COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Death of a Royal family

I have a question about coups, royals being killed and noble families being wiped out.

I get that you need certain criterias to take over a kingdom...like a big flippin army.

But say you do defeat the king and his army, what happens when his soul eventually returns to his body? Will he just wake up on the street having lost everything and need to start from the bottom? Or will he perhaps be able to gather some valuables and be thrown out the kingdom/county?

Also say if the king or queen just gets assassinated? If you have a king and queen together (pc) and one of them is slain, does that imply permadeath and having to start a new character? Or will his/her soul just return to the body?

Steel and Blood forges the best weapons.

1/8/2019 12:18:54 AM #1

Most importantly to take his or her kingdom you need not only an army but a CB. Without a CB assassinating a king just "knocks him out", he spirit walks back and is king again, at least that is my understanding of it.

Also if you manage to take his kingdom, he has a CB for the next 28 days to attempt to take his throne back. If you can hold the throne for 28 days, it is yours otherwise, if he takes it back you are out and probably tried for treason lol.

1/8/2019 12:26:15 AM #2

If it works like that i guess it makes sense. Thanks for the answer.

Steel and Blood forges the best weapons.

1/8/2019 12:28:48 AM #3

Anyone can spirit walk back to their body assuming they have sufficient spirit remaining. People with high notoriety (like a king) incur greater spirit loss when they suffer a coup de gras. The more famous (or infamous) you are, the more it shortens your lifespan.

So a King could be assassinated resulting in permadeath but if they are young and haven't died before they might survive and rally their loyalists.

NA-W, Governor of Ogralyn

3/25/2019 12:09:54 AM #4

It would be interesting to see the many different scenarios and instances of aristocratic assassination/coup attempts and how they manifest.

3/25/2019 3:34:53 AM #5

Posted By Stelaphina at 7:18 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

Most importantly to take his or her kingdom you need not only an army but a CB. Without a CB assassinating a king just "knocks him out", he spirit walks back and is king again, at least that is my understanding of it.

Also if you manage to take his kingdom, he has a CB for the next 28 days to attempt to take his throne back. If you can hold the throne for 28 days, it is yours otherwise, if he takes it back you are out and probably tried for treason lol.

That's not what a CB is for.

A CB gives you the right to claim a title if you win the battle.

You can win a battle without a CB, or murder the king without a CB, but this wouldn't give you the right to the title (you can still hold the title even without the right to it, but the people may not accept you, however if no one can kick you out of the position, you're effectively the ruler even if others don't agree).

It's better to try and get (and use) a CB if you can, because without it, it will be a diplomatic problem.

If the king dies without a CB and without having a heir, a power vacuum is created, and in that case it depends on the tribal culture what happens next. Each tribe has their own method of deciding who has a claim to the throne.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

3/25/2019 4:00:33 AM #6

With the additional spirit cost for greater fame in mind, I’d think a king will permanently die if killed.

3/25/2019 4:06:20 AM #7

Posted By DanielBlack at 9:00 PM - Sun Mar 24 2019

With the additional spirit cost for greater fame in mind, I’d think a king will permanently die if killed.

Maybe not, if they're particularly young, though if they were CDGed and survived, they'd probably hurry to make some kids due to their substantially reduced lifespan.

(This does beg the question, though: If the king's heir isn't old enough for his spirit to inhabit when he dies, what happens?)

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

3/25/2019 10:36:18 AM #8

the whole family gets killed while hunting huehuehue

3/26/2019 3:34:02 AM #9

Posted By Athorias at 03:36 AM - Mon Mar 25 2019

the whole family gets killed while hunting huehuehue

That's clever, but it doesn't take into account that minor children cannot be killed. Nonetheless, it's a good enough reason to avoid getting the whole family together in one place.

3/26/2019 7:10:58 PM #10

Dont need a CB....gather your troops, march on the capital, take the capital, hold the capital, sack the city, import ppl loyal to you...now that kingdom has no leader and no capital, and you have a fancy settlement, you may not own it legally but who gives a shit? lol

4/21/2019 4:40:20 PM #11

Posted By zimmah at 10:34 PM - Sun Mar 24 2019

Posted By Stelaphina at 7:18 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

That's not what a CB is for.

A CB gives you the right to claim a title if you win the battle.

You can win a battle without a CB, or murder the king without a CB, but this wouldn't give you the right to the title (you can still hold the title even without the right to it, but the people may not accept you, however if no one can kick you out of the position, you're effectively the ruler even if others don't agree).

It's better to try and get (and use) a CB if you can, because without it, it will be a diplomatic problem.

If the king dies without a CB and without having a heir, a power vacuum is created, and in that case it depends on the tribal culture what happens next. Each tribe has their own method of deciding who has a claim to the throne.

Would a contract for succession of the throne also not come into play? What of the Queen and heirs apparent should they also survive the assignation attempt.

Teeal Friend Code: 2322B8

4/21/2019 11:49:07 PM #12

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a cb?

4/22/2019 12:26:03 AM #13

Posted By Roadjourney at 4:49 PM - Sun Apr 21 2019

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a cb?

CB Stands for Casus Belli
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/6549/DJ-18-Kingdom-Land-Management

You can read up on it a bit there, but the condensed explanation is basically a legal right to take or attempt to take a seat of power.

4/24/2019 11:14:42 PM #14

Thanks Labbe. Another question on this what if a war breaks out and the king falls in battle?

4/25/2019 12:07:48 AM #15

Posted By Roadjourney at 01:14 AM - Thu Apr 25 2019

Thanks Labbe. Another question on this what if a war breaks out and the king falls in battle?

In battles, there is even higher spiritloss for the first death. So the chance, that a dieing king in a staged battle will be directly permadead is quite high.

Without staged battles, I think it was roughly from 2 days spiritloss for Mr. Nobody up to 64 days for kings or other very famous characters. So even kings can (if they are young enough) die several times before they permadie (unless those deaths happen in staged battles, where another multiplier applies).

Friend Code: 30EF47