COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Switching between languages

Here's another language question.

How will characters that know more than one language switch between them?

For example, my character knows Kypiq's and Brudvir's. She talks to a Janoa and then realize that they may not understand Denhort.

Does the character switch automatically to another language when it seems that the other party doesn't understand what they were saying at first?

Or do players have to learn to recognize another player's/npc's cues during conversation and then switch to something else either by clicking a button or something?

Friend Code: 1BA203

If my farming dreams fall apart, I'll just pack up and go on an adventure.

12/11/2018 4:33:38 AM #16

Random gibberish is easier to code than coherent translation into one of several languages. The effect of either is the same, if the hearer is assumed to interpret it as random gibberish.

The situation of someone learning a language must also be represented. This is easier to do with occasional recognizable words in a bunch of random gibberish than with coherent translation and selective replacement.

12/11/2018 10:56:17 AM #17

Someone brought out the difference between understanding foreign writing and speech. There doesn't necessarily need to be any difference if that language has phonetic writing. Then every letter is pronounced the same way.

WIll Elyrian languages include phonetic ones?

12/12/2018 3:01:55 AM #18

I was hoping it would be like that. If you understand you do. If choosing to speak I would greatly appreciate being able to choose my language manually.

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

12/12/2018 3:46:24 AM #19

Posted By Poldano at 11:33 PM - Mon Dec 10 2018

Random gibberish is easier to code than coherent translation into one of several languages. The effect of either is the same, if the hearer is assumed to interpret it as random gibberish.

The situation of someone learning a language must also be represented. This is easier to do with occasional recognizable words in a bunch of random gibberish than with coherent translation and selective replacement.

As to how it looks, I would guess random gibberish, but each language will have its own character set for that gibberish. So Lazu gibberish would look different than Denhørt gibberish. That's strictly a guess, though.

it would be neat though, in that you would at least be able to figure out, as a player, what language was being spoken, even if you couldn't actually do a real translation.

12/14/2018 11:38:25 AM #20

Posted By Kurko at 04:56 AM - Tue Dec 11 2018

Someone brought out the difference between understanding foreign writing and speech. There doesn't necessarily need to be any difference if that language has phonetic writing. Then every letter is pronounced the same way.

WIll Elyrian languages include phonetic ones?

Probably, but there are just as many languages that have the wrong script when matched to spoken language. Like every non-Mandarin Chinese language or Pakistani being identical to Hindu but using Arabic script. English using Latin characters as opposed to the original runic script is what causes headaches to non-natives and natives alike.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7