COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
EP Store and Ownership

Hey everyone,

I have started to wonder, who owns the positions purchased during Exposition in the EP-Store?

Lets look at what a Mayor may purchase: Livestock, Seeds, Land, Buildings.

So Land I can figure out and assume, it will be incorporated into the settlement and the Mayor gets voting rights equal to its amount?

Buildings: Does the Mayor own the deed to these and need to make sure all required personal is hired for running it?

Livestock and Seeds: Are they the Mayors property? What if he wants the rest of the town to use them for Farming and Livestock keeping? Can the be marked "community property" with the contract system?

Lets look at a Count.

He can purchase stuff like roads and other infrastructure for the county I imagine? (what can he actually purchase, thats different from a mayor?)

Does he own the road or is he simply tasked with maintaining it? Does owning mean he can collect road tax?

Do any of you, maybe even the devs, have some answers for me?

Cheers,

10/14/2019 6:27:09 PM #31

give us moore to buy thank you <3

Friend Code A81A5F

10/14/2019 7:27:30 PM #32

Posted By ShadowTani at 10:19 AM - Mon Oct 14 2019

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 4:35 PM - Mon Oct 14 2019

What stops the mayor from incorporating their EP parcels then selling them back to themselves?

What stops a majority mayor from having the settlement buy his parcels at high price while letting him retain both user rights and gain votes to begin with when incorporating the parcel? Unless there's a veto function for other council members then he will technically be able to do anything without being opposed, including accepting contracts that is highly favorable to himself. That's the natural weakness with someone having a majority vote: the settlement will obviously be vulnerable to embezzlement.

The question is what can the citizens do if they suspect their mayor is unfairly funneling money into his own pockets rather than distributing that money back into the settlement as is expected of him? We haven't really heard much about any revolt mechanics and such, but one would think there should be potential for repercussions there.

Caspian talked about this in another post. With enough support from surrounding mayor,count ect... you can forcefully remove them just takes time

10/15/2019 4:47:01 AM #33

Posted By Amras at

Hey everyone,

I have started to wonder, who owns the positions purchased during Exposition in the EP-Store?

Lets look at what a Mayor may purchase: Livestock, Seeds, Land, Buildings.

So Land I can figure out and assume, it will be incorporated into the settlement and the Mayor gets voting rights equal to its amount?

Buildings: Does the Mayor own the deed to these and need to make sure all required personal is hired for running it?

Livestock and Seeds: Are they the Mayors property? What if he wants the rest of the town to use them for Farming and Livestock keeping? Can the be marked "community property" with the contract system?

Lets look at a Count.

He can purchase stuff like roads and other infrastructure for the county I imagine? (what can he actually purchase, thats different from a mayor?)

Does he own the road or is he simply tasked with maintaining it? Does owning mean he can collect road tax?

Do any of you, maybe even the devs, have some answers for me?

Cheers,

As mayor you are the manager of your settlement so yes you will need to hire NPC workers for the businesses in your settlement. You need to talk with your Count to find out what he or she is going to do in support of the County.

As mayor you decide what to do with the seeds or other materials you get for your town. I bought items to give to my citizens to level their skill and provide for the settlement. I will expect them to use a majority for profit but also provide me with a portion so that I can share throughout the settlement for other businesses' profit. So while not technically community property, I will be giving seeds to my farmers or honey to my doctors.

10/18/2019 10:42:20 AM #34

Posted By jonnyz at 04:38 AM - Sat Sep 14 2019

Just to throw this in there, but who's to say you can't own land that is incorporated into a settlement? Incorporation doesn't necessarily have to mean you've ceded ownership. Rather, it means you have joined a governance structure that may limit your rights as an owner and place responsibilities on you, such as paying tax, all for which you receive the benefits of membership.

I don't think we could have a system that worked if everything in the town became the property of the town. I think the problem we face isn't whether or not we can own property in the town, but what percentage of the town belongs to us at the outset, and what EP purchases belong to us, and what don't.

Personally, I would suppose that we would start off owning a manor house, and perhaps a parcel of land, if we have a mayor package, and a count might get more land? I would further suppose that a settlement package and defense package would not provide anything that we, ourselves, owned, and additional parcels that come from an additional mayoral title likewise wouldn't be our possessions. I think any other buildings and land bought with EP could be ours. There's no reason we can't be landowners with tenants. Even if we lose our position as mayor or magistrate, we'd still be the wealthy family in those parts.

