COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SBS! Map Voting Results Mean Nothing!

Dear SBS,

I am so excited right now, I could choke a donkey. These maps are awesome.

However; while discussing these maps with my Duchy, I have had to warn everyone that the "Results" at the bottom mean exactly nothing right now, because we have no absolute Y axis values to compare. I have no idea if 15 people voted with 1 billion total influence, or if 3700 people voted with 1 influence each.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, can we have a Y axis value so that we can actually consider the "Results" in real-time.

Much love, ~Duchess

10/23/2018 3:17:51 AM #1

Second this idea please, would be very helpful

10/23/2018 3:18:29 AM #2

Good call Duchess.

10/23/2018 3:18:51 AM #3

Ditto

Friend Code: FAE9AA

10/23/2018 3:20:12 AM #4

Yes Plz

10/23/2018 3:29:59 AM #5

I would like more information too but heres the counterpoint:

The current plot gives relative information, not specific information. Specific information would allow for more precise collaboration that could further bias the vote, and lead to collaboration between kingdoms or individuals. It also would make last minute voting more ideal as a way to "ambush" the expectations.

Now admittedly, even with the obscured information these things are possible, but it is way more difficult and imprecise.

While I as an individual would like additional information, from a broad perspective I think less information makes the vote more interesting and less easy to predict.

10/23/2018 4:30:40 AM #6

Posted By Kyxsune at 05:29 AM - Tue Oct 23 2018

The current plot gives relative information, not specific information. Specific information would allow for more precise collaboration that could further bias the vote, and lead to collaboration between kingdoms or individuals. It also would make last minute voting more ideal as a way to "ambush" the expectations.

Now admittedly, even with the obscured information these things are possible, but it is way more difficult and imprecise.

While I as an individual would like additional information, from a broad perspective I think less information makes the vote more interesting and less easy to predict.

Aye. And for that reason I would expect SBS to stick to the current, presumably very deliberate, format. And I believe this format is completely in line with the intended spirit of this voting process.

10/23/2018 4:34:15 AM #7

Posted By Kyxsune at 11:29 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

I would like more information too but heres the counterpoint:

Dear Kyxsune,

Thanks for your thoughts. While I would normally champion equal and proportional representation in a vote, with no "bias" at all, that is not the premise of this exercise, even in the least bit.

This is not a democratic vote which should result in an understanding of what each and every member of the CoE community thinks is the prettiest map, individually (a democratic selection of a map based on each individual's preference)

... on the contrary...

these maps and the voting on them will be an optimal result if the communities (kingdoms/duchies/counties/towns/guilds/organisations) that have banded together in common goals and spirit are able to make their preferences known by wielding their influence through informed decision-making. Anything less would be a disservice to this awesome opportunity that SbS has given us to mold the world in which we want to play.

So, in short, YES! We need to be able to see live results, and respond to them collectively, to achieve the optimal result of giving the studio a clear view of our preferences as the CoE community-in-whole, and the sub-communities by which it is comprised. We need specific data to do this, not arbitrary "relative" information.

Yours in community spirit, ~Duchess

10/23/2018 4:59:58 AM #8

Posted By Aritaur at

Dear SBS,

I am so excited right now, I could choke a donkey. These maps are awesome.

However; while discussing these maps with my Duchy, I have had to warn everyone that the "Results" at the bottom mean exactly nothing right now, because we have no absolute Y axis values to compare. I have no idea if 15 people voted with 1 billion total influence, or if 3700 people voted with 1 influence each.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, can we have a Y axis value so that we can actually consider the "Results" in real-time.

Much love, ~Duchess

I asked Caspian this on Discord and he said that the amount of influence spent on the maps doesn't really matter over their actual spot on the bar graph. Personally, having an idea on how much of a disparity one map has over another could help other big spenders to decide on which map to go into, but Caspian said this decision is deliberately done.

Here's hoping this could change for round 2, but I doubt any change will happen in this regard for round 1.

