COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Oasis and its story implications

Short and sweet...

The most interesting implication behind this store item has been that its a location that for engaging with the story mechanics. Naturally, I wonder if the Hrothic Great Libraries and the Kypiq Giant Mushroom Forests will be legendaries and locations for story triggers.

What else do you think would be a legendary point of interest? If you were handling the structures that grant story which themes/styles would you like the most?

12/3/2018 8:48:12 PM #1

Apparently there are 7 legendary inns/taverns in the world in addition to a few other locations that have previously been named, Silver Run Mine for example.

The Inns/Taverns however are designed to be owned and operated by players but at 1,250 USD a pop it's sure to go to the "cool kids" who are already financially vested in the game or people with more money then sense.

I think places like this should be a lottery. We all buy tokens at a reasonable price, say 20 bucks, and there's a small cap on how many you can buy, say 5, and no trading of tokens.

Then, random chance determines who gets it, not the person with the biggest wallet and fastest internet.

Personally, at the price they sold the Last Oasis for I see these as just a cash grab but at least it's an interesting one.

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

12/3/2018 9:45:42 PM #2

Honestly I'm ok with them having a price that helps to fund the game - after all they will be great places to visit and play in, regardless of who holds the deed to the location.

In terms of locations, the only limit is imagination. And given there are already short stories / novels in progress, there is plenty of fuel if SBS wishes to use things like the Dark Castle, Elbereth's Library or the Qin Cathedral Ruins.

Link to my story

12/3/2018 9:51:34 PM #3

Posted By Hugh Bris at 1:48 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

Apparently there are 7 legendary inns/taverns in the world in addition to a few other locations that have previously been named, Silver Run Mine for example.

The Inns/Taverns however are designed to be owned and operated by players but at 1,250 USD a pop it's sure to go to the "cool kids" who are already financially vested in the game or people with more money then sense.

I think places like this should be a lottery. We all buy tokens at a reasonable price, say 20 bucks, and there's a small cap on how many you can buy, say 5, and no trading of tokens.

Then, random chance determines who gets it, not the person with the biggest wallet and fastest internet.

Personally, at the price they sold the Last Oasis for I see these as just a cash grab but at least it's an interesting one.

Honestly, even though I'd love to own something of that nature...and of course can't afford it most of the time...I don't see a problem with SBS selling them for quite a lot. I mean..I'd rather have a legendary location/building be in the hands of someone willing to invest in it's well being through actual money and dedication to the game, then some excited teeny bopper who spent a couple twenties of daddy's money and then didn't even put in enough effort to claim the dang thing in expo, or won't put enough effort in game to a static/stable location because they ended up wanting to go kill something.

Obviously someone like me (a father of 4) doesn't fit into said scenario...so if I were to win it, it'd be different than said scenario (at least I like to think so)...but I'd rather it go to those with a very large chunk (and better chance they are a stable individual IRL than said wishy washy person) of money that also has a better chance of making it work in game.

In the end, this is the world building portion of the game...and a legendary building/location needs stability at the start of the game, imo.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

12/3/2018 10:05:59 PM #4

They've raised quite a bit of money already, over 5 million, and while I'm sure most of that money has been raised by people not losing sleep at dropping 5k at a time the majority of the players will have spent significantly less.

It would be nice if the rank and file were given more chances to have something cool.

I know there was at least one Kingdom giveaway but I'm not sure if that was a specific indecent on a specific server or if it happened on all servers. Still, something like an Inn or a Tavern as a lottery would bring a lot of people back that have wandered off because of lack of content and bring in new folk as well.

Winning the Tavern and keeping it, like anything in CoE, are two very different things.

12/3/2018 10:20:15 PM #5

I always though stuff like this would happen ingame instead of being able to buy it. I pictured something like this:

You have a tavern owner, the tavern itself is made by a high level crafter, the tavern is built near a city, there is also a high level bard and cook. Once a tavern reaches a certain renown a npc will visit and offer to sell a recipe for cake. The recipe takes a ton materials to make and it is expensive to buy from him. If you buy the recipe and it make the cake, a week later a lore npc comes and ask for the take and stays in the inn for a week. She pays well and every night she tells a story( the stories area hints to lore or some times items). If you are able to serve her the cake she tells you about a legendary inn and how they were the only inn ever to serve this cake. She get the idea that you should continue and gives you a quest that leads into you getting the recipe for the legendary inn.

Coming back on topic, I think a church would be another good point of interest. I don't think anything lore heavy should be brought but they did point a lot of work into the religion.

12/3/2018 10:26:18 PM #6

Posted By Deftly at 5:20 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

I always though stuff like this would happen ingame instead of being able to buy it. I pictured something like this:

You have a tavern owner, the tavern itself is made by a high level crafter, the tavern is built near a city, there is also a high level bard and cook. Once a tavern reaches a certain renown a npc will visit and offer to sell a recipe for cake. The recipe takes a ton materials to make and it is expensive to buy from him. If you buy the recipe and it make the cake, a week later a lore npc comes and ask for the take and stays in the inn for a week. She pays well and every night she tells a story( the stories area hints to lore or some times items). If you are able to serve her the cake she tells you about a legendary inn and how they were the only inn ever to serve this cake. She get the idea that you should continue and gives you a quest that leads into you getting the recipe for the legendary inn.

