COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribal Armor Concepts: To'resk Set (Light & Medium)

Hail Elyrians!

Apologies, I know I've been posting our shinies earlier in the day lately, but today has to be an exception. I was working closely with Souzou on some combat AI, and in the way that that sort of work can, it ate up the entire day! That said, it is indeed the shiniest of times, so without letting the moment pass, let us share the shiny! In fact, let us share two shinies! Have a look at light and medium incarnations of some basic To'resk armor:

Now, To'resk armor is actually very different from most of the armor created by other tribes. Alchemical preparations are used to treat paper of varying qualities to create different layers of material that can withstand both cutting and piercing while distributing the force of an incoming blow.

Through the creative use of the few metals they have at their disposal in their home biomes, and these resilient paper components they create, they are able to create armors that offer similar performance characteristics, and in some cases better performance, than their Hrothi or Neran counterparts.

However, this performance often comes with the price of increased maintenance requirements; paper armor is a lot stronger than you might think, but cuts that get through the various chemical layers can cause internal problems that degrade the integrity of the overall armor. On the other hand, if you know how, it's a lot less costly to replace a broken paper armor tile than it is a steel one.

Oh, one more interesting note: To'resk are one of the few tribes that aren't keen on sharing their armorsmithing techniques. The secrets of paper treatment are, they believe, both of critical military value and something uniquely To'reshian... to the point where seeing someone else wearing their armor is likely to have an immediate negative impact on their opinion of that person.

Enjoy, and stay shiny my friends!

• Snipehunter
12/14/2018 5:44:10 AM #31

I feel like we just learned that the To'resk are much more balanced as a tribe than it first seemed. This armor is impressive looking and perhaps even promises certain game play elements for the To'resk.

Nicely done Snipe.

12/14/2018 6:26:25 AM #32

Posted By omightis at 3:50 PM - Thu Dec 13 2018

sturdy yet elegant , very Hun-like! wonder what counters it? or weakens the Armour and by the look of it you can kind of see what kind of techniques the to'resk will use, the Medium Armour covers the front thighs of both legs perhaps creases speed ? not enough leg movement

Those leg pieces are probably greaves, to protect shins, even if they look extra wide at the top.

12/14/2018 8:27:02 AM #33

Now that is some good looking armour!

12/14/2018 9:46:05 AM #34

nice. love it

A stray from the shadows is watching you.

12/14/2018 10:14:20 AM #35

Great idea! Armor out of paper and alchemy. Love that! And.. good looking too!

12/14/2018 10:53:28 AM #36

This medium armor really speaks to me. As a Janoan sell sword i need armor that is nimble and strong

12/14/2018 1:37:22 PM #37

The armor looks great, but I'm a little confused. Is the entire thing made of paper, or just the bulk / backing of it? And is the fact that they don't use other materials than paper to reflect that there is a scarcity of metal in their biomes or that they simply lack the technology to work it?

For example, are the lamellar plates metal? If not, what is their purpose? Also, what are they attached to? They seem to just float there.

Also, there are some bronze-looking pieces on the armor (shoulders, bolts holding the kusazuri, helmet) that look like metal. If they are metal, my follow-up question would be why only in these locations?

If my point about metal scarcity was correct, then why waste so much of it on the helm, particularly with the spikes along the top that wouldn't do much to further the protection?

12/14/2018 1:46:22 PM #38

Just guessing but the helmet works as angled armor, it kicks the incoming blade to the side as that becomes the path of least resistance. A downward momentum strike to the very crown of that helmet meets much less deflection if it hits right there at the crown than if it hits to the side of it. So those metal pieces also appear to aiding in deflection process for the downward blade. So I would guess those are there for a perceived weak point of the helmet. Maybe Snipe will give an official answer to that question.

12/14/2018 3:23:19 PM #39

Best armour yet!

And the idea behind it is awesome.

12/14/2018 4:47:12 PM #40

This is badass. I was kinda disappointed with the Janoan armor overall but this is great.

12/14/2018 9:18:41 PM #41

I feel like i have seen this before.

12/15/2018 1:38:02 AM #42

The best yet. Extremely jealous the To'resk get this to themselves. Although that cultural dynamic is also very cool.

12/15/2018 7:01:54 AM #43

So, exciting!

Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'

The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

12/15/2018 7:24:43 PM #44

Looks kinda like a Blood Bowl uniform for humans.

12/15/2018 11:07:10 PM #45

Love the armor concept. Can't wait to try it on.