COMMUNITY - FORUMS - OCEANUS GENERAL
To Use the Oceanus Server As An American

Hello,

It's a simple question I suppose, but I am wondering the stability/performance/reliability of the connection if I locked my account to the Oceanus server, and played in that server with my characters, when I am living in North America West. Can I do it? Will/would that work? I will be playing with my girl, also my best friend, who is in Australia right now. We plan to get married and reap the benefits of a couple, but I know we need to match servers and wondering what the best options would be in order to play together with such great distance separating us right now...?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give on this topic,

Knight

2/27/2019 5:41:50 AM #1

Impossible to know how hard it will be. But if it really is a serious relationship and you expect it to last 10 years or you may plan to move eventually then I would recommend it. Maybe I am bias but I think gamung is best thing you can do in a long distance relationship.

As an Australian/American myself, I assume it is you going to Australia and not the other way around.

2/27/2019 5:44:44 AM #2

This is likely something we won't know for sure until we get into testing phases and see how much lag will affect NA-W players on the OCE server (assuming we test that) I'd suggest holding off on selecting your server until you know for sure.

Alternately, if playing on OCE is super important to you you can focus on something like crafting and hopefully any latency won't matter :D

Like I said though, might be best to just hold off and wait for now :P

2/27/2019 6:05:45 AM #3

Labbe is right, I would wait until we can confirm the latency and connection issues then, as it might unfortunately be far to laggy or weak a connection to be able to do some of the more time intensive activities such as combat ofc.

That being said, I've always heard that tunnels use like Hamachi are a thing? I don't use them as i tend to stick to my OCE servers as im in Aus.

Not sure how they work on games of this scale though lol

2/27/2019 7:03:33 AM #4

Is it feasible for you to have two accounts, one for OCE and one for NA?

You have the OCE as an alt initially to play with your partner and have the NA main until you move, then, assuming you do move to AU, the OCE character would become the main.

Just a thought, not sure if it would work for you or not

2/27/2019 3:57:54 PM #5

I think the problem with this ping discussion is it only considers where he will 'start' playing.

I think most important thing is wether he would eventually move.

2/27/2019 4:15:43 PM #6

I would not recommend it.

When I played Darkfall Online, we had Australian players on our west coast server with pings of 300+ ms.

That's upwards of a third of a second delay between input and response. It doesn't sound like much on paper but unless all you do is AFK craft and socialize, its a miserly existence to try to do anything which requires coordination or reaction.

3/5/2019 6:35:19 AM #7

Hey, thank you so very much for the replies. Much obliged. We have been talking about moving and where we are going to live frequently. Right now, nothing is set in stone either way. I suppose the best thing I will have to do is wait, as per suggested.

The difficulty is, my girl has been involved with CoE much longer than I, and has formed many connections over the years on the Oceanus Server that would really benefit us. There is nothing like that for us that would be on the other servers. So here is why the difficulty lies. For one, I hope there is something that can be done to limit the ping to less than 300, but at the same time, neither of plan on doing much combat, but rather expansion, town-building, and political intrigue sort of thing between royals, gentry, rich merchants, etc etc. We are far more interested in that, or running a business of sorts, than combat or something that might be more internet connectivity-based. This, I'd presume, would be a positive for myself, joining the Oceanus server.

Thanks so much for the replies!

3/5/2019 7:45:49 AM #8

As business owners, you should be able to handle a higher ping. And if negotiating is a part of your business model, you can maybe sell through hired employees.

There might be some difficulty playing the political scene with a high ping though, since you might find yourself responding to things from 5 or 10 minutes prior without realizing it.

My advice would be to wait it out, maybe make a dummy account to test server ping when you can play, before declaring a sever for your main account.

67CAC0

"Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means not the same."

-Just a lowly beekeeper

3/5/2019 3:17:05 PM #9

Posted By Knight of Roses at 10:35 PM - Mon Mar 04 2019

Hey, thank you so very much for the replies. Much obliged. We have been talking about moving and where we are going to live frequently. Right now, nothing is set in stone either way. I suppose the best thing I will have to do is wait, as per suggested.

The difficulty is, my girl has been involved with CoE much longer than I, and has formed many connections over the years on the Oceanus Server that would really benefit us. There is nothing like that for us that would be on the other servers. So here is why the difficulty lies. For one, I hope there is something that can be done to limit the ping to less than 300, but at the same time, neither of plan on doing much combat, but rather expansion, town-building, and political intrigue sort of thing between royals, gentry, rich merchants, etc etc. We are far more interested in that, or running a business of sorts, than combat or something that might be more internet connectivity-based. This, I'd presume, would be a positive for myself, joining the Oceanus server.

