COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Heroic vs Foolish death

When we do impactful things ingame we may get storypoints, but how does the game decide if jumping over a crack in the ground with flowing lava, or passing on a suspiciously loose bridge over a valley of death has any form of value?

For all we know so far, we could be risking our ingame lives just for fun and testing things out, or trying to rescue a damsel in distress, but how would the system know or decide?

Like being on a battleground, trying to take a good screenshot selfie with a commander and saving his/her life in the process by blocking an arrow meant for said commander, while the bodyguards whose purpose got stolen away are just standing there unharmed.

How would the system calculate the heroic deed of the selfie saviour?

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

12/2/2019 9:48:27 PM #1

DJ 17

Story Points (SP) are a post-launch currency awarded to players for being active and online. Put plainly, Story Points are awarded for anything that would lead to skill advancement or an achievement that you accomplish while logged on (not your OPC). This is true whether that be through completing tasks and important quests, by playing an active role in a growing economy, or by doing something noteworthy.

Seems to me it would be less about jumping over the lava and more about successfully rescuing the damsel. Means if you Tried to save the princess, well the story engine doesn't care... if you Did though, likely it would be worth a substantial number of story points.

Same with saving someone. Defeating bandits might get you credit, healing someone might get you credit, pushing someone out of the way of a stray arrow might be heroic but unless the story engine recognizes that it probably doesn't count or at best simply counts as blocking an arrow for an achievement.

Personally I'm banking on the skill advancement portion. I want to work on my craft, and if honing my craft gets me story points well that's perfect for me.

12/2/2019 9:55:14 PM #2

Achievements can be explicitly defined as would story engine quests, but beyond the formulaic things, I just figured the gray areas would be filled in by GMs in much the way influence gets awarded through forum participation.

It could also be something determined democratically, meaning if enough people recognize something you've done, then the studio could acknowledge that by awarding story points.

Just a few thoughts.

12/3/2019 1:20:27 AM #3

Posted By Labbe at 1:48 PM - Mon Dec 02 2019

Personally I'm banking on the skill advancement portion. I want to work on my craft, and if honing my craft gets me story points well that's perfect for me.

Neran, FTW.

12/3/2019 5:18:35 AM #4

Posted By Labbe at 4:48 PM - Mon Dec 02 2019

DJ 17

Story Points (SP) are a post-launch currency awarded to players for being active and online. Put plainly, Story Points are awarded for anything that would lead to skill advancement or an achievement that you accomplish while logged on (not your OPC). This is true whether that be through completing tasks and important quests, by playing an active role in a growing economy, or by doing something noteworthy.

Seems to me it would be less about jumping over the lava and more about successfully rescuing the damsel. Means if you Tried to save the princess, well the story engine doesn't care... if you Did though, likely it would be worth a substantial number of story points.

Same with saving someone. Defeating bandits might get you credit, healing someone might get you credit, pushing someone out of the way of a stray arrow might be heroic but unless the story engine recognizes that it probably doesn't count or at best simply counts as blocking an arrow for an achievement.

In the wise words of an old friend... "Do or do not... there is no try."

12/3/2019 8:27:12 AM #5

Very interesting subject, my assumptions is that "actions" do not have any value of themselves, but only through how " witness" report it through the gossip/knowledge system.

Example would be :

• entering a cave inhabited by something dangerous, killing it would only be worth anything (story point wise) only if someone was spreading the knowledge that you did it ( your character included), if no one knows you did it, you'd earn nothing from doing it.

• an other one would be two character doing the same thing, but one only spreading the word to a limited number of characters while the other would spread the knowledge wider, the second one would earn more points for the same deed.

Those assumptions come from the fact that Elyria is a living world that is intended to be played, not gamed (sure people can and will game it while playing it) which means to me that actions must not only be done in game but also in game spirit, feeding the gossip and knowledge system, which in turns feed the story engine not only for your character but for the whole world, and it is that feeding which earns people story points because it is that feeding that let the system build stories.

