COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Family/Marriage Question

Okay, I may be dumb for not getting this, but bear with me.

So my girlfriend will be playing with me and obviously we'd like to be married in game.

How does that work when our first characters die? Like, one of us could take over a male or female child, but what does the other do?

Does the other pick an NPC to take over and marry into the family?

Count NA-E Friend Code D8E9A4

3/22/2019 1:41:06 PM #1

What happens is up to you. You could spend a lifetime playing as siblings and then marry the cousins to rejoin the marriage side of gameplay or each lifetime someone could create a ward and marry into the family and keep some chlorine in the ole gene pool to prevent inbreeding.

3/22/2019 2:22:15 PM #2

I think the only requirement here is that there's actually a physical body to spark into. If somehow there just aren't 2 NPC children somewhere in your settlement or a location you can both get to, then you'll just have to make them or do it the old fashioned way - negotiate a baby contract with another PC family! :D :D

3/22/2019 3:39:33 PM #3

You have many options there. What I would do (to prevent inbreeding and the ick factor of incest) is, on death of the original couple, to have one of you spark into the family heir and other spark either into a friend’s child or an NPC (nontraditional character — NTC) to form the next generation couple.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

3/22/2019 5:23:48 PM #4

Assuming the aim is to keep a dynasty (and without incest), when one or both of you die, one of you can spark into one of the child’s (let’s say, if it’s a boy you spark into it, if it’s a girl your girlfriend will spark into it, for example).

Then the other will spark into some NPC character and marry into the family. You’ll still have the same soul even if you’re not sparking into family, so you’ll still have skill ramp progression etc.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

3/23/2019 12:55:17 AM #5

Thank you all for the responses!

Count NA-E Friend Code D8E9A4

3/23/2019 2:10:16 AM #6

There was a very similar post a month or two ago. In addition to what Malais said, I think there is another way to avoid inbreeding while keeping everything "in the family", so to speak. That is to marry your two characters, have each of those characters contract for a child outside the marriage, name those children as your respective heirs, and when the time comes spark into those children. The downside compared to the Ward-sparking or NPC-sparking methods is that you may require multiple attempts, because there is no guarantee of a contracted child's gender, so half the time you would expect children of the same gender.

3/23/2019 8:44:13 AM #7

just inbreed (its not real life, so hopefully not as bad) have children then jump into those children as ur heirs. marry again and have kids again. you get to keep everything in the family while scaling the skills you want. possibly a better oppurtunity for mutations too. some could be pretty cool, and if not then reroll once and dont use it

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

3/25/2019 12:06:45 AM #8

It would be interesting to see if inbreeding has any negative effects. Or was this already asked and answered?

3/25/2019 12:58:23 AM #9

Posted By Ascarion at 5:06 PM - Sun Mar 24 2019

It would be interesting to see if inbreeding has any negative effects. Or was this already asked and answered?

It was indeed answered and no. Inbreeding will not have negative affects. That wouldnt make the game More fun so they including it is how I remember it.

3/25/2019 12:59:51 AM #10

Posted By Labbe at 6:58 PM - Sun Mar 24 2019

Posted By Ascarion at 5:06 PM - Sun Mar 24 2019

It was indeed answered and no. Inbreeding will not have negative affects. That wouldnt make the game More fun so they including it is how I remember it.

However, you can and will lose traits.

3/25/2019 1:09:50 AM #11

And, as I understood it, inbreeding will increase the chance of mutations, which can (but not necessarily will) be negative

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

3/25/2019 1:20:38 AM #12

You don't have to get married every lifetime you know, the whole point of new lifetimes is to play differently and experience different aspects of the game. Second lifetime spark into two of your kids and be brother and sister and go hunting dangerous creatures like that Hansel and Gretel movie.

3/25/2019 4:05:00 AM #13

The choice is yours, though do remember, inbreeding can result in negative recessives. So avoid letting your family tree become a shrub!

3/25/2019 12:17:07 PM #14

Posted By DanielBlack at 04:05 AM - Mon Mar 25 2019

The choice is yours, though do remember, inbreeding can result in negative recessives. So avoid letting your family tree become a shrub!

Do you have a source for that? devs have previously said incest does not cause any negative consequences so if that's changed I'd like to know the source.

3/25/2019 3:26:38 PM #15

Posted By Stormbreaker at 07:17 AM - Mon Mar 25 2019

Posted By DanielBlack at 04:05 AM - Mon Mar 25 2019

Do you have a source for that? devs have previously said incest does not cause any negative consequences so if that's changed I'd like to know the source.

I’d like to see the source of that

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX