COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Kypiqs and Boats

Hey:) So i asked in the Discord and it seems that this question or answer to it hasn't come up before on a Q&A or blog post. I have seen some rather large Rivers in the Kypiq Biom and i would like to know if kypiq use boats or not. Some People believe the just chill up above in the trees and thats it. So what do you think? And if some Dev could answer it would be great :D

Kernothia

12/10/2018 6:10:08 PM #1

I think that as smart as they are supposed to be it would definitely be a possibility, but at the same time why would they feel the need?

They don't fish, they can cross the river with ziplines and such, they only use wood from dead trees for crafting so it is probably a waste to use it on boats they don't need.

Also their size would make it difficult to combat currents if they were rowing, and sailing presents it's own challenges.

My guesstimate to add to the conversation, is that it is an underdeveloped technology in the Kypiq community to make and sail boats.

12/10/2018 6:32:49 PM #2

LOL +1

12/10/2018 6:53:50 PM #3

So kypiq are: Commercial/Civic When they are Commercial i could see them use Rivers for Trade. Maybe Ziplines could not hold as many goods. :D

Kernothia

12/10/2018 7:11:45 PM #4

That is actually a really good argument for barges and rafts.

I guess it would make sense to have their main means of long distance travel be via waterway. It facilitates their trade needs, they don't have to try building roads everywhere in their forest, some third thing.

You have changed my mind Ludgwig. Now I imagine otterbear drawn trade barges. Although I'm not sure the dynamic for Kypiqs and beasts of burden. Maybe they just really value them and treat them well.

12/10/2018 8:09:39 PM #5

Yeah, expect to see Kypiq boats/barges/rafts. Likewise, you can expect to see Kypiq working on others' boats, as well.

Let me just dig, I think I have a picture of a Kypiq in a mighty Kypiq vessel here somewhere...

Ah! Here we go!

;)

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
12/10/2018 8:14:40 PM #6

Thanks for the fast reply :D

Kernothia

12/11/2018 4:19:11 AM #7

That's not a Kypiq, it's a leprechaun in a currach!

12/11/2018 5:03:28 PM #8

I'm quite certain NieNie has spotted a Kypiq in a barge some time ago and recorded the event.

12/12/2018 7:39:52 AM #9

So strange, I was wondering about this just the other day. How do Kypiq make boats if they don't have much wood?

12/12/2018 8:47:46 AM #10

Posted By Sagan at 11:39 PM - Tue Dec 11 2018

So strange, I was wondering about this just the other day. How do Kypiq make boats if they don't have much wood?

I imagine they make canoe type boats from natural trees that have fallen and can not help the forest.

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

12/12/2018 7:57:31 PM #11

Posted By Sagan at 01:39 AM - Wed Dec 12 2018

Woven fiber boats can be made without any kind of sealant, as the woven fibers expand and prevent seepage. Ancient boats of prehistory that we manage to find somewhat intact utilize a similar method.

They used cut trees, but no nails or fasteners. They would lash the boat together with rope and use rope for caulking. The rope and wood both would swell creating a water tight craft. There is evidence that the early inhabitants of the british isles also used this method in some of their ships

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

12/17/2018 6:04:20 AM #12

Hemp boats.

The Akashic Records

12/17/2018 8:59:24 AM #13

Not bad answers really. Fallen trees would be quite the payload for the lil guys n gals.

12/17/2018 11:43:28 PM #14

Keep in mind, Ironwood trees could have equally epic leaves. Don't discount the possibility of leaf boats.

1/17/2019 12:56:03 PM #15

Heh, i thought they would surf on otterbears while dragging their goods stripped tight on a piece of wood/or giant leaf.

Or use otterbears to pull a raft / leaf with them and their goods on it.

Do otterbears even live near their habitat?