COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Sometimes all it takes to S H I N E is a little polish

Hail Elyrians!

This has been a hectic week! Earlier in the week we released the Domain & Settlement Selection site in read only mode for your review! It’s not a shiny, but it definitely is shiny, all the same. Check it out if you haven’t yet! With the D&SS maps finalized, this here Snipehunter has a little more time to review the game on this, the shiniest of days. I found a couple of things that… if you’ll pardon the pun… shone out from the rest. Let’s have a look!

I think my favorite cool thing from the week was probably seeing all the polish work going into combat. I’ve mentioned combat a few times in these here shiny posts, which I hope has hammered home how much of a focus it is for me, and for a big piece of the design team. We’re not building a game centered around combat, but the fantasy genre and sword & sorcery adventure go hand-in-hand. It would be hard to imagine the world of Elyria without the occasional buckled swash, you know? So, I constantly check in on the work being done to get combat up to snuff, just to make sure things are going where we expect them to. Lately our focus has been around applying things like VFX and audio cues to the combat experience both to “liven it up” and to make sure that folks have ways to know what to expect when they press the attack buttons.

VFX (Visual special FX for those that aren’t familiar with acronym VFX) are a funny thing; we have this tendency to think of them solely as eye candy, but in almost every 3D video game on the market today, I guarantee there is at least one instance of VFX being used explicitly in the service of game mechanics. CoE is no exception; while we want VFX to “punch up” the overall experience, they’re also often acting as hints and indicators. And, of course, for those who don’t pay much attention to the visuals, or who can’t, audio cues are just as important. Audio cues, input mechanics, combat animations, and VFX all work together in a complicated dance to make sure combat looks good and feeds your intuition so that it “Feels right” to use. We’re well on our way to orchestrating that dance now, and that makes me very happy.

You know what else makes me happy? Finding a basement entrance in a ruined church and clicking on it and expecting to transition into the dungeon generation test level, a stark white world of pure geometry, only to instead find myself in a dark hallway of the ruined basement of an actual church! Sure, there is still work to do, but from my perspective we went from nothing to playable in the blink of an eye. Talk about gratifying! Well, I think that’s it for this shiny day. I hope you enjoyed it everyone!

I’ll see you next week, but until then…

Stay Shiny my friends!

• Snipehunter
8/23/2019 2:48:01 PM #46

Looking better each day!

8/24/2019 1:19:05 AM #47

Posted By Lethality at 6:57 PM - Thu Aug 22 2019

Seriously, that combat looks like it "feels" good already, if that's possible (to look like it feels :)

Solid. Tactile. Even visceral.

Eyyy.

\[T]/

8/24/2019 1:20:37 AM #48

Posted By Souzou at 9:19 PM - Fri Aug 23 2019

Posted By Lethality at 6:57 PM - Thu Aug 22 2019

Seriously, that combat looks like it "feels" good already, if that's possible (to look like it feels :)

Solid. Tactile. Even visceral.

Eyyy.

#FREETHECLIENT

8/24/2019 2:21:58 AM #49

Very Nice!! Thank you for sharing this...

8/24/2019 3:26:29 AM #50

Posted By MarjuGarzet at 12:42 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

That looks really cool. Question: In a dungeon, when you're walking with a torch, will you be able to light the chandeliers/other lightsources in the dungeon?

You can, provided they have fuel if they are the type of light source that needs it (e.g. oil in a lantern, wax and wick left on a candle, that sort of thing). You basically use your torch when you interact with the light source, which is based on what hand it's in. (e.g. you press ctrl+"left hand" to use your left hand object with the thing in the world under your reticle)

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/24/2019 3:35:38 AM #51

This has increased my excitement level. The dungeon is looking cool, and some of the aspects of combat looked awesome. I do have one trepidation from this, but it's mitigated in the same video. Icepick grip is a very bad way to wield a sword. The fact that the character swapped the sword to an actual sword grip before striking was good, and the mitigating factor, for me. The way human bio-mechanics work, icepick reduces your reach, weakens any cuts you would throw, and limits your angles of presenting thrusts, on top of making it significantly harder to prevent a passive threat to your opponent between attacks. It makes sense for off-hand stabbing weapons, though because it does allow for very powerful downward stabs. The fact that this seems to have been taken in mind, since the attacks all had the character flip the grip first excites me, though. My fear is that fighting against an enemy who presents the point of their own sword between attacks will not sufficiently penalize someone who insists on taking the time to flip their sword around needlessly between their attacks. The animations themselves are looking cool, though, and the lighting effects are really nice.

Edit: That addendum about lighting light sources is awesome.

8/24/2019 5:56:06 AM #52

Posted By Snipehunter at 10:26 PM - Fri Aug 23 2019

That looks really cool. Question: In a dungeon, when you're walking with a torch, will you be able to light the chandeliers/other lightsources in the dungeon?

