COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Respawning

I was wondering how respawning will be handled for lichs. I was looking on the forums and everybody's talking about just spawning next to their phylactery but the devs said that they want to go for realism so spawning next to your phylactery didn't make sense to me, If anybody can give me a solid answer than I thank you in advance.

(My friend code is 5D39A6)

12/21/2018 6:45:30 PM #1

We don't really know, and we probably won't get to know anytime soon since SBS prefer to say "liches and vampires don't really exist".

I'm curious why exactly you find spawning near the phylactery unrealistic though? The lich is essentially a physical projection, it would make sense for the lich to respawn near the source of the projection.

12/21/2018 6:47:30 PM #2

Posted By ShadowTani at 10:45 AM - Fri Dec 21 2018

We don't really know, and we probably won't get to know anytime soon since SBS prefer to say "liches and vampires don't really exist".

I'm curious why exactly you find spawning near the phylactery unrealistic though? The lich is essentially a physical projection, it would make sense for the lich to respawn near the source of the projection.

I'd agree with Tani, respawning near the phylactery would seem the most probable to me.

Alt text - can be left blank

12/21/2018 7:02:48 PM #3

There's also some very important mechanisms behind having the lich return to the phylactery on death too.

First of all if an immortal being would spawn near their point of death it would be extremely unbalanced, a lich could go on an unending rampage, only facing temporary delays along the way. If they spawned back at their phylactery then death would at least be a bit more inconvenient for them.

Secondly, since a lich can't permanently die without destroying the phylactery there should be a way of tracking its location. By having the lich spawn at the phylactery one can pin point the location based on reports from people who witness the lich after each death. Like: "okay, he keeps coming from this region, so that is where we need to search".

12/31/2018 4:06:50 AM #4

Posted By ShadowTani at 1:02 PM - Fri Dec 21 2018

There's also some very important mechanisms behind having the lich return to the phylactery on death too.

First of all if an immortal being would spawn near their point of death it would be extremely unbalanced, a lich could go on an unending rampage, only facing temporary delays along the way. If they spawned back at their phylactery then death would at least be a bit more inconvenient for them.

Secondly, since a lich can't permanently die without destroying the phylactery there should be a way of tracking its location. By having the lich spawn at the phylactery one can pin point the location based on reports from people who witness the lich after each death. Like: "okay, he keeps coming from this region, so that is where we need to search".

I meant just appearing there, what would make sense is perhaps taking over a nearby unoccupied vessel. say preferring corpses but optionally taking over npcs. Sorry for the confusion.

(My friend code is 5D39A6)