Coming back on topic, I think a church would be another good point of interest. I don't think anything lore heavy should be brought but they did point a lot of work into the religion.

This also would be more cool than just shelling out twelve hundred bucks.

12/3/2018 10:43:07 PM #7

You just need to wait it out and see what might come in future events. SBS has already given away a Kingdom, Dutchies and Counties in the free Kingdom Event. During the Searing Plague Event, they gave away hundreds of Elyrian packages. So with this track record, I am pretty certain we have not seen the last of giveaways that are connected to future Events.

However, with that being said SBS is also relying on Crowdfunding to gain enough resources to complete CoE, thus they need to sell things that are attractive to future supporters.

In addition, if you really would like to have one of these Building and can't afford it. Wait till the game launches and strategize a way to take possession of one for yourself. sly smile

PS. I also wanted to add that with ambition one would be able to create fame for their own buildings and establish a legacy with gameplay.

12/3/2018 11:33:40 PM #8

I understand they need to the funding but I'm also willing to fund because I felt like CoE is a game where you earn things. The person that got the free kingdom could fail in a week, giving away a free kingdom, isn't really a prize, it's going to take tons of management, stress, and actual work. That's why I think a lot of people are fine with it. But buying fame and lore seems like a slap in the face to people that want to be tavern owners. Gaining fame is something a tavern earns through being different and having a personality. Someone could still have a better tavern than a legendary one but the legendary ones will always be at the back of everyone head.

12/3/2018 11:43:50 PM #9

Posted By Deftly at 4:33 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

I understand they need to the funding but I'm also willing to fund because I felt like CoE is a game where you earn things. The person that got the free kingdom could fail in a week, giving away a free kingdom, isn't really a prize, it's going to take tons of management, stress, and actual work. That's why I think a lot of people are fine with it. But buying fame and lore seems like a slap in the face to people that want to be tavern owners. Gaining fame is something a tavern earns through being different and having a personality. Someone could still have a better tavern than a legendary one but the legendary ones will always be at the back of everyone head.

And yet King has fame he bought, SBS even saying it's at legendary level and the accompanying rewards/risk.

And like the 5% or less of us (compared to the total world amount after launch) players buying packages and the incredibly small amount of that being Kings and Dukes, there are/will be a small amount of Legendary buildings/items and their accompanying rewards and risks compared to all of those types of buildings/items at launch/shortly after launch. All of which can be lost.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

12/3/2018 11:50:52 PM #10

@Deftly

Mhmm, but with poor management or lack of involvement said establishments could also lose their fame, or gain a bad reputation, wherein someone else could make their business more famous than the legendary one.

I know I wouldn't spend my time at a legendary establishment for that reason only. I would be more apt to go somewhere where I feel my needs are being met.

In my opinion, the things sold in the store are only a starting point. It is what the player does with it afterward that is going to determine whether or not they are a success.

12/4/2018 1:17:32 AM #11

Posted By Deftly at 2:33 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

As the owner of said NA-W item, let's look at this point some. Is buying a pledge to be a Duke, or King a slap in the face to those who wish to be but aren't? What about Mayors? Where's the line drawn? All of those things require dedication to maintain the purchased title, and accompanying locations.

Maintaining a community isn't an easy feat. It requires a lot of time, well beyond the suggested time in game. I spend way more than 15-20 hours a week. I'm on my phone consistently checking discord, i'm engaged and aware of my people, their problems, and their lives. You're right it's a lot of work and we all can lose our titles in the game. I absolutely applaud those who choose to get said titles, or worked for the votes for FK. That doesn't take into account; community events, item raffles within your community, buying games for people who don't have money so they can participate, or random items for associations and players who might not even play with you, and of course monthly fees for websites, Teamspeak servers, or any ancillary costs of running a community or being an engaged leader. Community management is exhausting, time consuming, and requires a level of dedication that is more akin to a job. It's a labor of love though and you can see it shape and become more than a sum of the parts.

The Last Oasis is a bit different but has many concerns. I will be required to maintain it, just like someone with a title will need to maintain their title. Being I have been open about ownership I have received; character threats, threats on the establishment, threats on blockades, and sieges of the city it's in. Which are all in-game type comments, so that's part of the dance. BUT do you really think it's harder to lose The Last Oasis than say a Count title? I could very well not own the area so securing it could be a problem. I know the item is legendary, but what does that really mean? Hell it could jack my fame up higher which makes all of those threats even worse should they succeed as i'd lose even more spark and lose it all the faster. Now take into the point that the "owner" isn't necessarily the one who's getting the story hooks (No where does it say the owner's story is modified). Want to interact with the legendary location? Show up? Stay for a show, enjoy the interaction.
An example in many heroic fantasy settings you don't really follow the tavern owner, you follow the adventuring group that meets there.

In saying all of that a raffle isn't a terrible idea if SBS wanted to go down that path, but i'm concerned about it running afoul with gambling laws.

Just my perspective regarding it all.