• In Luna server, likely going to be The Waerd, and not affiliated with any organization.
  • Participated in TSP event and ended as Sage (obtaining a cure to gain a package)
  • If anyone wants to help me gain IP, making an account with 5311C0 as the referral code would be greatly appreciated.
10/23/2018 6:54:49 AM #9

Inquire can you clarify what Caspian said (always best to quote god directly) cause that's not making any sense to me. If bars don't correlate with influence spent then what do they mean?

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

10/23/2018 7:20:13 AM #10

If you ask me it already decided by the rich few on G.....

10/23/2018 9:39:46 AM #11

I don't want to see the exact values, and here is why.

Lets say Selene, Luna, and Angelica all fancy the same 5 maps.

A B C D E, just for arguments sake.

Now let's say that Luna decided that they want the best 5 maps for themselves, and they had the means to get them all. So Luna pools their votes together on these 5 maps, and because they see Exactly how many votes they need to get to get these 5 maps, Boom. All the good maps go to Luna.

Then Angelica and Selene get stuck with a random assortment of the other 15 maps.

Using a relativity scale causes servers to understand how popular each map is relative to the other servers and other maps on the same server, without letting those jerks over on Luna hog all the maps. (Just an example, much love Luna)

10/23/2018 10:54:41 AM #12

Or you could show for each map the "percentage of total expressed votes on this server".

Maybe it is what is shown to us actually, maybe not: since a graph with no labels and scales is a bit useless.

A bit out-of-topic, but still about missing information to vote, we still don't have official clues about what most of the biomes are entitled to.

There are several inconsistencies in the proposed map pool, just calling a few: + for instance, what in the hell could be in CoE a salt marsh (also called tidal or coastal marsh) without coasts like on some presented maps; + plus the lack of lakes (H seems to be the only inner sea, maybe lakes will still be a thing later); + added to the maps where some tribes are treated like american natives or endangered species (with unique biome sizes ridiculously small: kypiq, janoa, brudvir); + ...

All in all, the number of "acceptable/interesting" maps is not that high. A point that could be interesting if it wasn't for the vote method.

Empires will indeed decide what they want as server maps (deciding/bidding all on one or two is their best interest since they will collect two kingdoms)... it leaves only one server with an interest in this first round.

Actually make that two, since Oceanus' nobility could play their cards well and help a particular kingdom gets what they want... if they think ahead about later exchanging cross-server information/research clues with them.

Basically, not having the duchy lines, correctly-drawn kingdom borders or biomes shown in a functional color scheme/mapping.

SbS could have use any decent and free infographic tool to present/obfuscate the maps correctly. Since they went that way: it would have been easier and supense-enhancing to have less accurate frontiers/borders when presenting the kingdoms and duchies (again infographic style), and leave those for the round 2 reveal.

Too late for regrets or enhancements I guess, as the misleading title of the thread says: "map voting results mean nothing"... or at least are quite anti-climatic (pun intended).

Kurugi [A5D079]

10/23/2018 11:04:57 AM #13

Posted By Lodrig at 02:54 AM - Tue Oct 23 2018

Inquire can you clarify what Caspian said (always best to quote god directly) cause that's not making any sense to me. If bars don't correlate with influence spent then what do they mean?

Used to IRC rules where stuff shouldn't really be sceenshotted from the area without some permission, but I think this has changed with time. I also do not have >250 influence to link websites so just search my name in the map selection server.

Here is the text verbatim otherwise:

• Inq - Is the bar graph at the bottom suppose to be vague in how there aren't any proportion of votes for a X axis or number of votes for each bar? [addendum - meant Y axis]
  • Casp - They are intentionally vague. The actual amount of influence contributed toward each map on each server isn't relevant. All that matters are the positions of the bars.

• In Luna server, likely going to be The Waerd, and not affiliated with any organization.
  • Participated in TSP event and ended as Sage (obtaining a cure to gain a package)
  • If anyone wants to help me gain IP, making an account with 5311C0 as the referral code would be greatly appreciated.