was rampant in long-term campaigns)

I.E. Logistical nightmares will be even more nightmarish in this kind of time frame :P so if you're into that type of thing be a leader.. otherwise don't be.. you'll put more time just keeping things status quo than not and when something hits ya the ramifications will be severe far more quickly than one would expect

Think of Mordin Solus from mass effect, his species specifically had something close to a 1/20th-1/30th lifespan of a human, their mental faculties and their species as a whole adapted to the short lifetime by hyper-accelerating everything about themselves. their metabolisms are astronomical, their brains move at several dozen times that of a human, and even their speech is like listening to a fast talking new yorker who just took some really good amphetamines.

the other side is that every single AI would be experiencing time in a distortion. where 60 seconds in their time is 1 second our time. so we'd be speaking whale to the AI who are designed around a much faster life cycle process.

8/16/2018 10:31:25 PM #14

... now that i think on it, every salarian talking to a human or other species at our 'normal speed'... is actually speaking whale to us all. that's crazy to think about, as imagine how people are with others who can't speak the same language.. that's how every ai would be treating PC's.... XD imagine the ai conversations 'jeez pc characters must be slow because it takes them a minute to understand one word i say'

8/18/2018 2:17:10 AM #15

Makes it all the more romantic that days can go by when two people are talking. Weddings and ceremonies lasting days have all the more impact on people because it interrupts their daily lives.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest