COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Adventurer's Guild (Elyria-Wide) NA-W

What is an 'Adventurer's Guild'?

At its simplest level, an adventurer's guild is a service that connects parties who need some stuff done with the parties who are capable or willing to do said stuff. An adventurer's guild is the OG temp agency. It is a tool. But the efficacy of this tool is immeasurable. It creates an undisputable benchmark, across Kingdom borders, to measure the usefulness of a single individual and their ability to effectuate change. No matter what strength your kingdom uses to evaluate their individuals - an impartial agency holds the same standards across the board. These rankings aren't simply 'how well you can hit something while not getting hit' but how well you can adapt and overcome obstacles. Essentially, an adventurer is the original temp worker - a merchant that trades his labor for goods and other services. It can be a tool of immeasurable value to a small settlement which lacks the resources to complete a task or a kingdom which simply lacks a certain talent. It also allows talented individuals a market to enrich themselves without being forced to align with a specific group or cabal.

Details

I'll be uploading details as I monitor feedback from kingdoms. This is an idea that I have thoroughly thought of and realized will only be effective if there is a single recognized adventurer's guild across Elyria. While all branches need not be under the control of a singular person, it ensures that benchmarks are in place, as well as protocol sovereignty is respected. It also makes it less challenging to promote requests across kingdom boundaries. A single controlling group also prevents branches from being enthralled in local politics. While a single entity need not control all branches, branches should still operate from the same guidelines and principles.

5/5/2019 9:36:15 PM #1

Actually, what you have here could definitely work. I agree that the Adventurers Guild (AG) needs to have one set standard that all branches of the AG need to follow so here is what I believe will work to facilitate that.

Idea:

There will be a High Adventurers Guild (HAG) council of 22 members, one per kingdom/region on the map per server. They will be the ones to manage the overall climate, rules, regulations, etc of the AG for all of Elyria. Below the HAG council will be the AG council which is one member per duchy in each kingdom that reports to their respective member of the HAG. For issues befitting Elyria as a whole, people can bring their quests to the HAG council. Each kingdom can bring their quests to their respective HAG member while each Duchy and below can bring their quests to their respective AG member.

In order for the AG to have any ball really rolling in terms of change, the HAG needs to approve it. That however doesn't mean that the AG can't make small changes to the way they run their own section. A prime example is how say one duchy could be focused heavily on assisting a villages from bandits and the like so that AG's main quests are in the form of enlisting combat personnel for a specific battle, where as another duchy could be focused on exploration or the like so that's what that AG's main quests are in the form of. I expect the first example's Guild Hall (GH) to look a little bit more grungy and the second GH to look a lot more...map...oriented. I expect the first ones AG leader to be somewhat direct and have more of a..."Grr"...factor that also happens to be better with people, while the second AG leader to be more on the lines of a serious explorer who sees people as a tool to extract the information from the next site.

Just something that we as a community and entity within CoE need to decide on, sooner rather than later.

5/5/2019 9:55:31 PM #2

Honest question. Why would you need to coordinate adventuring across such vast distances? And for that matter, why would someone have any interest in what is happening in a part of the game world they themselves are not playing in to the extent that they want to provide a service for it?

Adventuring guilds strike me as one of those things that really don't need to scale up like that and in fact are extremely localized in their purpose. Each biome, for instance, is going to have very different characteristics and therefore different opportunities for adventuring. And most adventuring is probably going to occur spontaneously anyway. Players will buy some supplies and just head out of the settlement into the great beyond.

5/5/2019 10:19:08 PM #3

Posted By Hieronymus at 5:55 PM - Sun May 05 2019

Honest question. Why would you need to coordinate adventuring across such vast distances? And for that matter, why would someone have any interest in what is happening in a part of the game world they themselves are not playing in to the extent that they want to provide a service for it?

Adventuring guilds strike me as one of those things that really don't need to scale up like that and in fact are extremely localized in their purpose. Each biome, for instance, is going to have very different characteristics and therefore different opportunities for adventuring. And most adventuring is probably going to occur spontaneously anyway. Players will buy some supplies and just head out of the settlement into the great beyond.

Response

The purpose is to have a tool readily available. This tool is not just for individual players but for rulers, as well.

What happens when a monster (a lich, undead curse, crazed magical NPC/Player with a talent) razes your kingdom? Especially when you do not have the resources within your kingdom to deal with it? Would you bend yourself over a barrel and beg other kingdoms for help? Would you use alliances and strain relationships and compel aid? And do you really think foreign powers would really give a damn enough about you to risk their power- that they have painstakingly spent the time to build - with no clear benefit? Do you throw all your hard-earned meagre resources into a wildfire that you don't certainly know will be resolved?

Originally players would not know of the opportunities available to them and their specific skillsets abroad unless they are closely, ultra-mega, in bed with groups, powers, persons that have a far reach or meta-game. This forces players into guilds, militant factions, parties, etc. which they may not want to join and which may be restrictive. Information is important.

If an emergency were to happen in one part of the map, a ruler would never know that a non-legendary person in another part of kingdom, or Elyria would be able to help. There is no established means to do this. Or should each ruler spend the funds to establish the infrastructure to message every person in Elyria every time he needs help. Heavens knows how hard and far he will have to look and the costs of it too.

And again, the individual benefit is immeasurable. As a farmer who needs a temporary field hand to reap his fields. As a scholar who needs an armored guard from city A to city B. As a lord who needs a pesky group of bandits removed from his lands.

