COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Practicality of owning a Tavern

Just wondering what would be the benefits of owning a Tavern in Elyria? Do we make money with it? Can it be destroyed permanently?

9/27/2019 6:30:02 PM #1

I believe taverns will be quite lucrative. It's no coincidence that taverns are the second building needed to grow a settlement from hamlet to village. Just one step behind a source of water! Taverns are often the beating heart of a city.

For players on long journeys, I expect they would want to stop at the local tavern/inn for room and board, stocking up on supplies and food. It is also a good place to gather information and in many games, a place where quests can be initiated.

I would expect a steady stream of income, especially for larger settlements, travel hubs and renowned taverns.

Can they be destroyed? Yes they can but I expect the repurcussions would be quite stiff for the perpetrator. Taverns are often inside a settlement with guards and sheriffs. I imagine that the aristocracy and nobles responsible for the settlement would also not be pleased. More importantly they can be rebuilt.

Greybattle County

9/27/2019 6:41:26 PM #2

Posted By Raiborn at 2:30 PM - Fri Sep 27 2019

I believe taverns will be quite lucrative. It's no coincidence that taverns are the second building needed to grow a settlement from hamlet to village. Just one step behind a source of water! Taverns are often the beating heart of a city.

For players on long journeys, I expect they would want to stop at the local tavern/inn for room and board, stocking up on supplies and food. It is also a good place to gather information and in many games, a place where quests can be initiated.

I would expect a steady stream of income, especially for larger settlements, travel hubs and renowned taverns.

Can they be destroyed? Yes they can but I expect the repurcussions would be quite stiff for the perpetrator. Taverns are often inside a settlement with guards and sheriffs. I imagine that the aristocracy and nobles responsible for the settlement would also not be pleased. More importantly they can be rebuilt.

Thank you for your response Raiborn. Where would I go to find out more about the mechanics of Elyria? For Instance finding out what buildings I would need to grow from a hamlet to a village?

9/27/2019 6:45:53 PM #3

Posted By Stitcher at

Just wondering what would be the benefits of owning a Tavern in Elyria? Do we make money with it? Can it be destroyed permanently?

Historically, taverns were proto-commercial-banks and trading hubs (when goods were sold in lots, in futures, or in shares). COE taverns could likely serve these roles for the same reasons (they are designed to be places for people to meet and mingle and cater to travelers, including traders).

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

9/27/2019 6:54:33 PM #4

Here is a good writeup on settlements on the wiki: settlements

Greybattle County

9/27/2019 7:00:48 PM #5

I'm going to answer the question of what benefit do taverns provide to others. If we assume that you are compensated in some way for each of these, it may help see the value of a tavern. Raiborn pretty much summed it up but I'm also bored at work.

• With traveling taking time and players need to eat and sleep stopping at a close by tavern/inn would most likely be the best afk or log off spots in the game.

• Taverns being a location almost everyone will want to visit for food, they become a hotspot for merchants, advertisers, bards, adventures looking for news/quest, and events.

• Food buffs and effects are going to be in the game. A standard buff in most games is temperature resistance. Stopping at a tavern before you go into a hot or cold region can be helpful for travelers.

• Taverns will be needed and supplied to make sure no one within the city walls dies of hunger or thirst. (Every counts and above will have a tavern in their city due to D&SS rules tavern owner will be one of the most needed professions)

Taverns can be destroyed but it will take siege weapons like most building.

9/27/2019 7:03:09 PM #6

Posted By Stitcher at 2:41 PM - Fri Sep 27 2019

>> Thank you for your response Raiborn. Where would I go to find out more about the mechanics of Elyria? For Instance finding out what buildings I would need to grow from a hamlet to a village?

There is also a good explanation in the Developers Journal on Land Management (#18 I think). May be a bit old but the basics should be sound.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.