COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Only lightly followed since kickstarter... feeling overwhelmed

I've been lightly following development progress, but this whole Domain & settlement selection thing and all of the other pre-actual-game stuff is getting a bit overwhelming.

I've seen that there's also been some "community events..." but in my mind community events are special events that happen in a game itself and involve players. But this seemed to be purely forum-driven or something?

Here's what I want: To be able to wait until beta begins, login, and start playing. What I DON'T want to have to do is make potentially game-altering decisions before I've even made a character; but it seems that I have no choice or I'll be left in the dust, so-to-speak.

So I guess my question is... where do I even begin? What is this settlement selection all about? How much of the game am I expected to understand before beta starts?

Also I'm really not sure how I feel about this whole "buy influence so you can have a better starting position and more land and be a mayor etc etc etc". Sounds a lot like p2w if you ask me.

8/27/2019 11:25:25 PM #1

Its for Mayor+ to pick their domain/settlement to rule at launch

I.e monarchs choose where on the map they want their kingdom to be, dukes to their duchy, etc.

also influence order has been locked in and participants can't move their pick time up anymore

You have nothing to worry about, just shiny maps to look at

Mayor of Gartalia, A short distance south of the Holy Capital of Victrovia, Melonia - Friend Code: 464345

8/27/2019 11:42:12 PM #2

Ok, so as I'm scrolling around the D&SS map... none of that matters? I don't have to worry about picking an actual plot of land? There's a lot of "Parcels" in each town - do those not get pre-picked? How is it decided where I end up living when I start playing?

Also looking at the "Professions" for each area - a) what's the difference between "top" and "notable" (and how are these decided?) And b) Do blacksmiths not exist in this game? Are engineers the "blacksmith" of elyria?

8/27/2019 11:48:27 PM #3

Only have to be involved if you are a mayor or higher. At the end of DSS there will also be an opportunity to bid on the remaining settlements if you like.

8/27/2019 11:51:34 PM #4

Posted By Zifnab at 4:42 PM - Tue Aug 27 2019

Ok, so as I'm scrolling around the D&SS map... none of that matters? I don't have to worry about picking an actual plot of land? There's a lot of "Parcels" in each town - do those not get pre-picked? How is it decided where I end up living when I start playing?

When Expostion starts, you spark into a character anywhere you want, the family you spark into adopts your name resevation

though it might be before then if SbS uses the server maps during Beta 1 and 2, though that I don't know, but in short: you don't have to worry about where you start yet

Also looking at the "Professions" for each area - a) what's the difference between "top" and "notable" (and how are these decided?) And b) Do blacksmiths not exist in this game? Are engineers the "blacksmith" of elyria?

The thing is the "Top" and "Notable" professions don't cover all the professions in a settlement, also depends on what biome you're looking (I.E you're more like to find "animal tamers" in the broadleaf forest biome)

EDIT: Also Vigorash is refering to "the dutch auction" where bloodline plus can try obtaining a mayor+ title at discount prices, the domain/settlement has to be unclaimed though

Mayor of Gartalia, A short distance south of the Holy Capital of Victrovia, Melonia - Friend Code: 464345

8/27/2019 11:52:45 PM #5

You only have to worry if you have a Mayor/Baron package or higher, as this will determine where your settlement will be. No date yet on when picking happens, but suspected to be soon.

If you aren't picking a settlement, you can choose to live where ever you want later on.

As we understand it, "Top" essentially means "most populous", and "Notable" are less common. Its expected that the npc professions of settlements will change over time after launch. And yes blacksmiths do exist.

8/27/2019 11:53:09 PM #6

In addition to what NightTarot said, pay-to-win isn't really a... thing. Like, yeah, mayors on up get lands and things, but there's lots of time and responsibilities that go with that. There are plenty of folks who WANT to play "peasants" - farmers, explorers, smiths, tavern owners, and dozens of other professions. At this point, just pick your server (usually based on location), see what kingdoms there are, what smaller communities (the counties and duchies) are there, and get involved in those. If nothing else, you'll make friends in the meantime, and they'll keep you updated on what you need to know.

8/28/2019 12:48:04 AM #7

The friendships I have made while following this game since kickstarter are worth the investment alone. Just went on a cruise in June with some COE friends i have never met and it was truly an amazing time

8/28/2019 7:34:22 AM #8

Another point is that every phase through Beta II will be wiped. Permanent character stuff only really happens starting with Exposition, and there is supposed to be a phase called Kingdoms of Elyria where nobility and others so interested can flesh out the history of their dynasties and realms.

8/28/2019 1:21:45 PM #9

Zif. Judging by your forum rank, you kickstartered below mayor, so you will not need to worry about domain selection. However, you might want to take a look at the maps and races and make some rough plans on where you will start. As for professions, the map shows what professions the NPCs in that area already have. Blacksmith IS in there, but it is uncommon in some kingdoms. Iron is apparently only one of the potential ores represented by the icon, so look for blacksmith or founder in settlements with ore. Either way, things may change once exposition happens and the settlements get customized by their owners.