12/3/2019 11:06:39 AM #6

Those examples would mean that you always need to have at least one companion to witness your glory, otherwise you can be saving the whole world, which amounts to nothing without anyone to see. But the opposite would be true, with a unknown peasant blocking an arrow, earning huge SP amounts if it was aimed at some lord and seen by many.

Posted By Labbe at 10:48 PM - Mon Dec 02 2019

With crafters and researchers often times working alone in a secluded room, the story points would be nonexistent without a witness, so it has to be something else.

Add to that the chance of failure, not just in adventures, but also crafting and research. Blowing up a whole block while researching and crafting could at least generate some SP as compensation to losing home and head, while making problems for surroundings that result in new story/content.

Just giving out SP for only those who succeed, will increases it's worth, but makes others hesitate to even try if there is nothing gained from a failed attempt.

Like some say, nobody is perfect or gets it with the first try, but then those who failed first should not go empty handed.

For example: an explorer who finds ruins, but gets killed by traps, making it easier for the next who dies and makes it easier for the next. Would be very unfair if only the last person walking to the treasure without effort gets awarded SP. Would finding the traps be already worthwile, maybe only springing or disarming it, but failing and dying would give no points, unless someone else comes by and sees the corpse as a hint/warning, thus giving value to the next player.

I think even if a person going solo fails or dies on an adventure, it would generate some SP when another persons sees the remains. In other words anything that feeds some form of information into the system, not necessarily creating a new storyline, would give out some SP.

Depending on how it is earned, many might refrain from being the first to try something risky, when the risk isn't compensated enough. Might as well wait until others failed and revealed information to succeed, like adding less sulfur to the gunpowder mixture so it does not blow up immediately.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

12/3/2019 5:02:54 PM #7

Heroic vs Foolish death. Kind of funny how close those two things can be in the end.

I was trying to use that little kid as a human shield, but instead it looked like I was trying to save him when that arrow shot me in the head.

The game won't be able to tell the difference.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

12/3/2019 6:14:41 PM #8

I'd love to see us keep a chronicle of stupid deaths. We could even re-enact them in arenas to to the tune of Horrible Histories' "Stupid Deaths" song.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

12/4/2019 6:00:38 PM #9

Posted By markof at 03:27 AM - Tue Dec 03 2019

Very interesting subject, my assumptions is that "actions" do not have any value of themselves, but only through how " witness" report it through the gossip/knowledge system.

Example would be :

• entering a cave inhabited by something dangerous, killing it would only be worth anything (story point wise) only if someone was spreading the knowledge that you did it ( your character included), if no one knows you did it, you'd earn nothing from doing it.

• an other one would be two character doing the same thing, but one only spreading the word to a limited number of characters while the other would spread the knowledge wider, the second one would earn more points for the same deed.

Those assumptions come from the fact that Elyria is a living world that is intended to be played, not gamed (sure people can and will game it while playing it) which means to me that actions must not only be done in game but also in game spirit, feeding the gossip and knowledge system, which in turns feed the story engine not only for your character but for the whole world, and it is that feeding which earns people story points because it is that feeding that let the system build stories.

That would be one solution, but it raises several other issues. For starters, they say that SP would be awarded for anything that influences the story.

I'd say assassinating a King massively influences the story, and should thusly earn SP. But, if its dependent on people knowing you took an action, then the assassin would have to go on and start publicly announcing he killed the King- hardly an immersive experience.

Instead, I think SP could hijack the gossip mechanic. The game tracks your action- ie, killing a king- then awards you story points based on how much gossip it generates. Since the death of a King should be a very talked about event, you should see a lot of SP.

Likewise, killing a monster of note would definitely be noticed by a nearby town, starting up the gossip mechanic there as well.

After typing all this up, however, I realize that it would be very easy to farm SP in this manner by seeding towns with gossip to continously keep a certain character or event in circulation.

12/4/2019 6:21:28 PM #10

You get story points for participating in the story. Trying to get somewhere to take a selfie and dying from the fall doesn't seem like it would be something story related.

In my experience with mmos(CoE could do thing totally different) when getting credit for something you have to be in the area of an objective or you have to interact with something that would give you credit. If there is a jump puzzle in a dungeon surrounded by lava, falling there is something that system could detect.