COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Embracing the Beard

If at some point, my Hrothi embraces his inner beard, and lets it grow, as a Count or Baron is this likely to upset the citizens; if indeed such a thing is possible.

It seems logical that it would be possible, unless this feature is being disabled for risk of licensing clashes with other D&D groups?

Also, when we make statues, will 'bearding' them be possible, or even graffiti?

11/18/2018 12:44:27 PM #1

I'm sure most player hrothi will grow their beards out so you just need to convince the npcs. Hopefully if the king and nobility grow a beard it will influence hrothi culture

11/18/2018 5:30:19 PM #2

Do we even know that the Hrothi Can grow beards? Real, full grown, beards.

You would think generations of beard cutting would eventually breed out the ones that grow nice looking beards, and leave the scraggly few.

edit: ^ meant as a joke :P

11/18/2018 5:42:44 PM #3

Posted By Labbe at 12:30 PM - Sun Nov 18 2018

You would think generations of beard cutting would eventually breed out the ones that grow nice looking beards, and leave the scraggly few.

Yes, Snipehunter has mentioned(in discord) they can grow beards, but as a culture there is no point to it, it is seen as sort of childish and antisocial thing to grow a beard in Hrothi culture.

11/18/2018 5:46:30 PM #4

I think the core “Roman” Hrothi will not/should not grow beards. But rebels and the wild Hrothi should. I also hope they allow us to knit beards to put on Hrothi statues as a protest.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

11/18/2018 5:50:38 PM #5

If my character can't grow a beard naturally, I'll staple a canis-rabbit pelt to my face!

Healdwald

11/18/2018 5:53:30 PM #6

It has probably been mentioned somewhere. But if you can't create a bearded Hrothi character, you could opt for a short bearded Brudvir. We know they're hairy. :D

Plan B: Go as short as you possibly can at character creation. Then find a Hrothi wife, and keep breeding for shortness with each subsequent heir until you have your very own clan of midget Brudvir with epic beards.

11/19/2018 4:48:07 AM #7

Posted By SirApetus at 09:42 AM - Sun Nov 18 2018

Posted By Labbe at 12:30 PM - Sun Nov 18 2018

Yes, Snipehunter has mentioned(in discord) they can grow beards, but as a culture there is no point to it, it is seen as sort of childish and antisocial thing to grow a beard in Hrothi culture.

Childish and antisocial will no doubt resonate with a lot of players.

11/19/2018 6:07:38 AM #8

I'm not really expecting much from the whole growing hair/beards etc, no matter the tribe. I remember before witcher 3 came out. It was talked you could grow hair in it. Now while maybe you can on some level. It's nothing much really. Not like some were picturing anyway. I really wouldn't expect CoE to be any different.

11/19/2018 6:25:05 AM #9

If I'm a hrothi I'm growing a beard. I don't know the whole culture of hrothi around beards but cultures can change. Long live beards!

11/19/2018 6:51:16 AM #10

...if not growing a beard is a thing...that means shaving is a thing...which means hair grows...which means barbers are a profession. How totally weird and cool to have in game.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

11/19/2018 8:44:39 AM #11

In our Dwarven themed counties all NPC's will be forced to wear beards and like it, like some kind of Dwarven Taliban.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

11/19/2018 8:45:32 AM #12

Posted By Iosef at 10:50 AM - Sun Nov 18 2018

If my character can't grow a beard naturally, I'll staple a canis-rabbit pelt to my face!

Where are you going to get a stapler?

11/19/2018 1:53:13 PM #13

Posted By Barleyman at 09:45 AM - Mon Nov 19 2018

Posted By Iosef at 10:50 AM - Sun Nov 18 2018

Where are you going to get a stapler?

Hrothi tinkerer :)

And yes - i'll grow a beard ingame too! Long live the beard! Long live freedom!

11/19/2018 5:27:06 PM #14

Can you staple a beard to kypiqs? They need to look more adult somehow

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

11/19/2018 7:25:59 PM #15

I guess SBS want to avoid the common prejudices against dwarves, like always eating and drinking, being loud and having the pieces of the last meal in the unkempt beard. Besides Hrothi aren't considered dwarves by SBS. ^^

I think Hrothi should be able to have a beard as long as you have a good rp reason for that.

For example a Hrothi who is on a very important voyage might grow a beard simply because he doesn't have the time and also wants to indicate that he has much more important matters going on at the time.

Similarly a Hrothi that is out for revenge or is griefing over a lost one could also grow a beard (temporarily).