8/28/2019 3:35:17 PM #10

The question you are asking depends on your playstyle. As this is a sandbox style game, the definition of winning depends on your personal goals, not arbitrary goals defined by the game. You could win by becoming a monarch who rules all the land. You could win by being the wealthiest mayor who swims through piles of gold like scrooge mcduck. You could win by being the most notorious raider. Or maybe you win by being the first to discover a new continent and name it after your great aunt hilda. How you define the way you want to play determines whether domain and settlement selection is important to you, or whether buying a nicer package moves you closer to winning.

8/28/2019 4:22:48 PM #11

In fact many people will not be interested in 'winning.' There is no end-game that everyone needs to race towards competitively...you may simply want to concentrate on starting as that lowly blacksmith, training up possibly into a Master Blacksmith or whatever...selling your wares in a town or city...getting rich and famous?.

The main aim is to enjoy playing the game you want to. There is an actual 'Story' specific to you - related to what signs and so on were in the stars or whatever, the day and time your character was born...So occasionally, the game will present you with the choice of, say, discovering or rescuing something or someone. It's entirely your choice to follow those promptings or not. If you are happy concentrating on a blacksmithing career, then that's fine. There are going to be many players and NPCs around whom you'll interact with as much or as minimally as you wish, as you go along. Again your choice. Enjoy the game!

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

8/31/2019 4:29:47 AM #12

Correct me if I am wrong but as I see it Exposition is only for the Mayors on up to populate their areas; actual characters do not start until the game starts. The reason I say this is the WARDS should then be able to get into their game but this cant happen as their is no infrastructure; no infrastructure no players. Exposition is 3 months I think; once all the NPCs and roads and lands are in place, the game begins.

The Time To Travel Is Now

Friend Code: 650C5C

8/31/2019 4:42:16 AM #13

Posted By LordHawkins at 9:29 PM - Fri Aug 30 2019

Correct me if I am wrong but as I see it Exposition is only for the Mayors on up to populate their areas; actual characters do not start until the game starts. The reason I say this is the WARDS should then be able to get into their game but this cant happen as their is no infrastructure; no infrastructure no players. Exposition is 3 months I think; once all the NPCs and roads and lands are in place, the game begins.

Gentry (Bloodline+) can also participate in Exposition. Exposition is the only time that Exposition Points (EP) can be used, and Gentry get EP with their packages, so....

This means that Proprietors, Settlers, and Bloodline can set up businesses and farms, and purchase tools with which to ply trades, in Exposition. What this does for the game is allow a player-involved economy to be present at Launch.

9/2/2019 12:56:44 PM #14

zif it can be overwhelming for sure. espeically since this game is a bit different. imma try to make this easy by skipping a lot of things.

since u got basic kickstarter that isnt intrested in being a mayor or higher to manage towns and tax rates.. but want to craft, soldier, wander and do the other things that the game's first dev journals appealed to you.... then u can. u dont have to worry about this current dss.

but if u see events like the earlier plague event or the vault event.. take part in those via the webpage cos they give ur account some goodies u can later use in game when it launches.

now if u find another gaming friend has also joined the game and is mayor or up and will be administrating some spot on the map.. then u can start ur life in that area.

if u dont know any of ur other game freinds being here.. its ok. i would suggest forget about kingdoms and all that since u are intrested in parts of the game that have nothing to do with tax and adminstration.... and start looking at the tribes and thier strengths and weaknesses in the dev blogs.

shortlist what races u wanna experience. once you have done that.. use the current map thats being used by those who want to administer places and chk out which areas in different parts of the continent has a tribal mix.

ALso shortlist what type of crafts thru ur various lives u may wanna maybe dabble in. if one or two crafts arnt something the tribes u have shortlisted are good at... then chk which tribes are good at those.. and this is what you may wanna do....

say u shortlisted tribe B and C. and crafts X and Y to try out. But both tribes B and C suck at craft Y. But rechking tribe blogs we see tribe D is good at craft Y. so chk the map with this info.. and see which cities or zones have B, C and D.

this maybe another way u can utilise the info in the dss maps and ignore what kingdom, duchy and all that other crap.. since u are playing the game for other reasons that appealed to u.

Hope that helps to get you to shortlist some areas u may wanna start ur adventure. once u shortlist some areas.. u can then become curious on whose administering it and if that helps the type of game u wanna play -- more crafts, more production, more exploration with trade, more foraging exploration, more economy and peace.. or more tension and violence.

good luck <3

the game needs some preparation done by players before it launches.. since its a lot different from other games. if u dont mind any type of game in the area u land - tension, fishing, caves and mountains, farmlands, land trade, sea trade, wildnerness, not much wilderness.. if none of that matter.. then just log in during beta or launch and pick a soul during char creation with areas and tribes being random.