I won't get any love, and I cringe to say it, but maybe it would makes sense that we have to pay extra EP, maybe 25%, to hold the deed for any property we assign with EP, otherwise it is owned by someone else?

The Queen owns what percentage of London, again?

Incorporation entirely mean you've ceded ownership of the land to the entity and in return received voting rights representing it.

PS: The Queen really doesn't own much of London... now the Duke of Westminster........ ;)

Count Darothar, Bleak Ark

10/18/2019 1:14:35 PM #35

I am sure we will have some limitations on who buy what.... Like a Stronghold can be placed only by a Mayor with a 81+ parcel settlement, or a Keep for a 49+. But I hope we will have as much of freedom as possible. After all this is a Sandbox

10/18/2019 8:55:51 PM #36

I understand how land ownership/use rights will work after launch, but my question is specifically between DSS and Exposition.

1. If a Mayor has selected a settlement during DSS, I'm assuming that person will have all voting rights for all the parcels owned by the settlement initially?

2. A mayor with a large amount of EP decides to spend a good chunk of it on personal land (without incorporating it into the settlement). Assuming at launch, the mayor still has majority voting rights for the settlement, can he create contracts with himself on behalf of the settlement for lucrative deals that would personally net him some major cash? For instance, he claims 10 parcels around a valuable nearby resource but opts not to incorporate it, whats to stop him from abusing his majority voting rights to make massive amounts of money on the taxpayer's dime?

10/18/2019 9:15:50 PM #37

Posted By Nip at 1:55 PM - Fri Oct 18 2019

I understand how land ownership/use rights will work after launch, but my question is specifically between DSS and Exposition.

1. If a Mayor has selected a settlement during DSS, I'm assuming that person will have all voting rights for all the parcels owned by the settlement initially?

2. A mayor with a large amount of EP decides to spend a good chunk of it on personal land (without incorporating it into the settlement). Assuming at launch, the mayor still has majority voting rights for the settlement, can he create contracts with himself on behalf of the settlement for lucrative deals that would personally net him some major cash? For instance, he claims 10 parcels around a valuable nearby resource but opts not to incorporate it, whats to stop him from abusing his majority voting rights to make massive amounts of money on the taxpayer's dime?

Really the only thing that I can see that will stop them from doing that is settlement decline. If the settlement is not prosperous = less people = less taxes = settlement failure.

10/18/2019 9:19:36 PM #38

Posted By Nip at 10:55 PM - Fri Oct 18 2019

The mayor will have the majority votes, e.g. 51%+, but not all the votes.

1. whats to stop him from abusing his majority voting rights to make massive amounts of money on the taxpayer's dime?

As have been discussed here: there is most likely nothing stopping him from doing so. The weakness of any community under a 'dictatorship' is that it's vulnerable to embezzlement, so this would be something that would fall in line with reality.

However, using the settlement resources poorly and not developing it properly is also probably going to have natural consequences in that the settlement becomes more undesirable to live in, which will cause both players and NPC's to abandon it over time. A smart mayor should probably try to look for long term gain over short term gain.

10/18/2019 10:44:33 PM #39

Posted By Nip at 5:55 PM - Fri Oct 18 2019

In this case the local Count could request from the King to have this Mayors land converted to County Land which would allow it to be taxed. The Count would have good footing for this request as the Mayor in this instance is devaluing the entirety of the County... and in turn costing the King money.

Alternatively, since the Mayor's land is not taxable by the County, if bandits or raiders were to "accidentally" attack said land, the local Count may not assist in defending it without re-negotiating a new land deed contract... perhaps one that allows taxing of said land or distribution of resources to certain settlements within the County.

There are always options.

10/21/2019 9:37:01 AM #40

on the topic of "land managers" like mayors, barons, counts or whatever abusing their positions, the most likely thing to happen is the NPCs or players leaving it behind as soon as goes beyond a certain treshold of discomfort.

It will likely have a multitude of factors and the easiest to compare is our real world where people fled their homelands.

If a person still has attachments like relatives, jobs, ownership of land or buildings, they may be able to endure more, but if nothing holds them back then they will leave asap for a better location, or worse incite an uprising.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil