COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Power of Faiths

I wonder what kind of force religion will be in this world, seems to be an untapped aspect so far. Could very well come be a mighty influence in the right community.

I'm also curious about restrictions, will clergy be free to Marry or forced to a life of celibacy? Much is still uncertain... If the political hierarchy is player-run / determined, then why not the same for organized churches. Seems like a potentially interesting thing to explore.

11/18/2019 12:44:09 AM #16

Posted By American Duchess at 6:59 PM - Sun Nov 17 2019

All I know is I'm increasingly attracted to the idea of starting A church/temple which follows the doctrine of the Two-fold Queen. ideally starting as a local sect then growing membership in my surrounding region, raising lesser temples. And perhaps creating a league or union to connect similar but independent churches/temples of the Two-fold Queen. I've already seen the Virtori have gained quite a following, with a "Grand church".

A couple of questions regarding your ideas:

Both the Dras and the Waerd tribes already have long established trdition with The Two Fold Queen.

1) Are you planning on playing within these tribes?

Or

2) Are you planning on forming a branch of this faith within another tribe?

If 1)

How do you plan on interacting with the already established orthodox religion?

Are you forming a splinter sect of some type?

Are you prepared for the backlash of becoming a "heratic"?

if 2)

How do you plan on interacting with the already established tribal religion you are seeking to supplant?

You do realize you will essentially be behind "enemy lines" as far as religious matters are concerned?

And that the already established version of this religion within those two tribes would also view you as hostile as well, as you are culturally appropriating their religion?

Just tossing those things out there for your consideration before you think you can just pop up a new church and everybody will just go along with it.

You will be making a major target of yourself by the current religious and civil authorities just to start.

And historically, most individual (the NPC's) were likely to remain within the "faith of their fathers" unless motivated by some pretty powerful forces to do otherwise.

Many long. bloody, and devastating wars have been fought over these issues, with a very high body count of martyrs to their causes.

It's a great story ideas and plot driver, and I wish you luck if you feel up to the challenge.

Just expect a tremendous amount of blow back if you do.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

11/18/2019 7:44:53 AM #17

To add to what @Kajoreh said, the lore surrounding the Two-Fold Queen suggests that you don't choose her, she chooses you.

[mwahaha]

In particular, she seems to choose those who have gotten themselves into dire straits by following the inclinations of their natures. If this is so, and your character is not already of a tifa tribe, then your backstory should probably include the appropriate actions and near-fatal disasters. Then, if you choose or are bestowed a religious theme for your destiny, the Queen may truly inform you with omens and visions. Otherwise, NPCs will probably just take you for a wannabe.

12/4/2019 3:49:15 AM #18

I am especially interested by the Virtori. I was wondering what everyone knew about the 7 vices and virtues. The concept art implies that these essences were incarnated as powerful elemental beings. If this is the case, what elements were represented? I was thinking that it would be cool if we had some sort of ancient poem/epic (like the Iliad) detailing the Great War between the essences. It could be used as a basis for the "Grand Church's" teachings

Sir Vereneth Faithful of the Grand Church

12/4/2019 9:05:12 AM #19

The seven vices and seven virtues of the Virtori are published in here somewhere, I believe in one of the Design Journals, but I'm too lazy to look them up for you. Check the FAQ for the DJ concerning religion if you are interested enough.

I did note that the Virtori do not consider pride to be a vice, which immediately triggered in me a notion of why it wasn't a good match for any character I currently want to play.

12/4/2019 11:30:18 PM #20

Thank you.

Sir Vereneth Faithful of the Grand Church