You can, provided they have fuel if they are the type of light source that needs it (e.g. oil in a lantern, wax and wick left on a candle, that sort of thing). You basically use your torch when you interact with the light source, which is based on what hand it's in. (e.g. you press ctrl+"left hand" to use your left hand object with the thing in the world under your reticle)

Can you currently do that in one of these tests? Or is it still too early for that? (Not trying to sound sarcastic)

Also another question, just wondering if all the mechanics can be used in every test. Or is each one a new testing zone to try a different mechanic. Like this is the combat testing ground, for example. Or are all the mechanics present all the time?

If you like alchemy, settle in Amestrys. If you can find it...(NA-E)

8/24/2019 11:17:45 AM #53

I really like the art-style of the Pre-Elyria client. Wouldn't bother me if it made it to release although maybe with a bit of polishing.

8/24/2019 1:27:15 PM #54

Great effort guys for sharing this shiny. I do have a couple of questions:

1) Can we alternate between locked on and free form combat?

2) Can we determine if our strike will be slow and heavy vs fast and light damage?

3) Can we decide from which angle our strikes will be or it is already a fixed set of fancy animations?

4) Will that slash of white and yellow sparks for impact be permanent or we can have an option to remove them?

thank you.

8/24/2019 2:19:41 PM #55

Posted By Snipehunter at 11:26 PM - Fri Aug 23 2019

That's all implemented in your client, right now?

8/24/2019 2:35:04 PM #56

A quick question/feedback because seeing this feels good:

What happens when your energy is depleted?

Most people praise the Souls, but even if they have good points their combat system is in my opinion frustrating because when you energy is depleted, they remove your ability to protect yourself. You're stuck with walking around. You have no more interesting decision to make until your energy comes back. It basically kicks you out of the combat system. In consequence, during a fight your main focus is on managing a damn energy bar instead. They did this for instance, in Conan exiles, and if I understand why it’s still a coherent choice in a Dark souls, the result in an MMO is weird and frustrating. When you fight multiple opponents, you need an amount of energy for dodging their attacks proportional to their number. So at some points you can only use all your energy dodging and don't have anything left to attack at all...

At the opposite I like what they did in Absolver where your main defensive ability is still working when you lose all your energy. It's your attacks which get weaker, until they completely remove your ability to attack for a sec, or so, when your energy reaches 0. So you just switch to a defensive stance, you’re still in the fight.

I wonder where does CoE stands.

Barony of Kern’s gate

8/24/2019 4:53:19 PM #57

Posted By KissShot at 8:13 PM - Thu Aug 22 2019

I love the sounds, and the lock-on mechanic seems like a good idea for melee combat. Only thing I'm worried about is the massive amount of animation lag after doing any attack, and the fact your movement gets completely locked while doing it.

If this were a fighting game, all the attacks with the sword would be heavy attacks meant to be super punishable but powerful, (Smash attacks if you play smash bros). There's no quick jabs for zoning or footsies. Seems like everything locks you into at least a second or more of lag, which is ages when playing a fighting game.

This really needs to be addressed, because it isn't the first combat video I've seen showing these "animation locks" which are extremely rigid and would be a death sentence in a fast paced war zone.

We all know this is WIP but if Snipe/SBS truly wants to make sure this is heading the right direction, we do need to speak up if we think its heading in the wrong direction, and rooted animation locks are the wrong direction.

8/24/2019 5:14:07 PM #58

Posted By Vucar at 09:53 AM - Sat Aug 24 2019

I love the sounds, and the lock-on mechanic seems like a good idea for melee combat. Only thing I'm worried about is the massive amount of animation lag after doing any attack, and the fact your movement gets completely locked while doing it.

If this were a fighting game, all the attacks with the sword would be heavy attacks meant to be super punishable but powerful, (Smash attacks if you play smash bros). There's no quick jabs for zoning or footsies. Seems like everything locks you into at least a second or more of lag, which is ages when playing a fighting game.

This really needs to be addressed, because it isn't the first combat video I've seen showing these "animation locks" which are extremely rigid and would be a death sentence in a fast paced war zone.

We all know this is WIP but if Snipe/SBS truly wants to make sure this is heading the right direction, we do need to speak up if we think its heading in the wrong direction, and rooted animation locks are the wrong direction.

Are you talking about how they are rooted in place during the animation or how you cannot interrupt an attack once you've started it, or both?

8/24/2019 5:23:32 PM #59

Posted By Vucar at 5:53 PM - Sat Aug 24 2019

What I want to know is if these are meant to be 'warrior' styles (i.e. DnD and personal combat even on the battlefield) or 'soldier' styles (massed ranked fighting).

I can see the video's fighting working for adventurers, duelists, bandits, and other 'solo' PVPers but on an actual battlefield, short controlled jabs beat wild swings and leaping thrusts.

Coming Soon(tm)

8/24/2019 8:48:45 PM #60

Sweetness!