COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mayor Packages Explained

Hi everyone!

I've seen quite a few threads from folks with mayor packages recently expressing some confusion about what the mayor package means and what sort of settlement you are supposed to pick, so I wanted to try to clarify that for you, if I can.

Here's how the mayor title works: When a mayor title holder selects a settlement, regardless of its size, they will become the chief executive of that settlement. This means that they will control the majority vote in settlements with voting arrangements, or they will hold the right to administrate the settlement if it uses a different system.

Many seem to think that a mayor must choose a town or they will lose something from their package. The confusion here comes from the fact that the name of the title is "Mayor" and there is also an honorific in the game that uses the same word. The difference is that the honorific "Mayor" is only applied to the chief executive of a town, while the mayor title applies to any player that purchased the right to govern a settlement.

So in that sense it's true that the elders of a hamlet or village aren't called "mayors," but that also means the "mayor" honorific doesn't apply to city or capital level settlement chief executives either, since settlements of those sizes use different honorifics as well. If we were to say that Mayor title holders could only be "Mayors" it would mean that mayor titles could only pick towns, which we certainly never wanted.

In other words, it was never our intention that the mayor title in your inventory would explicitly apply only to towns. You can see this in the description of the title in your inventory:

As that screenshot shows you, what you gain with the mayor title is explicitly stated:

• You will name and govern a settlement
  • You will receive a cloak showing your status as a mayor title holder and your family crest
  • you will gain access to the crest making tool when it is available.

None of that changes no matter which size settlement you settle in. If you settle in a hamlet or village, you will become a elder with the majority vote in the settlement's council, giving you control over the settlement's political decisions. If you settle in a town you will become its "mayor" also giving you control over the settlement's political decisions. If you settle in a city you will become its magistrate, but again you will find yourself in control of the settlement's political decisions. And, finally, if you settle in a capital you will become its governor with, as you can probably guess at this point, control over its political decisions.

Each of these honorifics specify the same thing: You are governing the settlement.

However, while your personal benefits don't change based on the size of the settlement, the different settlement sizes do have different features associated with them. For example, the land management table is a feature of a town or larger sized settlement, so a mayor title holder that settles in a village or a hamlet will need to grow their settlement into a town to enable that feature.

What all of this boils down to in Domain and Settlement Selection is that a mayor can pick any sized settlement without losing anything from their package. There is, however, one rule that will restrict your choices: If the county you are picking your settlement from doesn't yet have a count you cannot pick the last Town+ sized settlement in the county. This does mean that in a county with two settlements, one town and one hamlet, a mayor could only pick the hamlet. But, on the other hand, it also means that in a county with a capital, a town, and 3 hamlets, nothing is stopping a mayor from picking the capital, and leaving the town for a potential count.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/23/2019 5:46:00 PM #16

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 08:29 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

@Snipehunter this is incorrect. To be fair, the package was made before you joined the team but here is the exact wording from the KS package:

Choose your town/stronghold & name it

Original Packages

While we were told some time after KS towns would be sparce, SBS did infact advertise the package during KS and for some time after it, that you got a town. So anyone who donated and isn't keeping up is going to be upset when they come back from KS and see they don't get a town.

I understand it's kind of a what's done is done situation, but the original intent was to give mayor/baron packages a town and was advertised as such.

Edit: You may want to consider just giving sweeping EP bonuses to mayor packages since they don't get that much so they can at least build into a town faster during expo.

I don't understand this point. The kickstarter said "• Choose your town/stronghold & name it³." At that time, the different settlement levels weren't established. "Town" then did not mean what "town" means now. It just meant "generic settlement" -- and people with a mayor level pledge are able to choose their settlement and name it subject to developer approval.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/23/2019 5:46:22 PM #17

Can the issue not be resolved some other way rather than constraining mayor level backers in such a way as to prevent them from selecting town+ settlements?