And besides, there are lots of auxiliary services that can be offered once you have a well-established group such as an adventurer's guild. I'm going to roll out more information and ideas after DSS and lengthy talks with monarchs and noblemen. But to give an idea, I'm already in charge of the library of the Mage's Guild and intend to have libraries throughout Elyria, offering and collecting basic information, selling curated book sets on skills, and providing simply things such as newspapers.

Note

There are guilds already established in the game but they serve to allow for like-minded people to congregate and interact. The adventurer's guild is like eBay, Monster, Indeed, Craigslist - you get the idea. It's structured to be an efficient tool to get you what you need, no matter what you are

Guilds can post their own requests. An alchemy guild can have a standing post to gather herbs. A blacksmithing guild can have a standing post for ores. An explorer's guild looking for people specialized in certain combat, or with certain skills to help them in a new, dangerous region. This centralized forum ensures that as many people can see these requests because everyone knows where to look.

P.S.

This is also a good tool for migrants who are looking to establish themselves in regions or traveler's needing quick cash. A resource like this makes it even more compelling to find legitimate sources of money when you're tapped out instead of robbing and raiding.

5/5/2019 11:21:45 PM #4

Posted By Spinam at 5:19 PM - Sun May 05 2019

The purpose is to have a tool readily available. This tool is not just for individual players but for rulers, as well.

What happens when a monster (a lich, undead curse, crazed magical NPC/Player with a talent) razes your kingdom? Especially when you do not have the resources within your kingdom to deal with it? Would you bend yourself over a barrel and beg other kingdoms for help? Would you use alliances and strain relationships and compel aid?

In the scenario you described, I think I could probably just post on this forum that there's been a monster sighting, describe the havoc that it's been wreaking, and almost everyone with a sword would want to come and try to kill it. Still others will come because they just want to see it. :D

What am I missing?

When it comes to catastrophic events or incidents of banditry, in a game like CoE, I don't foresee people turning to mega-guilds as the answer to their prayers, if such a guild could even exist. A guild of the size you're suggesting would be viewed as a serious threat to the sovereignty of kingdoms.

So, I really think the "guilds" are the kingdoms themselves with their respective power structures (nobles, aristocrats, barons, sheriffs, judges, etc) that are responsible for providing security, or to draw a more proper analogy, the branches in your adventuring guild concept. That's how CoE is setup, anyway, with players filling in the hierarchy and AI picking up the rest of the slack. So for smaller scale problems, you can issue orders to players or put out bounties. For global threats, kingdoms will collaborate to save their own lives, or they'll die.

For the more mundane things - the odd jobs - these are entirely localized, as most jobs are in the real world. And in Elyria, a tavern could easily function as an Adventurer Guild, since they already serve as a central hub within settlements. If we have the tools in-game to introduce a "job board", I think that'll be what's used. Otherwise, people will turn to actual Adventurer's Guilds to fulfill that role. But it's very much a localized thing that doesn't need to scale up in the way you're thinking.

Anyway, I admire your ambition and desire to think big. We may simply disagree on whether a guild of this magnitude is actually a necessary commodity.

5/6/2019 12:09:06 AM #5

The purpose of this is to keep immersion, as I said. The forums are useful but are a meta-game monster in a game like this. It also wastes time and effort placed by SBS into developing communication mechanics and doesn't allow us to interact with NPCs. Quests are contracts. Contracts are offered by NPCs. The devs have said, repeatedly and probably with frustration, that you cannot exclude in-game communication or ignore the importance of NPCs.

And realistically, there are going thousands of players per duchy. Having a decentralized system such as 'the local tavern' is going to make information sharing impossible. This doesn't attempt to supersede or make those local elememts obsolete, but allows players in remote parts of the world to challenge natural isolationism.

This promotes transparency, improves security for everyone in every kingdom, allows rulers to see what type of powerful people and resources they can buy or recruit. (I know I keep stressing these obvious points but other auxiliary services are still being tweaked and we're waiting on DSS to finalize.)

Just imagine a world today with no internet. This isn't an equivalent, but it's a step towards globalism that will make the experience for players easier and more enjoyable but offer more resources to take advantage off to monarchs.

11/26/2019 12:11:11 AM #6

I looked through 14 pages of posts after searching for Adventurer Guild and didn't find this post.. I then spent multiple hours crafting this thread:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34320/the-making-of-an-adventurers-guild

I just now found this thread and I think our ideas are very similar. Would you like to collaborate with me in actualizing something so wonderful?

11/26/2019 12:23:07 AM #7

This all sounds like something that could be accomplished through someone pinging a discord server that there's a monster to be killed somewhere.

Immersion breaking or not, discord will be faster than anything you can roleplay. If you do not use it, by the time your adventurers arrive it will probably be handled.

11/26/2019 12:39:41 AM #8

That is certainly an ambitious project, good luck!

11/26/2019 12:42:00 AM #9

Posted By Vucar at 5:23 PM - Mon Nov 25 2019

This all sounds like something that could be accomplished through someone pinging a discord server that there's a monster to be killed somewhere.

Immersion breaking or not, discord will be faster than anything you can roleplay. If you do not use it, by the time your adventurers arrive it will probably be handled.

certainly, the discord magic could be used to post notices in other settlements.

however, discord "there is a monster here" doesn't allow for contracts, rewards, etc. Combining the two would be better than not. However, using a contract provides more benefits.

Lets say, a count has a problem with monsters overcrowding a forest and wants them killed, or for whatever reason. the count could post it in discord and hope that people volunteer and donate their time, and it only be seen by those in discord.

or the count could post a subjugation request with the guild, offering to pay the guild 100 for proof of 10 specific monsters killed. The guild could then pay adventurers 10 for each monster killed.