COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Roads KOE

Roads are a very important, some would say vital, part of any game of this type. Rough roads can damage your mounts, slow your travel, or, in drastic situations, the lack of them can prevent travel entirely.

The initial roads in the game will likely be created by the Soulbound engine, but after that, once KOE rolls around, they will be created by us, as players. These roads will shape the future of Elyria. They will control where trade flows, where armies march, and much more.

But there seems very little conversation about them on here. As my main focus will be trade, this is truly vital to me.

So, the questions, what roads do you think should be built where? And at what quality? What effects should roads have on travel? A speed boost? Reduced damage to vehicles and mounts? Lower occurrence of subsidence and stuck wheels?

Also, how should roads be built? Using the architecture tool? Or using in game work crews? Should they be created instantly? Or over time? Should they be permanent? Or require ongoing maintenance? Should they be free use? Or have a built in toll system?

Inquiring minds want to know!

2/20/2019 5:27:46 AM #1

You mean during Expo?.... :P

2/20/2019 5:36:16 AM #2

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 11:27 PM - Tue Feb 19 2019

You mean during Expo?.... :P

Nope, I mean during KOE. If I read that correctly, KOE starts some 60 years before expo, so I’m just thinking the initial road construction managed by PC rather than NPC will start then.

The details of this will be vital for people like me, who want to facilitate trade across the server.

2/20/2019 5:38:22 AM #3

Yea, we won't be doing any/much of world building during that time. That is during exposition

2/20/2019 5:45:43 AM #4

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 11:38 PM - Tue Feb 19 2019

Yea, we won't be doing any/much of world building during that time. That is during exposition

Are you sure about that? I’ve heard rather specific comments in regards to world building during KOE.

Specifically:

“Those who lose their lands during KOE will get them back after KOE and Caspian has frequently said they'll get them back with changes like major roads made by those who controlled the area during KOE.“

This is of course heresay, but this is part of the origin or my question.

2/20/2019 5:46:37 AM #5

Yes, that is regarding titles and the like. You'll be playing your ancestors, building up your story, your history. Not building the world. That will be during the 3 month period that takes place before launch and after KoE

Basically, you can "adjust" county lines and duchy lines by taking over other portions and that grants you certain things during that time. And you can either get your lands back if you want them and have them more established due to someone else taking care of it, or let them just have it and it'll "merge" into theirs and become part of history. Our actions during KoE are only Partially kept over to expo/launch. Not fully

2/20/2019 6:10:44 AM #6

Hmmnnn... I get what you’re saying, but roads seems to be something that would be included in the improvements you mentioned.

1. If the world is to be a living world, it would have had trade prior to KOE. Therefore, the Soulbound engine must create some sort of road system.

2. If KOE has potential for improvements to lands held, or acquired, then those road systems on those lands should be improveable.

3. If a road is improved in KOE, or even changed, I would think that would be one of the changes that would carry over into expo.

It is pure conjecture based on what I’ve seen and read from others, but it seems logical.

Is there a specific thing you can point me to that contradicts it? I’d appreciate any information 😊

I’ve searched the forums, and read the wiki, and watched all of Bicycle Walruses videos, so if it’s in there, I’ve failed in my sleuthing! Lol

2/20/2019 7:32:20 AM #7

Additionally, I just saw a post from Caspian, saying that roads would be built by the Soulbound engine, in KOE, and in expo.

“Heya Tear. Yes, there will be some trails, paths, and roads, already in the world when the players arrive. Some will be built by the world generation system, some by the players in KoE, and some by players in Exposition.”

2/20/2019 8:56:42 AM #8

I would think the majority of road building will be during Expo. Predominately I think this will be by the Dukes and Duchesses, between them all I imagine that this is a shit ton of EP.

Monarchs may be inclined to improve roads to any NPC Duchy they believe is important and likely will not be NPC Duchy for long.

Same as for KoE and players taking over NPC duchy, they will have to manage logistics and resources to improve roads rather than plonk them down with EP purchases. Much more involved, which is why I think 90% will be done in Expo.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

2/20/2019 9:32:21 AM #9

I think the KOE will also be a point where you are able to add a different tribe to your biom. For example if Barony A has Brudvir and Your Barony B is Hrothi. You decide to let them take over your city to get the Brudvir tribe into your city when the expo starts.

I think that in this way you can mix up some tribes.

2/20/2019 1:55:07 PM #10

Road are very important. In my Duchy I will connect all the Barony to my Capital and my Capital to other Duchy and I will create a road to the nearest Border to move troops quickly. The main roads will have Inn's a and towers and check points to make sure the travellers are safe and secure.

2/20/2019 5:37:10 PM #11

Alt text - can be left blank

Alt text - can be left blank

2/20/2019 8:32:51 PM #12

In Exposition you will be able to use Exposition Points to immediately place and/or improve the roads that are in the game.

During KoE, I dont see why we wouldnt be able to build new roads and/or improve the existing roads at the time. This could be done as it would be in any kind of strategy style game. To keep that aspect out of KoE, that doesnt make any sense to me. If conquering new lands and improving our existing lands is to be a thing during KoE then improving the infrastucture is part of that.

I do hope though that they dont allow EP to be used in KoE but that is an entirely different debate.

2/20/2019 9:32:47 PM #13

Just gunna' drop this quote here.

And here is a quotemesh from Caspian and the DJs that I use to remind myself of what KoE is about:

Kingdoms of Elyria uses ~~the VoxElyria client~~ Prelyria and allows people to play remnants of the past, their ancestors, to help us test some functionality and also to help build on the recent history (Previous 52 years).

During Settlement Selection you'll be able to identify which have some defenses. But KoE is where a lot of the defenses will be created. Remember, the work you all do in KoE will directly influence the starting condition of the world at Expo.

Throughout Kingdoms of Elyria, the actions of the players will dictate the previous 30-50 years of history of the Kingdoms. This includes the positions of the borders. It is possible, through KoE, to grow & shrink the size of your domain.

KoE is about testing our Kingdom/Land Management systems, and building up about 52 years of history. It's also for laying the groundwork, on a larger scale, for the condition of the world at Exposition.

Organizations such as schools and guilds are definitely things you'll be able to practice with in ~~ElyriaMUD~~ Prelyria. It'll be even more important in KoE.

Another way to look at it is: KoE is about setting the stage for Exposition. Where Exposition is about setting the stage for Launch. There is a gap between KoE and Expo. Plenty of time for children etc to happen. KoE is part of the history-building of the world. That's why the changes persist.

2/21/2019 4:00:26 AM #14

Jeez, Sagan backing me up with the facts today. Thanks again.

2/21/2019 4:22:33 AM #15

It's possible that roads will be mainly abstracted during KoE. The exact path of roads will not be as important as their existence and their general condition. By the time of Exposition, we will presumably be working with detailed maps at the highest available resolution. That means that the exact path of roads as they pertain to land parcels and other geographic features will be essential knowledge.

Roads in the abstract do not need to be dealt with as intricately as roads in detail do. Their construction and maintenance can be dealt with through general treasury costs and not through the specific expenditure of EP or allocation of workers, material resources, and funds. So, I do not see a need in KoE for any player attention to roads greater than "build a road from point A to point B, and deplete my treasury by the amount needed to make it so."