COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Salt Their Earth and End Their Lineage!

So there's been a great deal of discussion about potential griefing and I just wanted to throw a possibility out there: one of the concerns about determined griefers is that, if killed, they'll just respark into a new character and start again, making true peace impossible. Perhaps a way to mitigate this would be by forcing people to respark far away from their previous home, with the severity of the penalty based on how much of their spirit loss was caused by judicial punishments.

The problem, of course, is that regardless of this penalty, people can just spark back into a family member instead. The solution there, of course, being that a widely despised criminal might come home one day to find their entire family's been murdered.

As an aside, that's not just a possibility for criminals. If, for some reason, someone REALLY hates you, they may go out of their way to attack your heirs and wreck havoc with your lineage.

Just a fun thought I wanted to share!

[This space intentionally left blank.]

9/19/2018 4:45:04 PM #1

Well, forcing people into characters far away from their original location would only move "griefers" around, it wouldn't stop them. Besides which, it's pretty dumb and needless interference in the gameplay of the community. The only way to prevent "griefing" is through strength. So called griefing is simply going to be part of the game and those who are not strong enough to defend themselves, or don't have a government capable of enforcing the law will suffer the consequences. There are already plenty of mechanics in the game to deal with these issues, there's no need for something so gimmicky.

9/19/2018 5:01:17 PM #2

Elyria, more than most other game worlds, is heavily reliant on location. There is not teleporting (that we know of), there is no fast travel, maps are incomplete and only include what the mapmaker decides to put on them. If you end up forced to respark in a far-away place, you won't know the area, you won't be able to just go right back and join up with your friends, and you'll have a completely different part of the dance of dynasties to deal with.

You can still be a bandit, but you'll need to have a camp somewhere, or make an heir with some tavern wench in a nearby town, or something, if you want to stick around.

[This space intentionally left blank.]

9/19/2018 6:04:01 PM #3

A normal greifer from another MMO´s would not have a good time for long in CoE. As you can not hide by logging out of the game, så people will find and punish you.

9/19/2018 7:12:02 PM #4

This is a matter for the local justice system and player run government.

Also, I'm not sure that sparking into an error is a bug rather than a feature. It allows for simulation of blood feuds.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

9/28/2018 5:43:56 PM #5

Ironically, the medieval punishments to one's innocent/infant family members in CoE will actually make more sense.

The scoundrel's spark may reappear on one of the NPC children, and thus a rather intense retribution/vengeance arc will come about.

NA-East. Cartography, linguistics and apiculture.

10/2/2018 7:05:29 AM #6

The amount that a person may "grief" you is highly dependent on their skills as a character and a player, less they're exploiting. In this world, you're not being griefed, you're encountering a person that has a nice bar sliding closer to evil. Someone hacking at your shack out in the woods? Put them down, call for help. Log on to see someone broke into your home? Set up better behaviors to help your OPC react? Traps? Stronger doors? For the OP, remember that when your soul is sent back to the records, you're not jumping right back in with all your strength and perfect skills you had in a previous life. They wont come running back at you as if nothing happened. It's a very big world. And next time... you'll be ready for them? inspiration

10/2/2018 8:02:22 AM #7

you can have the family liable for the deeds of one member. This was common practice in the past. That would mean the family will have a grudge against him, making his reincarnation hell. Also seizing all their goods would do the job just fine.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

10/24/2018 2:23:30 AM #8

Posted By Terry_Dax at

So there's been a great deal of discussion about potential griefing and I just wanted to throw a possibility out there: one of the concerns about determined griefers is that, if killed, they'll just respark into a new character and start again, making true peace impossible. Perhaps a way to mitigate this would be by forcing people to respark far away from their previous home, with the severity of the penalty based on how much of their spirit loss was caused by judicial punishments.

The problem, of course, is that regardless of this penalty, people can just spark back into a family member instead. The solution there, of course, being that a widely despised criminal might come home one day to find their entire family's been murdered.

As an aside, that's not just a possibility for criminals. If, for some reason, someone REALLY hates you, they may go out of their way to attack your heirs and wreck havoc with your lineage.

Just a fun thought I wanted to share!

Lock them in jail and let him starve. I hope there is a way to capture people so we can draw and quarter griefers.

10/24/2018 4:18:33 AM #9

Thought of a horrible built in way to grief in this game. Just murder female NPCs. Ignore the nobles and strong ones, just farm wives and peasants and such.

You could wipe out whole kingdoms by reducing the following generations over time.