12/4/2018 1:25:45 AM #12

Posted By Dariusacmar at 6:43 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

Posted By Deftly at 4:33 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

And yet King has fame he bought, SBS even saying it's at legendary level and the accompanying rewards/risk.

And like the 5% or less of us (compared to the total world amount after launch) players buying packages and the incredibly small amount of that being Kings and Dukes, there are/will be a small amount of Legendary buildings/items and their accompanying rewards and risks compared to all of those types of buildings/items at launch/shortly after launch. All of which can be lost.

You can't lose property though. For the first, three three is no pvp and on top of that you need to develop siege weapons there is more than enough time to use that fame you brought to push your business ahead of others. The Tavern being connected to lore and us knowing that story events will happen there helps everyone. There would be little reason to want to wreck it. Plus, it's written in the lore so the npcs will know of it. I'm assuming that's going to be a pretty big deal to them and that's business. I just feel like an important building sells more than just a starting point.

Two people that brought king packages are equal. The legendary tavern being limited automatically puts one tavern owner above another because the other owner can't buy a legendary tavern. Now put the owners at the same skill level the legendary tavern should beat out the non-legendary tavern every time.

12/4/2018 1:35:07 AM #13

Posted By Pteroguin at 8:17 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

Posted By Deftly at 2:33 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

As the owner of said NA-W item, let's look at this point some. Is buying a pledge to be a Duke, or King a slap in the face to those who wish to be but aren't? What about Mayors? Where's the line drawn? All of those things require dedication to maintain the purchased title, and accompanying locations.

Maintaining a community isn't an easy feat. It requires a lot of time, well beyond the suggested time in game. I spend way more than 15-20 hours a week. I'm on my phone consistently checking discord, i'm engaged and aware of my people, their problems, and their lives. You're right it's a lot of work and we all can lose our titles in the game. I absolutely applaud those who choose to get said titles, or worked for the votes for FK. That doesn't take into account; community events, item raffles within your community, buying games for people who don't have money so they can participate, or random items for associations and players who might not even play with you, and of course monthly fees for websites, Teamspeak servers, or any ancillary costs of running a community or being an engaged leader. Community management is exhausting, time consuming, and requires a level of dedication that is more akin to a job. It's a labor of love though and you can see it shape and become more than a sum of the parts.

The Last Oasis is a bit different but has many concerns. I will be required to maintain it, just like someone with a title will need to maintain their title. Being I have been open about ownership I have received; character threats, threats on the establishment, threats on blockades, and sieges of the city it's in. Which are all in-game type comments, so that's part of the dance. BUT do you really think it's harder to lose The Last Oasis than say a Count title? I could very well not own the area so securing it could be a problem. I know the item is legendary, but what does that really mean? Hell it could jack my fame up higher which makes all of those threats even worse should they succeed as i'd lose even more spark and lose it all the faster. Now take into the point that the "owner" isn't necessarily the one who's getting the story hooks (No where does it say the owner's story is modified). Want to interact with the legendary location? Show up? Stay for a show, enjoy the interaction.
An example in many heroic fantasy settings you don't really follow the tavern owner, you follow the adventuring group that meets there.

In saying all of that a raffle isn't a terrible idea if SBS wanted to go down that path, but i'm concerned about it running afoul with gambling laws.

Just my perspective regarding it all.

The difference there is we were told, anything you don't buy you can earn. I can't afford a king package, I can work my way up and be a king. There is no working your way up to get a legendary tavern, when it comes to mmos being first is important and getting fame is important. If you can become "the tavern" which is possible because you have something unique. You are going to have people that want to check it out on the name alone.

I'm not saying management isn't hard but you are someone that is willing to do it, now if there was someone else willing to do it but didn't get a tavern you have a leg up on them. If you brought a tavern without the legendary tag, without the added fame, without the lore, the name, etc that would be fair, you would just be another tavern, nothing special until someone goes inside.

12/4/2018 1:45:39 AM #14

I want to add one more thing to be considered here, and of course, it is just my perspective. But have you thought about distance? What I mean is, say I have an established Tavern where my County seat is located, yet there is a legionary/historic tavern two Counties away from mine.

Do you assume that all the citizens from my County are going to travel the distance on a regular base or spend their time in my establishment which is closer to their home?

I don't think they will travel there regularly. They might go there once out of curiosity because it is a historic location, but they would be more inclined to go to my tavern more regularly, where they will find friends and future business contacts.

I could be wrong but my understanding of this building and what makes it legionary is simply the fact that something historic happened there. Nothing more, nothing less.

So why can't you work your way up to earning a Legionary Tavern? I am pretty sure there will be many historic happenings over the next ten years.

12/4/2018 2:03:02 AM #15

I don't think the legendary tavern will suck all the money from everyone but people around the person that was planning on having a tavern too will suffer(imo). Since the legendary tavern owners have the funds they can back up their taver with EP and make roads to make it easier to get around..Distance will help out the other taverns for sure.

I'm not going to go full doom and gloom or tell people not to fund the game. I just disagree with this. I believe we all should be able to earn everything in game, money should never gives us something that you could never be obtained via gameplay.