COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Heir Tutoring

Supposing it is possible to teach NPC characters, is it possible to tutor your NPC heir-to-be skills for after you reincarnate, thus making the skill ramp even faster (as you're both increasing your main character's skill while teaching and preemptively diminishing the amount of skill lost after death) ?

NA-East. Cartography, linguistics and apiculture.

10/11/2018 11:11:12 AM #1

Aye, I would think so. Can't think of a flaw in that reasoning. Enjoy!

A pretty meaningful way to spend your wining days as an elder imo.

10/11/2018 11:43:24 AM #2

If I am missing some info, please tell me :D

But everything ive read said that the heir isn't in the world before death, Therefor making "training" him... at least how you would train other npcs, impossible.

10/11/2018 12:22:32 PM #3

I see this as a vital game mechanic honestly. If I want my heir to inherit and enrich my Alchemical EMPIRE!! well I need to make sure he can learn alchemy.

If my firstborn maybe can't get the hand of it, but likes ye olde Elyrian Football, maybe the empire goes to the second son who sits inside and reads.

10/11/2018 12:27:33 PM #4

Posted By Viktoriusiii at 1:43 PM - Thu Oct 11 2018

But everything ive read said that the heir isn't in the world before death, Therefor making "training" him... at least how you would train other npcs, impossible.

Hmm ... when I go down the rabbit hole with Caspian, I don't see clear evidence of the mechanic suggested in the first post being impossible / blocked. If you find any, please let me know, as I my tired head may have missed some lines.

Moreover, I do find clear evidence that any NPC elligible to become your heir can already have been in-game along with you before you pass out.

Edit: Also checked other references and the wiki, but still found no show-stoppers.

10/11/2018 1:03:47 PM #5

Posted By Viktoriusiii at 04:43 AM - Thu Oct 11 2018

Yeah you missed an update. On mobile atm or I would link some sources, but essentially your heir is in the game, just locked so other people cannot steal him without permission. When you die you take over at his current age if you have enough story points and still get about a years playability out of him which is 52 Elyrian years.

10/11/2018 1:22:05 PM #6

Parents will have a great deal of control over the education and direction of their children. So for an heir-to-be child character, you should be able to groom them for your eventual body snatching. Once they become an adult though they start making their own decisions.

How this is actually going to work in-game should be interesting. :)

10/11/2018 1:25:59 PM #7

Posted By Labbe at 3:03 PM - Thu Oct 11 2018

Posted By Viktoriusiii at 04:43 AM - Thu Oct 11 2018

Yeah you missed an update. On mobile atm or I would link some sources, but essentially your heir is in the game, just locked so other people cannot steal him without permission. When you die you take over at his current age if you have enough story points and still get about a years playability out of him which is 52 Elyrian years.

Isn't that kinda ridicoulus? I mean... I wont complain... better then only having 2 elyrian years left... but this means that there will be 104 year old elyrians :D

But okay :D didn't see that update then. thx for clearing that up :D

10/11/2018 1:46:53 PM #8

Posted By AlteOgre at 09:27 AM - Thu Oct 11 2018

Hmm ... when I go down the rabbit hole with Caspian, I don't see clear evidence of the mechanic suggested in the first post being impossible / blocked. If you find any, please let me know, as I my tired head may have missed some lines.

Moreover, I do find clear evidence that any NPC elligible to become your heir can already have been in-game along with you before you pass out.

Edit: Also checked other references and the wiki, but still found no show-stoppers.

From that rabbit hole, this came about:

"Longer years and coming of age

If you look back at the list of ideal scenarios, you'll see: 'I get to raise my children and see them grow and develop.' One of the main reasons for having children in CoE is to become attached to them, to create a future you can look forward to, and to watch them grow and develop, teaching them the skills you want to use in the next life. These are crucial as they make the loss of your current character seem less like a punishment and more like a natural transition."

So teaching your children seems to be on the plan, yay! Also thanks for that link Alte, I'll be reading it head-to-toes as it also addresses some other inquiries of mine.

NA-East. Cartography, linguistics and apiculture.

10/11/2018 1:52:47 PM #9

tips hat

10/11/2018 10:28:31 PM #10

Tutoring sounds like a good idea. Makes you wish there was a place that specialize in teaching people. I'm above shameless plugs though, so I want draw any attention to my signature.

10/12/2018 4:13:03 AM #11

IIRC we were once told that if a descendant is listed as your heir, them he//she will not actually spawn in the game until you die. In other words the heir stays hidden until called upon, Is this still true?

Can a heir learn skills before spawning?

10/12/2018 4:59:29 AM #12

Posted By Halvgrim at 2:13 PM - Fri Oct 12 2018

IIRC we were once told that if a descendant is listed as your heir, them he//she will not actually spawn in the game until you die. In other words the heir stays hidden until called upon, Is this still true?

Can a heir learn skills before spawning?

Heirs being put in stasis out of world has long been changed, as has been noted in posts above.

They now come into the world and you can build a relationship with them and either teach them skills yourself, hire a tutor to teach them, or even send them to a school to be taught.

Imgur Imgur

10/12/2018 9:02:11 AM #13

Nice. My personal plan has been to store away the knowledge I collect and spark into my hier as soon as they're born (to make the most out of ramps, being young and adolescence buffs). I'd be able to immediately train my character via observation (observing my old character) and learn all the basic stuff from my last life over, like maybe a useful language or a couple of techniques (and this is something you could do for your children).

Which leads me back to the OP. If we know you can train your families children through a series of methods... On the flip side, is there anything we can do for other NPCs in your family (such as old characters who are now your NPC parents)?

10/12/2018 9:28:20 AM #14

Posted By Sagan at 11:02 AM - Fri Oct 12 2018

Which leads me back to the OP. If we know you can train your families children through a series of methods... On the flip side, is there anything we can do for other NPCs in your family (such as old characters who are now your NPC parents)?

I'd think ensuring their safety and make them behave in a way that benefits your fame and reputation, would be a primary concern when dealing with family. Those could be needed to make them make you inherit all their 'good' stuff once they pass. And that can already get you quite occupied in between your own main concerns of surviving, earning a living, securing prosperity and acquiring wealth.