COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Longest Night Locked

A little surprised to see this announcement locked so quickly!

All I was going to add was for those worried about not knowing what you are going to get, don't forget about the Elyrian Marketplace on Discord.

I imagine there will be plenty of trades going on once this little event ends.

If I was to add anything else it would be only that these events do price some people out, myself included. I've splurged initially but only maintained a trickle since.

Even though I got a couple of tokens and a catapult in the last event I didn't even manage to make a purchase in all four weeks.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

11/28/2019 8:51:46 PM #16

The price is way too high and therefore only directed to a minority of the community.

I think that many in the community has gone into a “hibernation mode” after the domain selection events (me included). I was waiting for some major event to wake people up before the Settlers of Elyra, since the whole community is vital part to enlist new members. But I was wrong…

11/29/2019 4:53:19 AM #17

Posted By Syzygy at 04:36 AM - Fri Nov 29 2019

I imagine that a small group of whales are going to purchase many of the premium boxes, cashing in on the value to hoard and distribute. Meanwhile the elyrian/gentry type who maybe bought the occasional 1-2 items per sale for full price are forced to either watch their old purchases get devalued, or get sucked into the $60 (price of a AAA game) RNGfest.

Let the whales continue to hoard, just more for them to lose in-game. Nothing that has been sold is anything that would give someone a competetive advantage in-game imo.

11/29/2019 7:02:39 AM #18

Many of the items in the boxes are likely to be duplicates, or not especially useful for the recipient. Someone mentioned seeds from a different biome as an example. The people that will splurge for a larger purchase like this are also the same people that are likely to create a contest or giveaway to help those less flush in cash.

I certainly expect to see more contest and giveaway posts in the coming weeks, both to attract new players to their domains, as well as entertain and show love to the community at large using the "extras" they gained from these boxes.

Happy Thanksgiving all, and may the coming holidays bring you peace, love and cheer.

11/29/2019 9:30:21 AM #19

This is a good move and allows us to get much more back...

11/29/2019 10:15:11 AM #20

I'm so glad these calendars are not loot boxes. I would hate buying a loot box and receive something with far less value than what I spent. These calendars have guaranteed more than double return on investment

11/29/2019 11:02:49 AM #21

so where is it at, its friday already

Fuck you Caspian the<em>city</em>of_khersoness

11/29/2019 11:16:45 AM #22

Posted By Zamphox at 10:02 PM - Fri Nov 29 2019

so where is it at, its friday already

Yes it is indeed Friday....3am PST where the studio is at. You're not really expecting someone to be up at 3am on a holiday weekend to start the event are you?

11/29/2019 12:02:29 PM #23

just asking a question buddy

Fuck you Caspian the<em>city</em>of_khersoness

11/29/2019 12:13:08 PM #24

Posted By Juris Primus at 02:02 AM - Fri Nov 29 2019

Many of the items in the boxes are likely to be duplicates, or not especially useful for the recipient. Someone mentioned seeds from a different biome as an example. The people that will splurge for a larger purchase like this are also the same people that are likely to create a contest or giveaway to help those less flush in cash.

I certainly expect to see more contest and giveaway posts in the coming weeks, both to attract new players to their domains, as well as entertain and show love to the community at large using the "extras" they gained from these boxes.

Happy Thanksgiving all, and may the coming holidays bring you peace, love and cheer.

Ahh! The Elyrian version of Trickle Down economics.

11/29/2019 12:14:11 PM #25

Posted By Zamphox at 11:02 PM - Fri Nov 29 2019

just asking a question buddy

Caspian is the only one working to put the promo items out as everyone else has the Thanksgiving long weekend off, he said he was going to try to have it out midday...that would be midday PST. It could well be later than that.

11/29/2019 2:50:00 PM #26

I am curious as to why they couldn't have kept the "advent calendar" vibe (which, frankly, is a great idea, and fits the season) without choosing to add the RNG and gambling/FOMO psychology element (which is crap, and goes against the ideology they have preached in the past).

It didnt need to have both, and the choice to do it was intentional.

Makes one wonder why they went that route. Unless they understood that one method was more likely to bring in more money.

Imgur

11/29/2019 3:21:05 PM #27

Posted By Marovec at 09:50 AM - Fri Nov 29 2019

I am curious as to why they couldn't have kept the "advent calendar" vibe (which, frankly, is a great idea, and fits the season) without choosing to add the RNG and gambling/FOMO psychology element (which is crap, and goes against the ideology they have preached in the past).

It didnt need to have both, and the choice to do it was intentional.

Makes one wonder why they went that route. Unless they understood that one method was more likely to bring in more money.

Exactly the point. People are so stuck on the made-up value of the virtual items they might receive that they forgive the mechanics you describe.

This is exactly why some games give you free keys to their in-game loot boxes when they start. What a great value! Something for nothing!

Study after study has shown that if you lure people in with a great deal {including free} at the start, you will hook more of them on the loot box concept.

11/29/2019 4:40:15 PM #28

I think people here are paranoid imo

11/29/2019 5:03:42 PM #29

Your feedback has been heard, thank you for your constructive input. Since this thread is becoming an echo chamber like the last one, we're going to go ahead and lock it here.

If you have any new questions about the Longest Night Calendar that aren't this same subject reworded or rehashed over again, feel free to start a new thread.

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."