I'm sure you've thought about other options, but at least from my point of view, an absentee title holder has effectively abandoned their privilege of choosing ahead of others by not showing up (or selecting by proxy) at the appointed hour. So anything could be considered fair game once selection moves on to the next tier, from letting them pick what's left whenever they show up to forcing them into a random spot to melting the package for EP or gift cards. But reserving a spot for them indefinitely seems like a very bad idea for the health of the game.

I also think the number of available count titles is pretty staggering, so much so that it seems genuinely foolish to put needless barriers in front of mayor backers or for that matter limiting existing title holders from purchasing additional titles if they so choose. Can any of these policies be reconsidered?

8/23/2019 5:56:45 PM #18

I'm sure you've thought about other options, but at least from my point of view, an absentee title holder has effectively abandoned their privilege of choosing ahead of others by not showing up (or selecting by proxy) at the appointed hour. So anything could be considered fair game once selection moves on to the next tier, from letting them pick what's left whenever they show up to forcing them into a random spot to melting the package for EP or gift cards. But reserving a spot for them indefinitely seems like a very bad idea for the health of the game.

It seems that there is no issue to upgrade hamlet or village to town for counts and above, so why not allow mayors pick what they want in county, and if there is 1 spot remains, upgrade that to a town if needed and lock for count.

8/23/2019 6:31:53 PM #19

Posted By Abigor at 10:56 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

It seems that there is no issue to upgrade hamlet or village to town for counts and above, so why not allow mayors pick what they want in county, and if there is 1 spot remains, upgrade that to a town if needed and lock for count.

It's better for the game if we artificially adjust settlements as little as possible. We recognize that there are cases where it's necessary, but they are not the majority case. In fact, while the fallback rule to upgrade a hamlet for a count still exists, the world itself actually makes it impossible to happen with our current rules. Part of the reason we arranged things like that is to ensure we artificially intervene as little as possible. There are consequences to upgrading settlements this way, as anyone with a lot of tokens or extra titles can already see when they look at settlements. We don't want to be in a position where making those problems happen is the accepted, normal, practice.

Wherever we can, we'll find ways to solve the ancillary problems these rules cause -- the count upgrade is an example of that, in fact -- but just upgrading any settlement someone picks as needed is a potentially dangerous slippery slope we'd rather avoid navigating, if at all possible.

Posted By Hieronymus at 10:46 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

The rule lasts until the end of DSS, so it is not indefinite. That said, consider it from the perspective of someone who has purchased a count title and already been told both that they can participate in DSS and that they will have a pick window that will begin at their pick time and ends at the end of DSS. Making a change now would not be seen as positive, right? It would feel like we'd taken something from them that they potentially paid for.

Meanwhile, Mayors have been told that settlements will come in multiple sizes and that they may not get to pick the settlement size they want since about 2 weeks after the kickstarter began, and from then on even up to today. Thus, ensuring the count rule doesn't take anything away from anyone, even if it isn't something every mayor will like. That means we get to ensure we don't artificially inflate as many settlements and we do so without actually taking something we've given people back. That's significantly more fair, no? It's also overall better for the game and the health of each server, from a design perspective.

At least, that's been my personal assessment, fwiw.

Hope that helps!

• Snipehunter
8/23/2019 6:49:30 PM #20

Greetings,

I see there are guarantees for the Mayor/Baron that picks a village and becomes an Elder. They can develop it up at some time up to Town and would be able to be Mayors.

Alas, the ones wishing to be Barons will be blocked to sign the contract with the Duke(ess), because that contract is signed with a Mayor that is managing a Town+. That village development solution does not help anyone wishing to be a Baron from the start. I mean the Barons that already have an agreement with their Duke(ess) for the contract.

my thanks,

Countess Arianne de Vannes - Duchy Fenixvalle Marshal - Vornair

8/23/2019 6:49:37 PM #21

How are you planning to handle availability of settlements for Dukes who don't choose before Counts and then Mayors are allowed into DSS? Will Counts be limited in choice in any way in order to leave certain selections open for Dukes?

