COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Can 1 character gain all skills max like in Runescape?

There are two types of skill maxing I have seen. Ultima Online where a player has a finite set of max skills they can get where they must juggle which they want the most. And there is the Runescape method where any player can max any skill that is in the game.

I really want skills to work like in Runescape and I am not sure which way this game works; like Runescape or Ultima Online. Can anybody answer which way it is?

12/9/2019 6:51:13 PM #1

You can theoretically, however its impractical. there are no skill caps but the more you diversify the harder to gain skill overall as your time is split between various skills.

TLDR: Yes but its impratical

12/9/2019 7:00:08 PM #2

I would say no you can't There is no max skill. To even master one skill takes more than one lifetime. Add to that skill atrophy when not being used. I would say a hardcore player may be able to become and keep Master status on 2 or 3 max skills. Grand Master or Legendary would be 1 skill max. At least how I have interpreted the skill system.

Divide et Impera

12/9/2019 7:02:25 PM #3

Impossible to say definitively, but I don't believe it will be possible for two reasons:

1) Skill decay.

2) It is supposed to take several lifetimes to achieve max rank, so you simply won't have enough time to do that for every skill within the 10 year time frame of the game.

12/9/2019 7:14:16 PM #4

CoE is a bit of a hybrid between the two.

As far as we know, there are no 'hard skill caps'. However. It's been said it takes several lifetimes to reach 'legendary' level in any single skill, and when you die a permadeath, you loose (a percentage of the) skill levels as well. So, simply due to time constraints, it's likely to be impossible to max out all skills.

For some background information, these pages are a good place to start:

(I also recall reading somewhere that unused skills will deteriorate, but I have been unable to find the quote).

12/9/2019 7:30:01 PM #5

(Crossing my fingers), I hope this isn't true but are skills raised over time like in Eve Online? I really like Runescapes model.

12/9/2019 7:38:04 PM #6

No. They raise with use and decay when you stop using them. They also reset every lifetime but you retain skill ramps to help you get back to where you were in your last life quicker.

12/9/2019 7:38:47 PM #7

Posted By Exselzior at 2:30 PM - Mon Dec 09 2019

(Crossing my fingers), I hope this isn't true but are skills raised over time like in Eve Online? I really like Runescapes model.

Raising professions requires player skill, you can't just set your OPC to max out or really even work on various professions like blacksmithing. I expect your OPC will be able to do simple tasks like gathering, eating, drinking, sleeping, and maybe something like a stall worker. But no, no one will be able to log off for two months and come back to be some legendary baker or tailor :-)

12/9/2019 7:41:50 PM #8

If you have an old soul, perfect family setup, neran, ward, school/academy, guild, and soulmate skill ramps max for however many lives it takes to max out each of the skills and keep up with the knowledge and research aspects of the game it might be possible to do it around a decade or so.

If you think of things in terms of SWG form changes like liches or other ascension classes might require multiple or complete masteries of skill trees or talent unlocks to become certain things if you hedge your bet the right way.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

12/9/2019 8:05:26 PM #9

No one knows because they still have basically no concrete mechanics confirmed after several years

12/9/2019 8:33:09 PM #10

Keara gave the best answer so far. You are only limited by your skill ramp and the time left on your spark of life (52 weeks max) and then your character will die and you will have to start from 0 again, albeit with a potentially better skill ramp.

Just to temper expectations though, you really should not expect to reach legendary in 2 crafts (without immense effort) let alone all of them.