COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Regarding the use of public plots of land

In a county/duchy/kingdom there will be unclaimed lands. These lands have resources on them such as stone, wood,water, wild plants and fungus, even animals. How do the counts, dukes, duchess, Kings and Queens make contracts that support minor human interaction but prevent large scale intervention. Example I build a saw mill on my plot of land near a forest and cut it all down, I would assume that the count would not be happy with me. However, if I was just cutting down one tree because I needed it to keep my family warm in the winter I don't think he/she would care to much.

If you're a count+ please let me know how you plan on dealing with the situation as well as how you plan on enforcing it. Also assume that some players will not sign contracts for rights to use the land do to the ambiguity of laws and regulations concerning the use of the public domain.

Thank you!

Luna server. Brudvir, Mayor/Shipwright/Lumberjack/Hunter. Kingdom Vornair, Duchy Dawn's Reach, county Penhook Bridge, Town: Amber Harbor, Currently, have 2500 EP at my disposal to develop my business. Friend Code: AB0DD0

4/25/2019 10:20:19 PM #1

How do we deal with the tragedy of the commons? Without enclosure? Good question.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

4/25/2019 10:32:16 PM #2

Let me start by saying that I'm not a Count or above so this is merely an opinion, but I think that one of the duties/responsibilities of a Count should be eliminating the ambiguity of the laws and regulations that you speak about in regards to the use of public lands.

It should not be ambiguous if the Count is doing their job correctly. Clear guidelines that are properly distributed to the population are the first step. Then fair and impartial enforcement of them should follow.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

4/26/2019 8:15:24 AM #3

This matter, I believe, will become clear only after the actual launch. Of course, the people in position of power can (and probably will) determine the law, clarifying the use of common resources.

However, one can expect, that some players won't abide by th rules, in which case there will be a clash between the egoists and the rest of community. The result is impossible to determine as it relies on too many factors.

One must remember that, regardless how complex, COE is still a game. Certain elements will be simplified, at least at the beginning.

Which means that, for example, if resources like trees are implemented like nodes in other MMO and replenish quickly, there will be no reason to regulate them in the first place.

4/26/2019 3:42:25 PM #4

That’s a good thought experiment, but yes it’s basically a tragedy of the commons type situation.

In this particular case I could appoint a ranger of the forest that can mark trees for cutting, and only marked trees may be cut down. I don’t know if there’s a way to keep track of who cut down how many trees, and if that will be necessary, but at least the ranger will prevent people from cutting down too many trees in total. (Although in the case one asshole cuts down every available tree all the time and leave nothing for anyone else, the system may need to be revised a little).

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/26/2019 4:44:45 PM #5

Posted By SupervoidFilament at 04:15 AM - Fri Apr 26 2019

This matter, I believe, will become clear only after the actual launch. Of course, the people in position of power can (and probably will) determine the law, clarifying the use of common resources.

However, one can expect, that some players won't abide by th rules, in which case there will be a clash between the egoists and the rest of community. The result is impossible to determine as it relies on too many factors.

One must remember that, regardless how complex, COE is still a game. Certain elements will be simplified, at least at the beginning.

Which means that, for example, if resources like trees are implemented like nodes in other MMO and replenish quickly, there will be no reason to regulate them in the first place.

Unless you re-plant, the tree is simply gone, it is not a node that automatically renews.

4/26/2019 5:11:09 PM #6

@SupervoidFilament as Ersatz said, resources don’t magically replenish. This is more of a problem for ores, which cannot be renewed, but trees will only reappear if you either replant them or they spread naturally, the latter of which is too slow to be reasonably relied on. Conservation groups have already formed, and there will be a simplified genetics system for plants and animals. If you read the latest dev journal (about farming), you’ll get a better idea of it than I can explain. I’m sure people will breed trees that grow a greater biomass in a shorter time, and I’m sure they’ll deal with whatever downsides arise as a result of that selective breeding, but resource management will be a critical issue for the community to deal with.

4/26/2019 5:24:55 PM #7

Posted By zimmah at 11:42 AM - Fri Apr 26 2019

In this particular case I could appoint a ranger of the forest that can mark trees for cutting, and only marked trees may be cut down. I don’t know if there’s a way to keep track of who cut down how many trees, and if that will be necessary, but at least the ranger will prevent people from cutting down too many trees in total. (Although in the case one asshole cuts down every available tree all the time and leave nothing for anyone else, the system may need to be revised a little).

That may work even better if a law is passed to so that merchants will only buy marked wood, and that mark is hard to fake. Undoubtedly a black market will form, and rare wood might be smuggled out of the region, in addition to not stopping a pine poacher from using the wood for their own needs. However, the majority of potential log lifters would be dissuaded from sycamore stealing.