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

8/23/2019 6:51:59 PM #22

Posted By Snipehunter at 7:31 PM - Fri Aug 23 2019

Posted By Abigor at 10:56 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

It's better for the game if we artificially adjust settlements as little as possible. We recognize that there are cases where it's necessary, but they are not the majority case. In fact, while the fallback rule to upgrade a hamlet for a count still exists, the world itself actually makes it impossible to happen with our current rules. Part of the reason we arranged things like that is to ensure we artificially intervene as little as possible. There are consequences to upgrading settlements this way, as anyone with a lot of tokens or extra titles can already see when they look at settlements. We don't want to be in a position where making those problems happen is the accepted, normal, practice.

Wherever we can, we'll find ways to solve the ancillary problems these rules cause -- the count upgrade is an example of that, in fact -- but just upgrading any settlement someone picks as needed is a potentially dangerous slippery slope we'd rather avoid navigating, if at all possible.

Posted By Hieronymus at 10:46 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

The rule lasts until the end of DSS, so it is not indefinite. That said, consider it from the perspective of someone who has purchased a count title and already been told both that they can participate in DSS and that they will have a pick window that will begin at their pick time and ends at the end of DSS. Making a change now would not be seen as positive, right? It would feel like we'd taken something from them that they potentially paid for.

Meanwhile, Mayors have been told that settlements will come in multiple sizes and that they may not get to pick the settlement size they want since about 2 weeks after the kickstarter began, and from then on even up to today. Thus, ensuring the count rule doesn't take anything away from anyone, even if it isn't something every mayor will like. That means we get to ensure we don't artificially inflate as many settlements and we do so without actually taking something we've given people back. That's significantly more fair, no? It's also overall better for the game and the health of each server, from a design perspective.

At least, that's been my personal assessment, fwiw.

Hope that helps!

Can I ask for the source that stated thst during the kickstarter, all I can find is the faq that states that we get to select out settlements based on Ip. Nothing abiut settlement size.

8/23/2019 6:54:04 PM #23

Posted By Beathan at 1:46 PM - Fri Aug 23 2019

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 08:29 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

@Snipehunter this is incorrect. To be fair, the package was made before you joined the team but here is the exact wording from the KS package:

Choose your town/stronghold & name it

Original Packages

While we were told some time after KS towns would be sparce, SBS did infact advertise the package during KS and for some time after it, that you got a town. So anyone who donated and isn't keeping up is going to be upset when they come back from KS and see they don't get a town.

I understand it's kind of a what's done is done situation, but the original intent was to give mayor/baron packages a town and was advertised as such.

Edit: You may want to consider just giving sweeping EP bonuses to mayor packages since they don't get that much so they can at least build into a town faster during expo.

I don't understand this point. The kickstarter said "• Choose your town/stronghold & name it³." At that time, the different settlement levels weren't established. "Town" then did not mean what "town" means now. It just meant "generic settlement" -- and people with a mayor level pledge are able to choose their settlement and name it subject to developer approval.

Specifically:

At that time, the different settlement levels weren't established.

But they were. They had talked about it prior in the good olde dm21 QnA days and even during the KS they wrote the Noble Land Managment DJ which even further talked about the distinction. And that's when they announced it to the public, meaning it was designed well before the KS started. Im not sure what basis your going off of.

Like I said, what's done is done and if this is direction now then fine I just didn't like that he said "this has always been the intent" because it hasnt and as more ppl come back from KS this will surely become an issue or complaint again.

I don't know anymore.

8/23/2019 7:27:04 PM #24

I wasn't here for the kickstarter, but I've spent a few years in the industry as a consultant and assisted a few companies with their kickstarters. One thing I can tell you: you can't go back and edit the pledge levels. If, say, the jargon change from "towns" to "settlements" happened after the kickstarter went live, the team wouldn't have been able to correct them.

The fact that that DJ came out while the Kickstarter was live implies to me that that's exactly what happened, fwiw.

