COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SHINY DAY (11/22/2019) - Let's Check the Replay!

Hail Elyrians!

It's a rare Friday shiny this week! I promised I'd show you all some video of the stuff folks were working on right now, but sadly my schedule was all sorts of jammed up yesterday, so I had to do some after hours recording... but hopefully you'll agree that it's worth the wait!

WIP Traversal Video 2 (Click the image to see the video)

That's it for this week's shiny everyone; stay shiny!

• Snipehunter
11/23/2019 1:13:29 AM #16

Very impressed at the myriad of choices being implemented for maneuvering around the environment.

One thing that stuck out to me was the vaulting. I had a chuckle and it reminded me of a video I watched before on how to get over a fence with style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHGKbdpHVwc

Here's how I would probably get over that low wall. https://youtu.be/ntivCnL7t4A?t=60

Happy to see the update and thanks for the shiny!

11/23/2019 2:30:58 AM #17

It's cool to see behind the veil, the test build, and the way movement puzzles are being put together. I'm worried however. I'm aware that this is ONLY a testing room, but what will you do to keep this from becoming monotonous?

@SnipeHunter, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, and I'm excited for my chance to play, but you made it seem almost tedious (probably because you see and do it literally all day)

Should we expect 'jump tests' strung together with slides and swim traps in the final build? A dodge duck dip dive and ....dodge mentality? 4 options repeat? Motivate me here because i want to be excited for this.

will these be used as 'energy/level checks' the same way higher health mobs could be construed as 'dps checks'? "i dont have enough energy to climb this ladder to the top, better go level up so i can climb higher" ?

11/23/2019 2:57:53 AM #18

The video is a good intro to the traversing mechanics.

A little bit more explanation on how some of the advance mechanics work would definitely be helpful, especially on how player & character skill is involved.

1) The movement over balancing beam, can the player stop walking forward? would that help? Will there be additional interface to communicate more info to the players?

2) Is the height that a character vault over fixed? Is the ground needed for landing also fixed?

3) What determines if a wall is suitable for wall-running? What determines how long can a player wall-run (on each type of surface)?

4) Are there anyway for players to control how far / how high each jump is? Will it be dependent on certain tribe / attributes?

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

11/23/2019 3:25:06 AM #19

All great questions. From what I can tell from the video that is exactly the things they are tweaking and testing currently. So my guess is the answers are in flux as they work through this part of development.

Divide et Impera

11/23/2019 3:54:35 AM #20

Posted By Argos at 6:30 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

It's cool to see behind the veil, the test build, and the way movement puzzles are being put together. I'm worried however. I'm aware that this is ONLY a testing room, but what will you do to keep this from becoming monotonous?

Well, at the abstract, you can think of each of the mechanics here as gears, where each one you put in place interlocks with the others in different combinations to produce differing effects on the overall machine. As a designer, I personally really like that model, because it expresses how the various can interact with each other to create something new.

Another way to look at things abstractly is to think of each mechanic as a tool on my tool belt. Each one is used to solve different problems, though a job will encompass the use of them all one point or another, often even using them in conjunction with each other. That's definitely the job of mechanics like this; Both on the game side to give players a way to respond to environmental impediments and on the development side to give us a suite of actions we can use to interact with you. Each mechanic is a verb you can use as a player to speak your intent to the game we build for you, if you prefer that model instead.

Looking at it that way, the fun, or conversely the sense of monotony doesn't come from the individual words, but from the conversation those words are used to create.

Things might change as we continue to move forward, but at the moment a player has over 40 inputs they can use to "speak" a pretty complex vocabulary of several times as many verbs. Traversal accounts for around 20 or so of the verbs and interacts with everything from a curb up to a castle or cathedral wall that's nailed down in the world. Hopefully that means the "conversation" will have everything it needs to be interesting and fun, that's definitely the goal of expanding advanced traversal the way we have.

@SnipeHunter, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, and I'm excited for my chance to play, but you made it seem almost tedious (probably because you see and do it literally all day)

Heh, note taken! It was a pretty long day, I admit, and I was getting kind of tired. I didn't mean for that to show though!

Should we expect 'jump tests' strung together with slides and swim traps in the final build? A dodge duck dip dive and ....dodge mentality? 4 options repeat? Motivate me here because i want to be excited for this.

That depends on how you look at it, I suppose. The pre-existing dungeons of the world, except for the ones that aren't, are generated with a dungeon generator algorithm we created. Part of what that does when it builds, say a cavern or a ruin, is add certain hazards and obstacles to the terrain or delving it builds so that there's some amount of risk involved in investigating these places.

That helps to create, for example, a desire to seek out the knowledge of the techniques you might use to bypass or otherwise pass through a hazard safely. That, in turn, creates a self-directed path of progression for your character; you see a hazard you want to bypass in the world, you work to acquire the ability ("to learn that verb"), and then you use that ability as well as your able to bypass said hazards. Similar hazards will no doubt be created by players in their own dungeons and delvings, as well.