Thanks so much for the replies!

While your ping is unlikely to be problematic for social gaming, the much bigger problem you're going to have is that 7 AM for us on the west coast is 2 AM there -- the people you want to socialize with will rarely share your hours, unless you're up all night and/or do not work.

Consider this: its pre-alpha. Its not even alpha. Communities will boom and bust multiple times before we even get to anything persistent. You have plenty of time to develop connections to communities on the west coast long before anything matters.

3/5/2019 9:33:24 PM #10

Moved from Seattle to NZ recently. Some things I am noticing trying to play my US games from overseas:

Lag is a concern. Tremendously. Currently I mess around in Worlds Adrift, and in the US my response times were instantaneous. In NZ there's some absolutely unplayable moments, all of them because suddenly things lag up.

I had to make a decision between Seattle and Auckland based gaming early on, because although I currently live in NZ and will for the rest of my life, I also still own property in Washington, my wife is from there, and we will doubtless be back from time to time to hang out with her family.

The decision for my server was settled after I came out to NZ. With most of our time being here, we will not be playing on a US server. While in the US for any reason we will keep our logging in to a minimum, and will likely engage only in crafting and administrative duties during those times.

Your internet wont improve with the game. Its not a matter of Elyria devs programming something here. It's a matter of architecture on the web itself.

3/5/2019 9:36:12 PM #11

@Draguta & @Vucar Both food for thought. I appreciate the thoughts and information. Definitely things to consider. I'm curious to know if it's really that large of a difference for CoE, I know now that only time will tell. The reason I question this is because I game with my girl all the time on other games, such as 7 Days, Hearthstone, and Civ V with a 200-300 ping. For games such as Civ and Hearthstone, there isn't a delay in the slightest. For 7 days, there is only a few seconds of delay/lag time. Some days it is worse than others. I know CoE will be a very unique experience and this is why I was asking the question in the first place, but that being said, I'll have to wait and test it out, as per suggested.

As for @Vucar's reply, it's actually 7 AM for you and 2 PM. I haven't found time to be too much of an issue. I might have to stay up later in order to play, or vice versa for her, but that has seemed to work just fine. I really appreciate your concern.

As for connections, there is by NO means a way to obtain the same connections we have with Oceanus, as with another location, unless we wanted to go back in time when the kickstarter was going, and spend another few years building the relations elsewhere. On that note, is there a place I could go or be linked to, to form some connections of my own here? I think Tyslia (if I remember right) is the name of the specific region. Is there a discord I could join or a forum topic to do so?

3/11/2019 8:23:10 AM #12

Disc link sent

3/16/2019 8:56:38 AM #13

I'm unsure my self on what server to play on, mostly on MMOs i play NA despite being in NZ (atm I live on the NA black desert online) and i dont seem to have that much issue, but im worried that when it reaches the official release if im on oce and our server isnt as populated then itll be a very lonely game. :(

3/16/2019 10:50:57 AM #14

Posted By JujuCopyright at 7:56 PM - Sat Mar 16 2019

I'm unsure my self on what server to play on, mostly on MMOs i play NA despite being in NZ (atm I live on the NA black desert online) and i dont seem to have that much issue, but im worried that when it reaches the official release if im on oce and our server isnt as populated then itll be a very lonely game. :(

I have seen people say this before, while also said this in the past myself. But really, playing on US servers, at our peak time. It's really more dead than playing on our own servers.

It will probably be worse in this game as well. Compared to other MMOs. With this game being all about working together. You be just mostly playing with OPCs/NPCs. So really, wouldn't that feel just as lonely?

But gotta respect SBS for giving us our own server, when so many others don't even bother. Like seeing ESO saying a few days back on facebook, their BS reason for not opening one for us.

3/16/2019 11:11:03 AM #15

I play computer games all over the world, and playing Darkfall New Dawn with 350 ping was still playable. Ideal? Hell no.

But in the end ping is not everything; I played EVE for years from literally the other side of the planet from the server, and still had a lot of fun. Did I die and lose things because of the latency? Yes. But if you accept that sometimes you will simply die in combat or possibly fail in crafting etc because of your ping and you are ok with that, then you can play anywhere.

That said I strongly recommend the closest server / best ping if you can.

Link to my story