• Snipehunter
8/23/2019 7:49:20 PM #25

Posted By Snipehunter at 09:52 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

Posted By Abigor at 01:02 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

I have a question about what will happen to villas and manors that come with higher mayor tiers and that also got upgraded last KS anniversary iirc.

It has been said, those buildings are not personal house of a mayor, but more like seat of power for mayors in that settlement with land management table in it (please correct me if I mention something wrong)

How does that translate into mayors picking hamlets or villages? will they lose that building as there is no land management table? or it will still act as a main governing building of village elders, just lacking the table.

The Land management table is in the town hall of a town sized settlement, not the manor. As I understand it, the manor remains the property of the settlement when you leave your position as chief executive though. I will double check that and get back to you, in case I'm wrong about that.

What kind of actual governing we're talking about as village elder? if everything is done via council or voting. What actions are available to village elder besides him having most votes?

As a member of the settlement's council you can present decisions for the settlement (e.g. how to use its parcels, what to build, how to use the settlements resources that aren't being exploited solely at the citizen level, etc.) council to vote on... and with the majority vote, you will be able to accept or reject any such questions put to the council. You are its governing executive. Unless you allow the ratio of vote holders to change and give up your majority, it is functionality equivalent to being the mayor of a town, save you do not have the land use table found in the town hall.

Hope that helps! :)

Can I assume, based off this response, that I'm still going to have my Grand Manor if I pick a hamlet or Village? I'm picturing a tiny cluster of buildings hidden in the shadow of my opulent manor.

NA-W, Governor of Ogralyn

8/23/2019 7:52:34 PM #26

Posted By Snipehunter at 8:27 PM - Fri Aug 23 2019

I wasn't here for the kickstarter, but I've spent a few years in the industry as a consultant and assisted a few companies with their kickstarters. One thing I can tell you: you can't go back and edit the pledge levels. If, say, the jargon change from "towns" to "settlements" happened after the kickstarter went live, the team wouldn't have been able to correct them.

The fact that that DJ came out while the Kickstarter was live implies to me that that's exactly what happened, fwiw.

Do you have a link to the source that stated the mayors/barons wouldn't all get a town and would be relegated to village elder?

I'm still struggling to find it and you know evidence is good

8/23/2019 8:54:45 PM #27

I guess it's possible the terms changed but in DJs written before KS he also uses the terms City, Hamlet, Town, village,etc so he at least knew they were different before finalizing the KS. I also believe he used the terms in the QnA before the KS when describing settlement but I would need to roll them back from my QnA playlist but they are 1.5 hours each :/

Edit: Ik your not caspian so you don't know his thought process but can we both see how using these separate terms before KS, then during the KS publishing an article further confirming that town is it's own thing may give mayors the impression they got to choose a town when the package says "choose a town and name it".

It doesn't really impact me personally but I'm starting to feel bad for some the people I see in the community coming back and being like "wait a minute...where are the towns?" in my discords

I don't know anymore.

8/24/2019 4:40:05 AM #28

is it possible for a count to pick a village in an area where there is a town but save the town for their mayor? if not is there a way for them to trade after launch?

Friend Code: 6DEF22

8/24/2019 5:34:44 AM #29

@snipehunter if you upgrade to the count via the store would you be able to pick the last settlement in a county?

Baron Rulke Fjord

8/24/2019 6:37:49 AM #30

Hey Snipe,

Two quick questions -

as mentioned before an elder has majority share of any X number of parcels of the total nearby area of land. In order for the Town/Village/Capital to function the council will hold a meeting in the Town hall for what needs to change.

Question 1 : Who sets when the council makes these call's and in the event that the majority (land holder) is absent do they simple move forward with the votes for who is present ?

"random thoughts section" This seems as though it would be a good way to take land for personal use in the short term causing economic instability while the OPC is either sleeping or tasked with various other uses. Another use would be to simply "delay" the arrival of a member to adjust the vote.

Never the Less, Off to Question 2:

Do mayor packages have to used in areas with the documented tribe they wish to play? or can we place with friends in one area and have a family size tribe (not listed on DSS maps) at that location at launch ?