The rest of the world though? Those same "verbs" work everywhere, barring obvious reasons in the world why they wouldn't, of course. This isn't a game where the environment is purpose built to constrain your use of your abilities. This is so you can do things like swing from the rigging of one ship to another, or climb the stone work of the tower to sneak in and steal the giant gem in an statue's hand inside. If you can find a good application of these methods that just emerges organically out of the state of the world, we want you take advantage of that, for sure!

So what makes that not OP and game breaking? Your physical limitations and your training. There isn't a single mechanic we've included in traversal that we didn't first find proof of actual people performing, but those people are athletes at peak performance, with ingrained training.

An Elyrian has mostly the same limitations that we do, so they're limited by how much energy they can put into an action, how much endurance they can muster over longer periods of time, how much strength they have trained into their musculature, etc.

will these be used as 'energy/level checks' the same way higher health mobs could be construed as 'dps checks'? "i dont have enough energy to climb this ladder to the top, better go level up so i can climb higher" ?

Managing the limitations I was just mentioning is certainly an aspect of successfully using all of the advanced traversal mechanics, and there will absolutely be parts of the world you can only access by knowing certain traversal techniques. Additionally, your attributes, your tribal traits, and your life choices will impact your physical performance. That does technically mean these mechanics are gated behind "checks," but not so much in the way you mean most of the time, I don't think.

I suppose there will be places where that is just pragmatically what happens though, whether by design or by virtue of the circumstances at the time. You might be a Kypiq and be looking at climbing ten story structure's outer wall and realizing you're not going to make that with your endurance values being what they are. You might then decide to try to overcome them through training... now you're looking at an energy check whether that was intentional or not, right?

That said, it's mostly about options and giving players more ability to make choices by giving them more "verbs." That same kypiq might decide to invest in gear that makes climbing that wall easier and less energy intensive instead... They might decide to try something even more extreme if they have access to the right tools.

Not sure if that answered your questions or not, but I hope that helps!

• Snipehunter
11/23/2019 8:05:33 AM #21

these are cool. there's a game in there. glad to see another bone in the skeleton

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

11/23/2019 9:54:40 AM #22

I think its about time for a new full status and production update for CoE, now that DSS is behind us. Will we get one before Christmas?

Life is too short to play bad games.

11/23/2019 7:13:21 PM #23

anyone know when alpha one will likely come out?

11/23/2019 7:27:54 PM #24

Posted By Khaltzaar at 11:13 AM - Sat Nov 23 2019

anyone know when alpha one will likely come out?

SbS has not given us an idea or estimate for when Alpha 1 should be coming out at this time.

Some community members hope/speculate that it might happen next year, but we still have Prealpha testing that is meant to occur first and we don't have a time for this yet either.

11/24/2019 2:09:05 AM #25

Perhaps these are just the most basic moves, but these aren't what I think of as Parkour. I think more of flips, running up walls, very complicated jumps, etc. Maybe I'm wrong.

11/24/2019 5:08:17 AM #26

Posted By Snipehunter at

Hail Elyrians!

It's a rare Friday shiny this week! I promised I'd show you all some video of the stuff folks were working on right now, but sadly my schedule was all sorts of jammed up yesterday, so I had to do some after hours recording... but hopefully you'll agree that it's worth the wait!

Nice

11/24/2019 1:30:24 PM #27

Posted By Snipehunter at

Hail Elyrians!

Almost 4 years of development and all you have to show us is basic movements that only took a couple hundred lines of code at most, that a JR Programmer could of done over a weekend. Seriously?

You guys are grossly behind where you said you were. Anything of real substance to show beside tech demo's?

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

11/24/2019 7:54:20 PM #28

Its funny, the system is working so well that I now wanna nitpick what things do or don't use stamina like jumping and balancing, the damage dealt by falling, lack of edge detection or IK targets when climbing up one wall to a perpendicular ledge beside it, etc.

Seems like sliding should take an initial hit of stamina then go based on momentum, angle, and friction, rather than eating stamina over the length. I kinda want studded leather where the studs are actually ball bearings in a housing, so I can slide effortlessly across/under stuff, and vault more smoothly.

This is looking great, and I'm excited to see what kinda silly obstacle courses people make! Elyrian Ninja Warrior seems reasonable to do as a show now...

Reese "Legendary Neurotoxin" Holland - COE Reddit Mod - Game Dev, but not on CoE. Talkshow on https://www.twitch.tv/theoryforge on Sundays with the rest of the Theory Forge crew!

11/24/2019 9:09:23 PM #29

I like that idea Neurotoxin. Build a parkour course in an arena and hold tournaments. Sign me up.

Divide et Impera

11/24/2019 10:02:05 PM #30

I know that it is not the focus of the Shiney, but I want to see more of the animals.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)