COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Making the Neran Stand Out

In the world of Elyria, it seems that Nerans look like the bland oatmeal in the middle of a table full of exotic foods. With most tribes getting exciting architecture, visually unique armors, defining physical characteristics, and ways of life, and just....well.....all the cool stuff really, what do you think us Neran folk can do to really make this tribe worth people's interest beyond a neutral starter character?

I'm sure with time the Neran tribes on every server will evolve into something special due to the hard work of players.

But let's start a discussion, ANY and all ideas welcome!

Not all who wander are truly lost. They are simply unafraid of drifting; of peacefully experiencing the unknown. So crave change, deviate from the path, and venture beyond horizons. Never be afraid to get lost.

10/28/2019 5:32:02 PM #1

Why? A lot of people don't want a tribe that stands out -- want a "blank slate" tribe. That is an important option for players to have when making a character.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

10/28/2019 6:08:53 PM #2

Posted By Beathan at 1:32 PM - Mon Oct 28 2019

Why? A lot of people don't want a tribe that stands out -- want a "blank slate" tribe. That is an important option for players to have when making a character.

Well, there's nothing wrong with the Nerans being a blank slate. That itself is definately an appeal. What I'm really thinking about is Neran culture -- the clothing, the architecture, the society as a whole. Neran society can really make itself into something special, with their ability to be a jack-of-all trades.

Also, Neran kingdoms seem to be a perfect tribe to eventually become a powerhouse and a melting pot. Their language is widely known by almost all races so its easier for them to interact with just about anybody and vice versa. That means the Neran tribe could eventually become the biggest home for (and cause of) mixed races and bloodlines. And if we've got multiple races all cohabiting together in a kingdom with their unqiue attributes, there's alot of logistical, cultural, and social benefits that can be gained.

Not all who wander are truly lost. They are simply unafraid of drifting; of peacefully experiencing the unknown. So crave change, deviate from the path, and venture beyond horizons. Never be afraid to get lost.

10/28/2019 8:15:41 PM #3

Nerans will be fine. There will be religion and culture that will give them their flavor. But it will be something familiar. And that's not a bad thing. Not every tribe should be alien or exotic. More exotic tribes benefit from the Neran being more familiar

Don't overlook the Nerans, there are plenty of us out there making sure it's going to be a fun experience.

May you all ever walk in the virtuous light of Virtori.

10/28/2019 8:23:12 PM #4

Oatmeal is good for you and so are Nerans.

"Life...is strength. This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world." - Jon Irenicus

10/28/2019 9:48:21 PM #5

If you're referring to the lack of any recent shinies on the Neran tribe, it's because Neran culture was the first (and really only) stuff they've showcased - it's plastered all over the website and the media they've shared, which ironically has led to some false impressions of CoE being a low fantasy medieval world. But I like oatmeal. I also like having a tribe that can support a custom meta. I think that is the most defining feature of the Neran.

Exotics are often just a flash in the pan anyway because they force players into some niche thing. So you'll either love it or hate it. Binary choices like that don't appeal much to me, but it's a totally subjective thing. If CoE follows real life and not Star Trek, then the Neran will exist long after all the other tribes fade into obscurity.

10/30/2019 11:19:20 PM #6

Posted By Hieronymus at 2:48 PM - Mon Oct 28 2019

... If CoE follows real life and not Star Trek, then the Neran will exist long after all the other tribes fade into obscurity.

I dunno 'bout that. The Federation seems pretty Neran to me.

10/30/2019 11:30:12 PM #7

The best way to make Nerans stand out is to make it so they have no architecture or chairs.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

10/30/2019 11:40:35 PM #8

Posted By Beathan at 4:30 PM - Wed Oct 30 2019

The best way to make Nerans stand out is to make it so they have no architecture or chairs.

I like this guy.

10/31/2019 5:31:33 AM #9

A blank slate means that you can define your own direction free of prejudice. Course that doesn't mean they'll just sit idly by while you become a thief, but it does mean that until a stereotype for nerans is made beyond "bland oatmeal" you can really become whatever. depending on how profound of an effect you have on the land you can define the stereotype

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

10/31/2019 4:07:39 PM #10

Neran stand out just fine.

Check out the Village of Astyria! We are recruiting!

NA - East : Bordweall : Bloodoak : Novigrad - Shield Wall Strong! Friend Code: 3D90E8

11/25/2019 7:00:24 AM #11

Posted By Bronwyn at

In the world of Elyria, it seems that Nerans look like the bland oatmeal in the middle of a table full of exotic foods. With most tribes getting exciting architecture, visually unique armors, defining physical characteristics, and ways of life, and just....well.....all the cool stuff really, what do you think us Neran folk can do to really make this tribe worth people's interest beyond a neutral starter character?

I'm sure with time the Neran tribes on every server will evolve into something special due to the hard work of players.

But let's start a discussion, ANY and all ideas welcome!

Being the only normal tribe is how they stand out, they are the closest portrayal of humans. They are the most flexible and adaptable. And in every fantasy world I have looked at the human race is always the largest and most united and advanced.

discord insaned#6905

11/25/2019 7:06:52 AM #12

If you can't make the most flexible tribe stand out, I'd say that says more about the individual than the tribe itself. It's like having more tools available to you than everyone else and yet, somehow, not being able to make anything more unique than anyone else.

It's also like saying no humans stand out. I'd say your perspective's real weird if that's the case.

If we were born as Janoans and Elyria introduced the new human tribe, you'd get people saying "Janoans don't stand out". It's just desensitization. Heck, even among the Waerd, they'd have people who stand out from the pack in terms of what they can achieve even if they all look the same to outsiders. There's a difference between 'standing out' and 'needs to be a special snowflake'; it appears people who claim Neran can't/don't/won't stand out are looking for the latter.

11/25/2019 9:39:10 AM #13

Posted By Bronwyn at

I actually think if you would be looking unprejudiced at the tribes they all would be special and even if the Neran description reads like a description of the middle ages it is exactly this that is making them different to all the other tribes and if you like this kind of "classic" medieval theme I would say there is simply no way around the Neran.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

11/25/2019 10:25:31 AM #14

Each tribe is unique, Neran included.

Yes, Neran are more or less a genetic blank slate and they look the more human. But as Flawliss already pointed at, their culture and religion are not blank slate, it might be the closest to what idea we might have on feudality but the special link between nobility and religion and the perceived zealousness of their religious pursuits will make for a very specific tribe to play, with potentially a lot less "freedom" than people seem to think about.

It is possible that at some point tribe specifics will be watered down, either through genetic mixing or/and social mixing. But if such a thing happen it will be due to player actions and ruler's decisions.....

11/25/2019 11:47:42 AM #15

Can't pretend I see the Neran as bland or a blank slate.

We are a cross between the knights of old and steppes warriors depending on which biome we're from. Other races huddle shivering in caves in the frozen North or the leech and snake filled swamps and jungles of the South. We sit in comfort in civilisation behind walls, with a good climate to support us and plains on which to raise flocks and herds. We also have the advantage of easily traversable terrain allowing our cavalry and merchants to quickly move throughout the regions we control. Our cities are full of goods transported from near and far while quality is maintained by our guilds. You want poison go to the South, you want iron you go to the North, we sell the best mounts, luxuries, food and wine you'll ever taste. As a race we're equally good at everything while every profession and craft is strongly featured in our area.

Every part of our area is unique, my walled harbour capital is full of vessels, people and life. It changes on a daily basis. Why would I want to be anywhere else?

Count Darothar, Bleak Ark